December 2016 Weekend Rundown

A little pricey. $35.
Lots of side dishes.
Galbijjim is enough for one person.
Ymmv.

That seems very cheap to me, as I just paid $46 at Sun Nong Dan and got 1/3 the banchan. Maybe it was a bit larger, but it was almost more filled out with potatoes, rice cakes, carrots, etc…

How much are the larger galbijjim’s at Soban, assuming there are larger ones than individual sized?

I will have to get back to you on that. Went by myself for lunch but didnt see a larger option on the menu.

In that Soban banchan pic, bottom row second from the left…that celery (I think it is) is the teets, one of the best banchan sides.

Soban’s galbijim is kinda on the sweet side.

Lol celery. I was trying to figure out what that was

I wish I could go in and just order the banchan array.

2 Likes

800 DEGREES (Playa Vista)
Before seeing Star Wars this past weekend, I had the misfortune of eating at the new 800 Degrees in Playa Vista. It was my first time at an 800deg, and it will prolly be my last. I mean, nothing too offense, but it’s just not worth going through that chaotic ordering system and meh pizza again, me thinkst.

RICKY’S FISH TACOS
Finally got out to try 'em for the first time this past weekend. Overall, it lived up to the hype!

The portions were definitely more generous than the ones in @Chowseeker1999’s recent pictures, and they all had a nice crunch. I especially liked 'em with the red sauce/salsa. The one thing I will say - it almost felt like more of a taco of textures vs. taste. I didn’t get a ton of the fried fish flavor coming through. The crunch was nice, and the fish inside soft and flaky, but not super flavorful. Where is a better fish taco? Malibu Seafood?

Oh, and that horchata is choice. Really punched up with cinnamon.

ASAP PHORAGE (Playa del Rey)
I don’t know if it’s the best soup in town as Eater LA listed, but the beef pho is pretty dang solid. It seems to have gotten better too, as they’ve settled into the location. The prep still takes quite a while, but once you’re digging in, it’s worth the wait. Maybe we need to start a soup-specific thread?

8 Likes

Hi @President_Mochi,

Thanks for the report back. :slight_smile: Re: Ricky’s. Oh no doubt. When Ricky is there (he wasn’t there last time we went, but was there every other time we’ve gone over the years), the Fish Tacos are arguably the best in the city. :slight_smile:

It just seems like his assistants he left in charge (when we last went) were just not on point.

Very typical of fish taco. You use mild delicate fleshed fish. No self respecting fisherman in Baja would use Marlin for this type of prep. If you like stronger fish flavors, check out the Smoked Marlin Tacos at Conis.

–Dommy!

1 Like

Ugh. Sorry to hear that. I went to it recently and was SO excited, but they seemed to have changed the model and the ingredient quality. When it first started in Westwood, it was a great deal. Now it’s coming out to $$ for pizza that is awful in 5 seconds. Better to go to Settebello up the street.

–Dommy!

3 Likes

I totally agree. 800 Degreed used to be pretty darn good, but now I’m not even interested in the new location.

2 Likes

Rickys horchata for $1 is one of the best $1 items in all of So Cal.

Best fish taco with best horchata.

2 Likes

YES. I friggin love em.

Amen.

As far as I’m concerned, it’s officially Christmas weekend starting yesterday.

Bar Nine, coffee to go.

I had the purple egg pot. It comes in a glass jam jar layered with mashed potatoes on the bottom, two poached eggs drizzled with non-garlicky pesto in the middle, and two little tangles of pickled onion and pickled cabbage on top. It was weird, but really, really good.

Costco.

Meat. (I did not get annoyed with the crowds at all, because I am smart and had a coffee and a Valium on the drive over.)

Daikokuya

This is closest I’ve ever come to finishing a bowl of ramen. It is that good. And having just braved Marshall’s for cheap wine glasses, I was very thirsty, so I had a Sapporo too. Don’t laugh, it was incredibly thirst-quenching and calming.

Bar Nine
3515 Helms Avenue, Culver City
(In Hayden Tract, off National Blvd, not in the Helms Bakery District off Washington. The Expo Line splits Helms Avenue.)

Costco, on Washington Blvd., at Lincoln
Marina del Rey

Daikokuya, on Sawtelle Blvd., at Olympic
West L.A.

6 Likes

2 Likes

“Feast of 7 fishes” at Go’s

Pt 1: Ankimo, braised tuna and codfish eggs, smoked ocean trout, Tsubagai shell

Pt 2: - sorry no pics. Kawahagi, mutsu and kanpachi

Pt 3: oToro, kawagishi Toro, Japanese swordfish, maguro

Pt 4: Shirako

Pt 5: Hokkaido uni, kuruma ebi, hairy crab, scallop

Pt 6: akagai, abalone, mirugai, tairagai (pen shell)

Pt 7: Finale blue crab

12 Likes

Posole from Zacatecas Restaurant in Hawthorne. Plenty of hominy and pork hiding under the rich red broth. A perfect meal for the wet weather.

9 Likes

Spaghetti with tarako, squid, uni, seaweed, and shimeji mushrooms in butter sauce:

Spoon House
1601 W Redondo Beach Blvd
Gardena, CA 90247

9 Likes

Christmas Eve At Fatburger.

4 Likes

Had a lovely Christmas dinner at Sea Harbour. For two of us, we ordered live steamed fish (2 pound red cod steamed with soy), minced pork with fermented black bean and water chestnuts, pea leaves, fish maw soup with something I missed, braised tofu with oyster mushrooms, fried rice with egg white and dried scallop, and some buns with salty yolk. The cooking was really deft and light–my favorite things were the fish and the minced pork. Fish was pricey for what it was but quite tasty. Place was about 3/4 full–saw Jordan Kahn walk in with a bunch of people.

Just to give people an idea on price–this was $110 a person after tax and tip. The bulk of the 220 came from the fish–it accounted for almost half of the bill. I don’t regret it, meal was delicious, but going here for seafood is definitely a special occasion thing.

5 Likes