December 2021 Rundown

A bang bang with Needle’s chili oil would be perfect.

5 Likes

Finding myself in downtown tomorrow to pick up at La Flor de Yucatán.
Anything else within a few miles radius that would be fun to pick up while I’m nearby?
Was thinking Holbox, but it may be tough with rain and parking.

6 Likes

@attran99 Birria de chivo from El Parian? Cash only though, and parking might be hard.

3 Likes

Parking right outside Mercado Paloma is usually only busy on the weekends. Plus there’s usually quite a bit of parking right outside of parking lot on the street.

Some suggestions.

1.Heard superfine is better again.

1. Og pasta sisters

2. Broken mouth great hawaiian food.

3. Torta Movil south of 10 not as good as torta df but still some of best tortas in town.

4. Cinco puntos (might be a little far) or carnitas el Momo (depending on their truck location) for carnitas.

7 Likes

langer’s curbside pickup

9 Likes

Dinos Chicken and Fries with extra sauce!

Olympic Noodle kalgooksoo, mandu, kimchi.

7 Likes

Danny Boy’s Pizza for pie and meatballs.

5 Likes

Picking up a few pies from Danny Boy for my coworkers tomorrow! The pies are up there with Pizza Wagon for us.
Interesting space they’re in.
Happy Holidays everyone!

6 Likes

Sweets from Doubting Thomas
https://www.instagram.com/p/CXEUWHYpNYm/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

7 Likes

Interesting hours they keep as well. I understand why they’re not open on the weekends but makes it hard for non local people to try the pizzas.

You guys hiring :wink:

3 Likes

Tony’s slice house (San Leandro):

9 Likes

Man I loved Porkys Pizza Palace in San Leandro when I was a kid

1 Like

Huh, I hadn’t heard of that. Nice to be able to get his stuff without dealing with North Beach. Last time I tried to go there it turned out to be SantaCon, oops. I’ll have to try their Detroit.

Seems like it’s been there for awhile. Was also a new one that just opened down near Menlo Park.

@wanderlustre and @Gr8pimpin are my pizza kindred spirits! This really comes closest Pizza Wagon, but without the schlep to Sherman Oaks.

The crust is a touch crisp, has a nice chew, and tasted so good with their house sauce. I was able to eat a margarita slice and a garlic knot in the car on the way home. The fam is going to get the Sicilian pepperoni and meatballs when I get home.

The rain did a number on traffic and mobility to get around today. But the pick up at La Flor was successful…as was a Holbox stop and Danny Boy’s.

Holbox notes pending because I can’t eat seafood stew/soup or scallop aguachiles in the car…too messy.

17 Likes

That crust I think should be better than pizza wagon. I think they do a 3 day cold ferment.

Looks awesome!!! How are the knots and meatballs?

I found myself downtown today on a business errand but the weather and time kept me from my appointed pizza rounds.

2 Likes

It indeed tastes a touch fermented, and I quite enjoyed it. I also enjoyed the sauce since it’s got a rich, umami and sweet tomato flavor with just a bit of spices and herbs.
The family…chowpups especially, loved the meatballs. I found them a bit filler-y, but when hanging out in that sauce, anything can be good.
The Sicilian Pepperoni was a hit! Lovely grease chalices and a fantastic balance of crust to toppings and sauce ratio. They love this style of pizza. I’d be happy to stick to the NY slice…it’s so good!
For those unfamiliar, it’s located in the Wells Fargo Center. Enter the parking lot/structure on Hope street. Follow the signs to the right elevator and it’s on the first floor. You smell the pizza as soon as you walk in the building.
The folks who work there are mightily privileged.

6 Likes

Holbox

This seafood caldo is one of the most intense seafood dishes I’ve ever eaten. Rich in tastes from the sea. Perfectly cooked seafood and a broth that can make a flip flop taste good. You do need the bread to sop up the broth, but by itself, it is nothing to write home about. The star of the show is the caldo.

The scallop aguachiles was exceptional. Bright and punchy in flavor and the scallops were sweet as candy, so it was very well balanced. Anyone have ideas on how I can repurpose the aguachile salsa? I have so much left and it seems a waste to throw away something so good. Also a first for me today, the saltines with the aguachiles…I usually eat them with chips. The buttery-like crackers brought it to the next level. I might never buy regular saltines, again.

20 Likes

Fishing With Dynamite in Manhattan Beach

When I made the reservation this afternoon, it gave me the option of selecting between their Christmas Eve tasting menu and their regular menu, so I selected the latter. When we were seated we were informed that they were only doing their tasting menu. While I was a little disappointed because I was craving their great koshihikari rice dish and clam chowder, everything on the tasting menu was pretty great! Plus they had the key lime pie on there, thankfully. I did request outdoor seating if possible when I made the res, but we were seated indoors.

Amuse Bouche - Bigeye Tuna Tostada (spicy mayo, smoked trout roe):

Hamachi Sashimi (citrus ponzu, crushed avocado, serrano chile, micro shiso):

Thai Shellfish Soup (panang curry, makrut lime, coconut mousse):

Pan Roasted Monkfish (market cauliflower, roasted romanesco, Fresno chile, anchovy battuto):

Seared Maine Diver Scallops (Anson Mills grits, roasted winter squash, cranberries, aged balsamic, brown butter):

Butterscotch Budino (salted caramel, rosemary pecan sandies):

Key Lime Pie (Graham cracker crust, Italian lime meringue):

Also ordered a dozen wonderfully briny Kumiai oysters:

23 Likes