Delicious Pastas and Pizza at Cotogna [Thoughts + Pics]

Continuing on this SF trip, our next stop was thanks to a recommendation from @BradFord and @robert for a California-Italian restaurant known as Cotogna.

Cotogna is the sister restaurant to Michelin 3 Star Quince, situated next door. Walking in, the atmosphere is warm and casual, and reminded me more of a casual L.A. restaurant in its decor, compared to the fancier places around SF we’d been to.

Agnolotti del Plin:

Described by our server as one of the most quintessential Piemontese dishes, this came recommended by @BradFord. Each bite had a wonderful al dente quality, a great chew and density. The filling at Cotogna uses Veal and Rabbit cooked down and deboned, mixed with some veggies to create the filling. The Sauce is made from the bones of Rabbit and Veal, cooked down.

The Veal and Rabbit Sauce was a touch salty, but overall still very satisfying. :slight_smile: The Pasta quality alone was a real standout.

Taglierini Neri with Dungeness Crab:

Their Handmade Taglierini Pasta was like a slightly thinner Spaghetti, and being a Fresh Pasta, it’s softer than the usual Dry Pasta versions, but still fine.

But the star here was the Fresh Dungeness Crab: Cotogna cooks and deshells fresh Dungeness Crab for their Taglierini Neri Pasta and it is spectacular! :blush: Fresh, inherently sweet, briny, wonderful Dungeness Crab meat makes all the difference (compared to frozen / bulk Crab meat). One of the best Seafood Pastas we’ve had recently, the broth was nuanced, perfectly seasoned (not too salty), and had the essence of fresh Crab exuding throughout.

The toasty crunchy Bread Crumbs were a nice touch as well. :slight_smile:

'Nduja, Mozzarella & Calabrian Oregano Pizza:

This is our first time experiencing this local style of Pizza. As @robert put it, it’s cross between NY style Pizza and Neapolitan, and thinking about it that way, it makes sense.

It’s thin, slightly crisped, sort of foldable like a NY Pizza, still a bit wet as well.

The actual taste is quite tasty, but the 'Nduja topping felt a bit sparse. The Tomato base was tasty, piquant and the overall flavors were balanced. :slight_smile:

Pizza is pretty personal, so I like DeSano and Mozza’s styles a bit more, but this was quite good and it hit the spot at this point in our vacation. :slight_smile:

Service was excellent throughout the meal, our server was very accommodating.

Cotogna is a welcome, relaxed restaurant that made us feel a bit more at home while vacationing. We liked their Agnolotti del Plin, and were blown away by their Taglierini Neri with Dungeness Crab. I can’t wait to go back to try more of their Pastas next time.

Cotogna
490 Pacific Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94133
Tel: (415) 775-8508

http://cotognasf.com/home

Update 1:

We were pleasantly surprised by Cotogna for our initial visit, and we were running late in meeting up with some good friends (who already ate, but wanted to hang out and maybe snack, walk around, etc.), so we decided to stop in to Cotogna for a quick lunch before meeting up.

The casual sister restaurant to Michelin 3 Star Quince, you wouldn’t know that Cotogna was related given the relaxed, bright, sunny vibe and simple chairs and tables.

Soppressata, Cauliflower & Brussels Sprouts Pizza:

Consistent with our previous visit, Cotogna is making their own style of Pizza that seems to be a cross between a NY Pizza and Neapolitan. Lightly crisped crust, a wet center, and the 4 seasonal Pizzas on this visit were very California (in a good way), celebrating local, seasonal produce over more traditional offerings.

While the last time’s 'Nduja topping was a bit sparse, on this visit with the new seasonal Pizza was generous with the Soppressata, which was slightly crisped, porky, spicy and delicious with Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts. :blush:

Tagliatelle alla Modenese:

This was Cotogna’s modern interpretation of a Bolognese with 5 types of meat: Oxtail, Pancetta, Veal Cheek, Pork Neck and Sausage. Taking a bite…

Incredible! :heart:

It’s not a traditional Bolognese by any means, but there was something deeply seductive and unctuous with slow cooked Oxtail, Pancetta, Pork Neck, Veal Cheeks and Sausage. It exhibited this complex, really appealing “slow stewed meat” type of flavor that made us devour our shared Pasta in the blink of an eye! :sweat_smile: :blush:

While it doesn’t approach Leo Bulgarini’s wonderful version, nor was it the best Pasta on our trip, Cotogna’s Tagliatelle alla Modenese was outstanding and another winner on the menu, along with the fantastic Taglierini Neri with Dungeness Crab (on our last visit).

We can’t wait to go back and try more of their Handmade Pasta dishes and a few more Pizza flavors as well. Thanks again @BradFord @robert.

Cotogna
490 Pacific Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94133

7 Likes

I really enjoy the fact that they use black napkins.

Did I mention the black napkins, as de rigeur, is a nice touch?

