December 2019 Rundown

I think I might be able to make this… :slight_smile:

1 Like

1 Like

Holy crap, something you definitely don’t see often (or at all) in the US. Definitely not a repetitive concept :clap:

2 Likes

Moulin opened up in the old ST Patisserie space. They have outposts in Newport, Laguna and San Clemente. Seems like a nice selection of pastries but I didn’t indulge.

2 Likes

We tried a few. Passion Mango was good. Tarts were so so.

1 Like

Not posole, which I go out and die for every night…

But pizza?!

3 Likes

Girl, you do have fun!

I hadn’t thought about it but you’re right about Quarters. I’m usually craving a tad more of beef after our set is finished. I’m a sesame oil/salt/pepper person too.

2 Likes

Lots of fun can be had when on the company dime! We hit it hard yesterday.
Yeah, Quarters works for the most part. I was a bit put off by the couple of beef offerings…there were 7 of us at the table, but they no joke brought out literally 6 slices…how are we supposed to divide that? Would it have killed them to make sure that there’s at least a slice per person? It worked out better with bulgolgi and the larger format meats where they grilled and cut into pieces. I was a huge fan of their marinated pork…because the marinade caramelized and had a touch of sweetness. One more thing confounded me…how on earth are you supposed to use the cheese fondue they leave on the grill? Seems like a waste to have it with quality meat.

2 Likes

Funny… that’s just careless (clueless?) not adding at least one more slice of beef. :roll_eyes: Idk if this is the case at Quarters but some have pointed out that KBBQ workers are treated badly - low wages, owners keeping tips, etc. That might include getting in trouble for giving extra meat. Last time we were there I gave our server part of the tip directly even though she acted less than enthused with her job, lol.

Haha… I was conflicted about the fondue, but after dipping the grilled veggies in it I had to admit it was pretty darn good. I love that thicker cut of meat too! (boneless short rib?). The place seems like a party place (and it is) but the meat is really good and I like the fresh little salads with the banchan. They have pretty good ventilation too.

1 Like

Vegetable ramen, add egg, at Silverlake Ramen (original location). Lots of veggies, egg was well seasoned. Huge bowl. Good option to warm up on a chilly night in Silver Lake.

7 Likes

Zhengyalov Hatz, Glendale

This is a one-dish restaurant, you simply order as many as you like (one pp should be enough). It’s a sort of Armenian herb roll, apparently often grab-and-go street food. It’s stuffed with 12 herbs and spices (though the reported number varies a bit), bright and tart and pretty awesome on fresh-baked flatbread that almost takes on the sort of dusty stretchy Dalmatian spotted earthiness of a good pizza crust.

The food arrives fast, and they have a bunch of interesting sounding drinks with which I was unfamiliar.

@Nemroz, any better info than I have?

6 Likes

the number of herbs is a point of pride…read about this first from the book, Lavash. LAVASH The Book on Instagram: "Hi everyone! Today is exactly 8 weeks away from the release of Lavash (on sale October 29th everywhere you buy books). We received our early author copies a few weeks back, and we would now love to share some pictures of it. Preorders are open (in places like your favorite independent book stores, big box book sellers, Amazon, etc...). We would LOVE for you to give our book a boost by making a preorder. Preorders gets the sales algorithm juices flowing. The more preorders our book gets, the more attention it receives, and helps the cause to get the word out about the amazing gastronomy of Armenia! We will follow up soon with book tour info and schedules. Look forward to meeting you all soon! . . . @lavashthebook @kateleahycooks @arazada @johnleepictures @chroniclebooks @tumocenter @tumostudios @snacky_onassis #betterwithlavash #lavashthebook #armenia #hayastan #cookbook #hamov", glad to see that it’s locally available to try.

2 Likes

Is it dry? It seems like something you’d want to have a dipping sauce for–but I realize I’m saying this from a position outside the culture, so I may have no idea what I’m talking about.

3 Likes

Hi. I’m quite enjoying the coming to light of my and my dad’s favorite dish.

It is supposed to be boat shaped, not really rolled up so they’re saving time. My aunties make it the best obviously but it is always available at the better armenian bakeries and delis around. T&Y for example.

One issue i have with it is that without sorrel they’re not making it tart enough. They’re not adding enough lemon. It’s food of gods and is a perfect food with no fat, though people like to add butter.

I should endeavor and make it since i have good cooking tools. Not sure why i’ve been lazy on this. When aunties make it it’s a whole production line and us boys are charged with the heavy work of rolling out the dough.

Jingyalov haats just means stuffed bread.

4 Likes

Speaking of sorrel my backyard plant is loving this weather. Let me know if you want any more.

3 Likes

Thanks, you’re very kind. You should make a borsch!

1 Like

There’s some moisture in there from the way the herbs are cooked, I assume, so I didn’t find it too dry. Personally I do think I would probably enjoy some hot sauce with it, but it’s not necessary. I did unroll a bit and sprinkle a fair amount of sumac and a pinch of salt into the middle (from jars on the table), which I enjoyed.

Interesting! Their website says 15 herbs, but in person she told us 12.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for sharing the knowledge! It’s a pretty awesome snack, though I think it might be tough to sustain a full storefront on this one dish alone. I’d love to try some other versions.

And it was interesting - I got one to go for my wife, and hers wasn’t rolled up and was more of a flatbread shape, which might be closer to the boat? Not sure if there’s a logic behind the difference in to-go vs eat-in shapes.

1 Like

They’re not supposed to serve anything but boat shapes like this! There arent supposed to be any versions. Supposed to be tasty enough to not have to season. Not supposed to be a flavor bomb just an herbaceous simple bread
. It’s totally weird to have a place focused on them but I’m glad and am fascinated

3 Likes

wow that looks great!