Dialogue - Santa Monica

Ordered a slice of cheesecake with a side of beef short rib wellington #covid15

dialogue X harry’s berries X pudwill
Still the best fucking cheesecake I’ve ever had @TheCookie, @Chowseeker1999, @attran99, @NYCtoLA, @ebethsdad.
So oozy when I listened closely I could hear this

Loved the vinaigrette salad dressing

After reading about @paranoidgarliclover, @butteredwaffles, and @A5KOBE’s temperature woes, I let my wellington rest at room temperature before putting it in the oven for about 15 minutes but it was still just warm in the middle. The broccoli, crust and sauce came out perfectly, just wish i cooked it longer and rendered the fat a bit more. i think 20 minutes would be just right. Still really good though.

12 Likes

Glad you didn’t have to eat it in your car!

2 Likes

If only I could pick up earlier in the day. Being in the city late afternoon/early evening is harder for me. Looks so amazing! And my whole cheesecake never got that Epoisses-y.

3 Likes

I know. I was on the Westside early today and every place I’ve been reading about and wanting to try was closed for the day or opened in the evening. I really should have planned that better. But I did manage to get a few goodies from somewhere else…

3 Likes

same here, i’m guessing those first batches of whole cheesecakes from pasjoli weren’t as calibrated as the ones baked at dialogue.

1 Like

new side available next week for your slice of basque cheesecake: beef cheek curry from next

6 Likes
3 Likes

My god Beran is killing the fine dining take out game. Sir if you are reading this, I’m sure there is a future profitable business model in here somewhere.

5 Likes

burnt basque cheesecake #covid15
Can’t get enough of this fucking cheesecake @TheCookie, @Chowseeker1999, @attran99, @butteredwaffles, @A5KOBE, @chewchow, @ebethsdad
One positive about dining at home is you can eat dessert first so you’ll have room for second dessert.

beef cheek panang curry, jasmine rice x 4
This dish is a course from the thai menu at next in Chicago when chef dave was the ec there. I was fortunate enough to attend and this beef cheek was as good as I remember–fatty, tender and delicious. The curry was a bit salty, but not a problem when eating with lots of rice.

second dessert
zhengyalov hatz baklava, thanks @NYCtoLA

16 Likes

Wow! :drooling_face:

1 Like

Available through dialogue

3 Likes

and here it is…

We had two slices with the Dialogue course tonight. Contemplating letting the whole cake sit in the fridge to firm it up a little and then finishing in the oven before serving - didn’t really feel any contrasting textures which would be nice.

2 Likes

Mother’s Day Special - Steak Oscar

PEPPERCORN CRUSTED STEAK TENDERLOIN
BUTTER-POACHED CRAB
ROASTED BROCCOLINI
MARKET GREENS SALAD
OLIVE AND ROSEMARY FOCACCIA
LEMON TART

Pork Shoulder “Puttanesca”

SPICED TOMATO SAUCE WITH CAPERS, OLIVES, AND PAPPARDELLE
MARKET GREENS AND GRAIN SALAD
BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE

The spread:

The finish:

Tasty and decent QPR. The pork shoulder was fall-apart tender while not being homogeneous, and the pappardelle was perfectly al dente surviving the car ride handily. Fat on fat on fat on protein is always a winner (steak oscar). The lemon tart was delightful - though in the heat the filling softened and could’ve spent a few hours in the fridge. Quite a bit of food for three - one of the puttanescas with a shoulder and some scraps will make for a great lunch for two tomorrow.

Would definitely go back for their rotating menu.

Service was excellent - very friendly by phone and in-person on pick-up. Completely (person-to-person) touchless.

11 Likes

Loved it.
Loved prepping it (well, really just boiling it) in the vacuum sealed/sous vide type bag. You are right - great pasta and inhomogeneous meat. Adding the capers and olives after the boiling process is also “going the extra mile” for us: otherwise it would all be a mushy mess.

Tried the black truffle/fried chicken pot pie (couldn’t resist seeing @PorkyBelly’s post here: Dialogue - Santa Monica - #72 by PorkyBelly).

Excellent service again with the touchless pick-up. QPR not quite as astounding as the pork shoulder + puttanesca, but reasonable and a delicious main nonetheless. Fork-tender chicken and a perfect crust.

The chocolate sheet cake was a disappointment both in comparison to the other two previous desserts tried (burnt Basque cheesecake and lemon tart) and in isolation.

3 Likes

Wild Mushroom Pot Pie!

Little Market Salad

Delicious.

This was fine. Just a slice of cake really.

9 Likes

@TheCookie

9 Likes

Stop it! :drooling_face: I wonder if it has tarragon in it.

Damn! What am I doing that day?

I thought you were bang-banging in East LA/Chinatown? :wink:

2 Likes