Dialogue - Santa Monica

Before:

During:

After:

Close up:

Ruler for scale (the chocolate cake was TINY):

Not pictured: two rolls

Well, that was delicious. Nitpick would be that the claw meat was maybe the tiniest bit overcooked (which might’ve been our own error b/c the lobster needed to be warmed). Otherwise, this was marvelous (and the lobster was still very good). My fav part might actually have been the rolls. This isn’t a knock on the meal; it’s that the rolls were really that insanely good (and not something I would’ve expected to be so amazing). SO soft, fluffy, w/ a nice crust on top. I could’ve eaten a whole tray of those and called it a day.

Beef tenderloin was perfectly cooked and meltingly tender. Lobster was actually fairly citrusy, which was a nice contrast to the beef. Bearnaise sauce by itself was simply salty and creamy but, when paired w/ the broccolini, had a lovely, savory, sweet flavor.

We scoffed a bit when we opened the package for the cake since the portion was so small. It was quite possibly the most moist cake I’ve ever had in my life.

Wedge salad was fine. The bleu cheese clearly TASTED like bleu cheese, but it the texture was something I’d more associate w/ a feta.

Hoping @NewTrial is enjoying the meal, too. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Love your carbon steel pan!

1 Like

No pictures from me but I did enjoy the meal. Funny enough, I had the opposite experience with the tenderloin and the lobster–my lobster meat came out perfectly, claw and all but my tenderloin was slightly undercooked (rarer than yours). I had already sauced it and was loath to risk putting it back in the oven. The rolls were great and only suffered by comparison to the left-over baguette from Republique that I enjoyed with the last of the RLM butter along with the Wedge salad (not uncommon for some bleu cheeses to have a similar, crumbly texture to feta by the way, Maytag, for example). By the way, I might be mistaken but I thought the salad was originally supposed to be a claw and knuckle lobster salad rather than a Wedge–of course, they might have just added that over to the “surf” portion to provide more lobster there. I liked the Bernaise with the broccolini–and they provided a lot of it. Concur on the chocolate cake, though I was still so full from the meal that I have deferred to Sunday the slice of Basque cheesecake I purchased with the dinner.

Next week, no pot pies, alas (at least as yet), but a foray back to the tasting menu concept with a 7 course Summer meal for $85. No idea what will be on it.

2 Likes

I remember that, too, although maybe that was the salad accompanying the lobster pot pie? B/c I also remember seeing a wedge salad when I reviewed the menus, as well (mainly b/c a wedge salad is really the only way I enjoy iceberg lettuce).

Argh!!! The one time I ordered the baguette, they had run out! Have to try it one of these days.

1 Like

“Prologue” by Dialogue

2 Likes

Greeting loved ones
Let’s take a journey~

foto_no_exif

foto_no_exif (1)

Prologue

foto_no_exif (2)

foto_no_exif (3)

PINKERTON AVOCADO
ice lettuce, pumpkin seed, coriander
foto_no_exif

foto_no_exif (1)

foto_no_exif (3)

Enjoyed the mimesis of digging into fresh earth (ash) with a shovel (spoon). The texture was wonderful, and everything came together well. Ice plant was an interesting touch. Only complaint was that the “soil” was a little oily.

foto_no_exif (4)

PRAWN
papaya, green mango, burnt lettuce

foto_no_exif

foto_no_exif (1)

The highlight of the meal - I guess heavily influenced by som tum. The texture of the prawn was just…wow. Well-balanced and bold, bright flavors.

foto_no_exif

DRY AGED RIBEYE
smoked prune, burnt onion, roasted mushroom
foto_no_exif foto_no_exif (1) foto_no_exif (2)

Second best dish of the night - a touch sweet - recurring theme as the courses went on. Weird disappointment with the mushrooms - the majority of the heft came from them, while if the dish idea were “GRILL,” I’d want/expect to have a mouth full of beef. A little busy with too many textures and flavors as well. However, irresistible and quickly devoured.

The rest and summary to come.

8 Likes

Are you still writing/updating??? I feel like you are just being a tease! :wink:

That plating is impressive inside the containers.

foto_no_exif

CHOI SUM
strawberry, cashew, nam prik pao
foto_no_exif (5)
The first disappointment of the evening. The choy sum was astoundingly good - the platonic ideal of Chinese greens - crisp without tasting raw, and full-flavored. The chili paste was too heavy - oppressive and overly sweet. The strawberry cashew garnish was too delicate - tasty on its own, but haplessly overwhelmed. I didn’t really understand what the goal was here, but the three disparate elements, great on their own, didn’t find any harmony.

foto_no_exif (1)

PORK BELLY
braised ckombu [sic], fermented peach, ginger

foto_no_exif (6)

foto_no_exif (10)

