December 2019 Rundown

El Huarache Azteca in Highland Park

Remembered to take pictures this time. Got huitlacoche, flor de calabaza, pollo, chorizo, milanesa, and papa con chorizo. My favorites were the chorizo and pollo. Also got quesadilla de maiz which was very good but I forgot to take a pic.

Donut Friend in Highland Park

Custard Front Drive, a cakey pumpkin donut which are both awesome. Creme brulee donut was just ok.

Pizza Wagon in Sherman Oaks
Love this place. Friend got a white slice, really liked it, then got a regular cheese slice and thought that was way better. Can’t get enough of their meatball and finally got to try the Sicilian which was pretty darn good.

12 Likes

Kareems in Anaheim well known for their falafel. I ordered their veggie plate called the Plantbasedfatkid that came with 4 grape leaves, 5 falafel, hummus, baba, tabouli and 2 warm pitas.

The falafel were very good. Some of the best I’ve had anywhere. The hummus was not silky smooth and a touch on the salty side. I’m still not sure if I like it or not. Baba was excellent with a great kiss of smoke but ice cold. It was clearly coming straight from the fridge so I brought it home. Tabouli was sharp and bright.

12 Likes

Sorry not sure why this post was duplicated.

1 Like

Venison tartar
21 day aged duck
190 day aged ribeye

All insanely meaty and delicious would have preferred the steak to be a little more rare, but it wasn’t enough for us to send it back.

Charcoal is legit!

8 Likes

Sonoratown & Purgatory bang bang

chivichanga :heart_eyes:
burrito 2.0 with costilla :roll_eyes:
terrestrial & white iverson pizza :yum:

7 Likes

What is in the chivichanga?

Delicious patty melt from cassells, juicy beefy goodness. Perfect for a cold December night.

Sorry for the shitty photo but it was a screen grab from my insta story.

Anyone know of other good patty melts around town? One of my favorite things to eat as a teen late night at steak and shake.

6 Likes

Castells is pretty much top of the list. Panns also does a great one, but it can be greasy at times. I like the Burgers at Black Sheep in DTLA, but have yet to try their Patty Melt… it has bacon.

2 Likes

Uhh I think bacon makes it unofficially not a patty melt, one of the handful of times that bacon does not make a dish better.

Thanks if I stop at panns maybe I’ll give there’s a try.

1 Like

Yeah. That is what is stopping me from trying it… not a huge fan of Bacon on Burgers… And yes! If you haven’t had Panns, definitely try… it’s a lunch place… I think it closes like at 4p or something…

1 Like

Posted about my patty melt from Pann’s earlier in the thread here. @ebethsdad recommended the Bellwether here.

3 Likes

Agree on Panns (with @Dommy and @joy). It’s a “2/3 pound” according to menu. I’ve eaten too many to count.

Their onion rings are pretty tasty too.

Still have yet to visit Cassells. Looks good.

1 Like

End up there a lot. Great place for solo dining, Love their veg preparations also

2 Likes

I seem to remember they used to be an all day restaurant did they reduce their hours?

They did - a year or so back.

I do love Pann’s but i’m a traditionalist when it comes to the patty melt. its gotta come with swiss not american and i think the bigger patty -though juicy -throws the sandwich out of balance.

most here love it though so it’s worth trying

2 Likes

Was in K-Town for a team outing yesterday. We made our way through quite a few places.

Quarters KBBQ - I know @TheCookie adores this place and I can see why. The protein quality was quite good, and for our group of 7, the large set menu was just the right amount of food…my only gripe was that I wish there was a bit more of a couple of the beef options…one portion served, there was only 6 slices and 7 people. I liked the Peruvian aji-style sauce, but I’m a simplistic sesame oil/sal/pepper fan…it lets the meat just shine. The setting and ambiance was great for our group and they tossed in a bottle Hite on the house since we went through so many with our meal.

Lobby Bar at the Line Hotel - A pretty chill bar offering happy hour drinks until 6PM. We had a couple of rounds…I particularly enjoyed the Rum Diary…super refreshing…and it made me wish for a Caribbean beach.

EP & LP - I know, not K-Town…but everyone wanted one last stop for the evening that had good music and a good bar. The drinks were pretty tasty. A couple of folks were hungry, so they enjoyed the chicken sandwich and fries on the late night menu.

4 Likes

We were lucky to be invited to their home on this occasion a few weeks back , but Chinese laundry will be doing a chinese duck roast using diy barrel drums in highland park at sunbeam vintage this sunday 11-4 pm so wanted to give you all a heads up. He ages and dries them for at least 4 days and puffs/blanch the skin before roasting over wood fire

Needless to say it was as good as it looks… it’ll be a spectacle to see this on the streets on highland park.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B56bNGchB_e/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

20 Likes

Thanks, @hppzz for the news. I may or may not be curating a tour of LA on Sunday. I think my cousin would love to see this on the streets of L.A.

4 Likes

Hopefully i will have time to go. thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

4 Likes