Delivery chronicle

Warrior: thank you both for the good words! Sorry to break the bad news about the use of ghee in daal dishes. From what I’ve read, Indians traditionally think of ghee as healthy.

1 Like

Wait is ghee not healthy?

Half kidding but subscribe to the belief fats we’ve been eating since domestication are probably better than many industrial seed oils.

Tangent aside, appreciate the info and energy y’all bring.

2 Likes

Harold and Belle’s

Peony: 6/10. Decent food. Good ingredients. Some of the dishes are more well-prepared than the others. Good enough for delivery.

Warrior: 4.5/10. This food showed solid effort, but it just wasn’t consistent with my palate’s expectations. I found both the gumbo and the etouffee overly sweet and lacking depth of flavor. The potatoes, even though they had chunks, reminded me of horrible childhood memories of instant mashed potatoes. The macaroni and cheese was too mushy. The catfish was undersalted and needed more blackening on the outside. Sorry, I cannot recommend this food. I’ll also note this meal cost $100+, around the same price level as Kismet.

1 Like

Warrior: It’s disappointing that we can put a man on the moon and create silicon chips with billions of nanoscale transistors, but health scientists still aren’t sure about basic things like whether butter is healthy.

1 Like

Bludso’s

Warrior: 6/10. I thought the BBQ whole chicken was excellent. Great flavor and tenderness. Everything else, including the BBQ chicken links and jackfruit, was just okay. It’s a nice gesture to have jackfruit on the menu, but I think the seasoning was too strong. I would have preferred no seasoning at all. I found it difficult to chew through the very tough casing for the links. The sides were basic and uninspired. Still, the chicken was so good that I give the restaurant a passing grade.

Peony: 5.5/10. I feel this is what I would expect from barbecue food. Maybe I’m fussy. I was not impressed.

1 Like

You, I never would’ve thought to order chicken there. I’m such a beef and pork fiend when it comes to BBQ. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Warrior: With rare exceptions, we only eat red meat (pork included) when it is unavoidable as part of a tasting menu or used in small amounts for seasoning.

102 posts were split to a new topic: Warrior vs. Langer’s: threat or menace

The first time I tried Bludso’s it was a couple of rib tips from the Compton locale. :heart_eyes: I love pork but try to keep my consumption to a minimum, so haven’t had them at the La Brea locale. Are they as good? The Bloody Mary with the rib tip garnish looked insane… insanely good.

Yep. I actually think they’re better at the new location than what they were doing at the Compton location. Like a lot of legit BBQ places, there can be variability from batch to batch, but when they’re on top of their game, those rib tips are amazing.

1 Like

“Temporarily Closed” :disappointed_relieved:

Colori Kitchen

Warrior: 7/10. As I recall, Colori Kitchen opened in DTLA around the same time as Yxta and Wood Spoon, about 13 years ago. It’s great that this trio of restaurants has survived all this time, and it’s well-deserved, because they all do a good job. The food at Colori Kitchen is basic but enjoyable. I wish the spaghetti were more al dente, but it’s passable, and the pesto sauce was delicious. I wish the salmon were cooked more rare, but it was tasty nonetheless. I really liked the mixed grilled vegetables—my favorite dish of the night. The minestrone was a bit too sweet and not savory enough for my taste. My controversial statement of the night: I like this restaurant slightly more than Maccheroni Republic.

Peony: 7/10. I enjoyed this food a lot. Good Italian food for delivery. My favorite actually was the soup. It had the perfect combination of vegetables and was just very tasty and comforting. The pesto sauce was outstanding.

2 Likes

Hatin’ aside, I got delivery from Kogi the other day. Surprised to see it on the app, think they set it up based on wherever the truck parks that day. Still owns. 10/10.

2 Likes

what did you order? Tacos are great. Last time I got a burrito and it was pretty terrible.

2 Likes

Tacos, quesadilla, and I love that Blue Moon Mulita. So much ginger in their salsa azul. Learned that the hard way about burritos myself once too - there’s bits of egg in there for some reason? Very strange.

1 Like

Natraliart (Jamaican)

Warrior: 7/10. I’m really starting to dig Jamaican food. We’ve ordered from Natraliart before, but I don’t remember it being this good. I liked every dish tonight. I think it is the liberal use of coconut oil that makes everything so tasty. The ackee with saltfish was not quite the best I’ve ever had, but it was very good. The curry shrimp was also better than average. Yummy food!

Peony: 7.5/10. Loved the food. Very tasty. Another wonderful experience with Jamaican food!

3 Likes

Holds up shockingly well in delivery!

Chicken Itza

Warrior: 7.5/10. Chichen Itza delivery was very good as always. The Tikin Xic, the pollo asado, the sopa de Lima, and the ceviche were all good. The one thing that disappoints me is they took their Sikil Pak off the menu.

Peony: 6.5/10. Good comforting food!

6 Likes

Tang Huo Kung Fu (KTown)

Warrior: 7/10. We’ve ordered from this Sichuan hot pot restaurant many times. It’s not very sophisticated, but I enjoy it. I crave it when I’m feeling tired—after heavy exercise or long drives, and today, after yesterday’s flu shot and covid booster. We always get the dry hot pot. (I tried the wet hot pot once and it wasn’t as good to my tastes.) There is a wide variety of proteins, veggies, and starches to choose from. I order extra spicy and extra numbing; Peony orders mild or medium and extra numbing. The extra spicy version is an intense flavor and endorphin bomb. It is really spicy, like Jitlada spicy. The quality of the fish has been poor in the past, so I go with shrimp and the three kinds of tofu they offer as my proteins. This really hit the spot! Today, we got the crawfish for the first time, and it was really good too. Peony tells me mala crawfish (麻辣小龙虾) is a famous Chinese dish. The cumin-y roasted skewers are also a winner.

Peony: 7/10. Great Sichuan food for takeout! Good quality ingredients and good flavor mix. You also get to choose various levels of spiciness. The dry pots are our favorite. They work really well for delivery, plus you get to pick your own mix of ingredients. A great choice for delivery if you crave some spicy Sichuan food.

3 Likes

Mizlala (West Adams)

Peony: 7.5/10. Loved everything tonight! The pargiyot chicken was tender and juicy, and the accompanying tahini sauce was tasty. The falafel were tasty from the inside out. (Some restaurants’ falafel are only tasty on the outside, and the inside is bland, but that was not the case with these falafel.) The roasted cauliflower had nice texture, although I wish it had a little more salt. The cucumber and tomato salad was simple and refreshing. Overall, another good experience with Mizlala delivery.

Warrior: 7/10. Mizlala offers good quality Israeli food. The falafel is excellent—in the competition for best in LA. They have a nice savory flavor and a good balance of crunchy exterior and moist interior. I wasn’t as impressed with the chicken as Peony was (I found it a little dry), but I did enjoy it. Generally, I appreciate the freshness of all the vegetables and the overall healthiness of the food.

2 Likes