An interesting experience, but ultimately a second major disappointment. The gentle crackling of the oil in the oven led to a mouthwatering fragrance of kombu wafting at me as I pried open the lid like a treasure chest…only to find that the kombu was salty to the point of being bitter and overcooked. The ginger relish was…ok. Peach was not tasteable. The pork belly was perfectly done - it’s hard to describe, but maybe the first time in recent months I would describe such a fatty meat as delicate: each layer was distinct, with the fat pleasantly enveloping on the tongue, not cloying or suffocating. However, in LA, where excellent ramen (and thus pork belly) is omnipresent, it was ultimately boring. Again, the sense of three elements not united. Again, overly sweet.

foto_no_exif (2)

PEACH
black sesame butterfinger, basil
foto_no_exif (7)

foto_no_exif (8)

An interesting dessert overwhelmed by the two-three previously saccharine dishes. I understood the callback to the first dish, but this time, the powerful aroma of black sesame, overwhelmed the delicate peach custard. I found myself wondering if this version of Spot Dessert Bar’s Harvest was really better, and…it really wasn’t. The texture of the custard resembled applesauce, and the vibrancy of a fresh summer peach wasn’t there.

foto_no_exif (3)

STRAWBERRY
white chocolate, tonka
foto_no_exif (9)

Tonka was new to me, but I couldn’t appreciate it. An ok finisher.

foto_no_exif (4)

Overall, a little bit of a disappointment mostly because of my high expectations from how good the other take-out options have been this pandemic season. The QPR wasn’t quite there. The dishes in themselves had the chintz of Orientalism while being still uneven. The most interesting dishes (avocado, ribeye, peach) had some confusing choices. Repeating a motif that was done better by another was annoying. The progression and balance of the courses was a letdown.

As a brief aside, I also wasn’t thrilled about the menu not being posted on the Tock page - perhaps my own illiteracy with the website?

I don’t regret the order, but probably ended up feeling more hesitant about Dialogue and its return to a tasting menu - if it could stay as a high-end take-out place it would definitely be on my monthly list.

10 Likes

8/8
https://www.instagram.com/p/CB3iuhnF2Ah/?hl=en

2 Likes

But reduced to just 10 seats.

Looks like no fancy pot pie for me. :slightly_frowning_face: It’s okay, though - it’s time for me to start losing the COVID-LBS.

But, question for those of you who have done tasting menus to-go at Dialogue or other places. Is it worth it and enjoyable after picking everything up, traveling, lite cooking/reheating and re-plating? Just curious.

2 Likes

I had fun with the tasting menu/heat at home style dinners. Reheating wasn’t a pain and replating was fun.

I mainly had them from dialogue, pasjoli and vespertine.

I don’t know that I’ll be spending anywhere near that much on anymore meals/food in general though. I’ll be skipping the dialogue “prologue” and new vespertine menu.

Wish I grabbed one of the dear johns TV dinners…maybe they’re still available, I don’t know.

4 Likes

Still available!

https://rockenwagnermarket.com/collections/dear-johns-menu

4 Likes

I hope they’re able to find a new place better suited for the times we’re in—though there was something special about the seclusion of what they have.

1 Like

Damn, we literally got takeout from Tidbits last night. The hits keep on coming.

Wow, on the slow bus but i finally made it to pasjoli a week or so back. Really want to try tidbits before it closes.

How was it?

The official word from the Chef:

It’s not goodbye, it’s see you soon.

Three years ago, we opened Dialogue in the most unexpected of places. What started as a temporary concept became more than anything we could have ever imagined. The Promenade was always meant to be a temporary home, but what was meant to last one year turned into 10 menus and over 300 dishes. And in the 2.5 years our dining room was open we welcomed over 10,000 people into our 18 seat space. Dialogue was a reflection of everything we had learned about Santa Monica and Los Angeles.

As times change, so do the needs of a restaurant. With this conversation, we have come to the end of the Dialogue chapter on the Promenade. We are saying farewell to our little restaurant hidden in a food hall but not to a lifetime of relationships it built.

Thank you so much to everyone for all of your support, your friendship, and your willingness to follow all of our instructions to find the elevator in the alley. We never could have imagined what this restaurant would become.

Until November 7th, the Dialogue team will continue to serve guests at Tidbits. The next evolution of Dialogue - whether in a permanent location or another temporary one - is one we are actively pursuing and eager to share with you. Until then, you can see all of the familiar Dialogue faces (with a little more french flair!) as all will be joining the pasjoli team just down the street.

Dialogue was made by the people who shared in the stories with us. Thank you for being a part of it.

8 Likes

hopefully that will mean updates to the Pasjoli menu!