December Weekend Rundown (2015)

@PorkyBelly, how was Chi Spacca compared to before the chef left?

nice day - what is the rice dish?

That was the kimchi fried rice at republique, i would not order it again.

This was my first time back since Colby left and it was good as ever.

I had quite an indulgent weekend and it’s not even over!

Saap for dinner thursday
Friday I got the oyster thing on with the buck-a-shuck from whole foods
Saturday lunch at Marugame Monzo
Today - about to hit Hollywood Pies

No pictures, because I’m terrible at it, but I’ll provide extensive opinion (esp on Hollywood Pies) later tonight…

1 Like

First lunch at gjusta
Prime rib
Brisket
Meatball

Second lunch japadog

4 Likes

Sunday lunch: BBQ from Bob’s Market in Santa Monica. I saw the smoke from an outdoor grill several months ago on Sunday and was finally able to make it today! Pulled pork for me, tai-tip for partner (not pictured). Not transformative, but pretty darn solid for $20 (incl tax). My pork wasn’t as, well, pulled as I had expected (seemed more fork-stabbed than pulled). Not super highly seasoned, but the accompanying BBQ sauce tasted like a less viscous version of McDonald’s BBQ sauce (that’s a good thing). Potato salad was nicely seasoned.

Partner’s tri tip sandwich had too much other stuff in it (lettuce, tomatoes); I think it would’ve been fine w/ just the meat. Again, a little under seasoned but nicely tender (my pulled pork was just teensiest bit dry).

Pickles (housemade?) were tasty and not too sour.

As an added bonus, the people watching was fantastic…

lots of Japanese food this weekend.

For lunch - I did a gyoza sampling.
Shin Sen Gumi Hakata Ramen (not pictured) in West LA has, perhaps, the worst gyoza I have ever had. Tiny, dried out, over cooked. Ramen was so-so.
These babies are from Kotoya Ramen on Santa Monica Blvd - they were excellent! Hand made very flavorful filling. Well cooked.

Sunday Dinner - Kagura in Torrance for Tonkatsu - really great pork and spot-on sauce.

Cold Echigo, Pestle and sesame seeds too!

Also had good Momotoro tomato, and Cabbage/sesame salads

Fantastic Sake

5 Likes

I love Kagura. The best for Tonkatsu. They just opened up one in El Segundo too!!

–Dommy!

1 Like

Great to hear, Dommy, thanks. It is so good.
We tried the thicker cutlet not the Millefeuille Katsu, after debating. Do you have a preference?

I like the Millefeuille, very juicy and the layers pick up more sauce! We don’t think the stuffed ones are worth it, they are just for show and don’t really add anything.

But both are much better than the versions at Kimukatsu

–Dommy!

Nice. Next time will try the Pork Napoleon!

CB, have you tried the ones at Beni-Tora? I doubt they do the skin in-house, but they’re pretty good, IMHO.

How is the ramen at Kotoya? I live almost w/i walking distance, but I never stopped to try it, for whatever reason…

Never heard of Kagura. Will have to try to make time for that. I do love a good pork tonkatsu. My fav used to be the one in the Mitsuwa Torrance, but that stall closed down. :frowning:

What is a pork napoleon???

LOVE Beni-tora’s gyoza. Best, IMHO on the west side, but Kotoya’s are solid, and so is their Ramen. I like the White Miso there very much.
Millefeuille is like a Napolean of pork - made of many thin layers of pork (vs. pastry for the a real Nap).

I agree! Just had it today. :smile:

great. it get overlooked but they do a solid bowl.

And I just retuned to beni tora- they have such great gyoza.
I think I can rest now - my gyoza itch has been scratched well.
Really like the gyoza filling at kotoya ramen.

1 Like

There was one seasoning (which I don’t think was salt) that was a bit pronounced in the Kotoya gyoza. It wasn’t unpleasant at all (and probably cut nicely through the ramen broth, I think). The filling is very generous and moist, and the gyoza has an appealing plumpness. :smile:

I really liked the ramen. Very subtly flavored, and my lips didn’t feel like an oil slick. I like that you can specify the level of fat. The chasu, BTW, was MELTINGLY tender. SO good (no wonder they count each piece separately as a side!). Egg was a little underdone, but always better underdone than over-, IMHO. I also thought it was kind of weird that they give you a whole egg instead of slicing it. Noodles were cooked nicely (still a tiny bit of chew to them). My only complaint is that the portion isn’t very big! But the quality is there. For me, their ramen seems just “right.”

Really a delightful place. And they open until 11:30PM, so I know where to go for all my late-night ramen/gyoza needs! :wink:

Settebello
Coppelia’s
Carney’s
Chi Spacca

1 Like

Wtf, there’s legit Colombian in Huntington Beach??