Del Rey Kitchen closed for good

Very big bummer. Really liked the food, atmosphere and friendliness of the owner. Previously they were temporarily closed with the excuse that they were reworking the menu. It looks like he and his business partner are splitting up and they couldn’t come to a solution to move forward. One partner ran front and the other ran the back cooking. Below is the text of the email newsletter sent.

start
It is with heavy heart that I write this to tell you that Del Rey Kitchen will not reopen. After nine months of unsuccessful negotiations with my partner, we have been left no other choice but to put the restaurant up for sale.

There is a link below to our sales listing. I think the neighborhood is amazing. It will be a great opportunity for a well-run restaurant. Please pass it along if you know of anyone that deserves the world’s best customers!

I am so grateful for your support over the years. Indeed, I count many of you as friends. Please keep subscribing to this list as I will announce future projects here and please keep in touch at: delreykitchen@gmail.com

It was a great honor and privilege to serve you and I hope to see you all again in the very near future.

Yours,

Michael Yee

LINK:
Restaurant With Beer And Wine License - Los Angeles Westside

That is really unfortunate. The food was always well executed and the beers on tap were always enjoyable.

My one personal gripe was that the brief menu was almost always the same - probably why dishes were always dialed in.

While it’s location was not conducive to high visibility, it was relatively easy to access for those who frequented it.

1 Like

I had a friend who went to USC School of Business. I always remember he said one of the first things they stressed was “Don’t have a partner.”

2 Likes

Yeah, that was my one gripe also. It was the main reason I didn’t visit them as much the past year or so. They never really ran that many chef specials, even when they did, it wasn’t that different from what was already on the menu.

It’ll be interesting to see what will go in there. I was looking at the sale listing, looks like they’re leaving everything as is with a lot of new equipment.

As with marriages, partners can work out well… or not. Businesses, like children, can suffer in the ‘not’.

My son graduated from USC and it served him well but, FWIW, I don’t think you need to spend $40K a year at ANY university to know that.