Hi @ipsedixit,

LOL, nice. :slight_smile: What’s your favorite places for pasta in the Bay Area? At least the Dungeness Crab was nice on this visit.

I had lunch there last year . We had a party of six and ordered up a storm . The waiter suggested some nice bottles of Sicilian wines. We had to wait a little bit for the table and were comped a couple pizzas . I remember enjoying the food and the good service . I will definitely return . I heard Perbacco has some nice pasta dishes . I was just in the city yesterday for the afternoon . Picked up some goodies to bring back home . I hit up one of my favorite cafes ( Cavalli Cafe ) on Stockton St for the best cannoli and panna cotto in North Beach .

1 Like

My favorite place for pasta in SF is Perbacco.

I didn’t know Cavalli turned into a cafe. I guess in the era of Amazon that’s a more sustainable business than Italian-language books and videos.

1 Like

la ciccia

2 Likes

Not sure I have one.

But I’ve always enjoyed the pasta creations at Seven Hills.

1 Like

The chef who made Seven Hills famous for pasta left and started his own place, now called Nostra Spaghetteria.

1 Like

Thanks @robert.

Have you tried this new place, Nostra? How is it?

I haven’t been to either. Seven Hills is in a really inconvenient location and now that I look it up Nostra Spaghetteria has closed.

Update 1:

We were pleasantly surprised by Cotogna for our initial visit, and we were running late in meeting up with some good friends (who already ate, but wanted to hang out and maybe snack, walk around, etc.), so we decided to stop in to Cotogna for a quick lunch before meeting up.

The casual sister restaurant to Michelin 3 Star Quince, you wouldn’t know that Cotogna was related given the relaxed, bright, sunny vibe and simple chairs and tables.

Soppressata, Cauliflower & Brussels Sprouts Pizza:

Consistent with our previous visit, Cotogna is making their own style of Pizza that seems to be a cross between a NY Pizza and Neapolitan. Lightly crisped crust, a wet center, and the 4 seasonal Pizzas on this visit were very California (in a good way), celebrating local, seasonal produce over more traditional offerings.

While the last time’s 'Nduja topping was a bit sparse, on this visit with the new seasonal Pizza was generous with the Soppressata, which was slightly crisped, porky, spicy and delicious with Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts. :blush:

Tagliatelle alla Modenese:

This was Cotogna’s modern interpretation of a Bolognese with 5 types of meat: Oxtail, Pancetta, Veal Cheek, Pork Neck and Sausage. Taking a bite…

Incredible! :heart:

It’s not a traditional Bolognese by any means, but there was something deeply seductive and unctuous with slow cooked Oxtail, Pancetta, Pork Neck, Veal Cheeks and Sausage. It exhibited this complex, really appealing “slow stewed meat” type of flavor that made us devour our shared Pasta in the blink of an eye! :sweat_smile: :blush:

While it doesn’t approach Leo Bulgarini’s wonderful version, nor was it the best Pasta on our trip, Cotogna’s Tagliatelle alla Modenese was outstanding and another winner on the menu, along with the fantastic Taglierini Neri with Dungeness Crab (on our last visit).

We can’t wait to go back and try more of their Handmade Pasta dishes and a few more Pizza flavors as well. Thanks again @BradFord @robert.

Cotogna
490 Pacific Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94133

5 Likes

Now I’m looking forward to see where else you visited! :smiley: Hope you enjoyed SF!

1 Like

That Bolognese sounds incredible. I need to do something like it. Thanks.

Thanks @BradFord! :slight_smile: Thanks to you for the great rec. There were some fantastic meals. Stay tuned. :wink:

1 Like

I enjoyed Cotogna . They were able to sit eight
people for lunch . Comped a pizza for the wait . Great service . I love the city .

2 Likes

Nice @Emglow101! What did you all have for lunch? Any favorite dishes that visit?

Can’t wait to read your report on yoshizumi :wink:

I have no idea what you’re talking about. :thinking: :shushing_face:

I believe I ordered the grilled octopus, and a special that was off the grid . It was a couple years ago . The wine pairing was superb . I remember walking out with a smile.

1 Like

So thanks to this post, we booked Cotogna for lunch before my husband gave his talk at the conference. They had an interesting selection of wines by the glass.

I got this delicious single ravoli.

Husband got this starter. Delicious.

I got the fried chicken as a main because I couldn’t resist trying Italian fried chicken.

It comes with a tiny jar of hot sauce that was great, so I asked if I could purchase some. Someone, who shall remain unnamed, said no but I was welcome to stick the jar in my purse.

Husband got this pasta, which he enjoyed.

It was getting close to my husband’s start time at the conference, and the staff was great about getting our coffee and dessert out quickly. Someone, also unnamed, gave me a fresh, unopened bottle of hot sauce to go. :smile:

We barely had time for more than a bite of dessert, but this was excellent and very different.

Great service and great food! Would happily go back.

4 Likes