December 2020 Rundown

7 Likes

Kiki's

13 Likes

When returning from picking up another fantastic dinner from Colapasta, I saw a big new restaurant open next door to Bagel Nosh. Thought I saw a sign saying La Puglia but not 100%. Nothing on Toddrickallenn about it; anybody got deets?

When I posted a few months ago, there was essentially no intel.

The cream puffs at Chantilly Patisserie are still the best.

11 Likes

Thanks @A5KOBE for the Toros Market chip rec! I dropped by while waiting for my Burritos La Palma order for chips, salsa, and guacamole. The chips were a delight and made for easy chilequiles breakfasts this week. They blow the Northgate chips out of the water since Toros actually seasons their chips with salt. It makes such a difference.
I’ll probably be back this week since everyone is asking for a NYE nacho bar.

3 Likes

The Antelope Valley (Lancaster, Palmdale, Quartz Hill, Hi Vista :wink:) is past the SFV, past Santa Clarita. Still LA County.

The Antelope Valley is my neck of the woods, I have to drive appx. 45-50 minutes to get to Pacoima (mmm, Birreria Apatzingan). Good to see Me Gusta is still out around, and getting some notice, something that didn’t happen when they were in Lancaster…except amongst locals. Bill Esparza mentioned them in his rundown of tamales for Eater LA :+1:

3 Likes

Lovely strawberry Christmas cake from Patisserie Chantilly. I felt bad cutting into it! The meringue Santa and snowman were a cute touch.

22 Likes

Is that essentially a larger slice of the gateau fraise (which I bought yesterday)?. Such a lovely cake. One of our favorite desserts around.

2 Likes

Yes! It’s about the size of four slices of the gateau fraise.

1 Like

Catching up in the last few hours of 2020 to wrap up the month!

All Time

Salmon and Crispy Rice

Wow this is legit. Not only is the salmon perfectly cooked with a crisp skin, but the sushi rice beneath has some fantastic socarrat action going on. It’s then taken up a level with greens and roasted onion mixed in, and with a generous squeeze of the charred lemon, this dish just gets amped up to another level. Get a side of the pique hot sauce too, because even though it isn’t that spicy, it is a tasty sauce that adds more acid for when you run out of lemon juice.

The fried brussels sprouts are superb. While they don’t quite reach the heights of Mizlala’s fried Brussels sprouts because they’re simpler, it’s still an exceptional side dish to a wonderful meal. All time is really like having your friends cook for you.

Porridge + Puffs

Corn Mochi Cookie

I’m a bit mixed on this cookie. It’s not that sweet, and is kind of like the firm crust of a mildly sweet corn bread. So go in knowing that it’s not that sweet, especially contrasted against another corn cookie such as the one at Milk Bar which is insanely sweet. The mochi filling isn’t that sweet either, but is a necessary element because it binds the crumbly corn cookie together. I still prefer the miso chocolate chip, but this is still an interesting and novel effort.

I also finished up 2020 in San Francisco, so many many many more thoughts on some great meals here.

17 Likes

Finally have someone that gets me. I find everything at Milk Bar insanely sweet.

3 Likes

The level of Milk Bar sweetness is optimal for the pallet of an 11 year old. To the rest of us mortals, individual bites can be good, but damn it’s challenging to finish a whole item off their menu by oneself :joy:

7 Likes

Ehh

1 Like

I have a high tolerance for sugar :sweat_smile: but I stand by their cakes (albeit also with limited bites). I wasn’t a big fan of their cookies because when I starting wondering if it’s too sweet then I know others definitely think it is.

A few more things to round out 2020.

Seung Buk Dong Kalbi Jjim and Dduk Gook - ok maybe I ate the latter a few days earlier than New Years :sweat_smile:

Gjusta their menu is reduced to breakfast sandwiches and the fish plate (and of course the baguette and sourdough loaf I ordered not shown here). Still really like their fish offerings. No prime rib sandwich at the moment :frowning:

Thanks to @thecounterpart for the Spanish fish hookup!

18 Likes

This is becoming a theme. It’s about the 3rd time in month I’ve read about a Chopped Cheese and I’d never heard of it before. Hmmm… I must try.

1 Like

That looks like my favorite way to eat @NYCtoLA. What Spanish fish hookup? I want the hookup? :blush:

1 Like

@thecounterpart was selling them before the holidays, message him for his availability.

2 Likes

Ahhh… I remember. I was confused because NYCtoLA thanked T3t. :wink: Thanks!

2 Likes