Diestel turkeys worth it?

We’ve been buying Mary’s turkeys for the past few years. I do the 3-day dry brine, and they’re always delicious. DH is wondering if Diestel would be better, at least good enough to justify the additional price. Locally, they’re about $1/pound higher than Mary’s. Any experience?

I liked ordering the Diestel turkey when I was cooking . I would order the 10# - 12# . I have done them both ways brined and unbrined .I always enjoyed them . I would say give it a try . I have not had the Mary’s turkey , but a wee bit disappointed with their duck . Tastes to much like chicken . All in all I would say they are both great brands .

I think one needs to know why you’re considering a Diestel.

If it’s more for the free-range, organic preference, then they are probably a good choice.

But if it is for purposes of trying to find a heritage turkey, then I don’t think Diestel qualifies as their turkeys are cross-breeds.

As to taste, I can never tell the difference between these organic, free range turkeys and your basic frozen Butterball. Except in my credit card statement.

1 Like

You might check a note that ipse cross referenced from the LA board titled “Excellent Turkey Less Work” about a Diestel both brined AND seasoned. I bought it at Costco to save myself some work, but it is great tasting. As far as free range and organic tasting better than frozen butterballs, I’m not sure. One year I ate a heritage turkey that was tough, stringy and tasteless. Couldn’t tell you if it was the cook or the bird; and, honestly, I’m pretty sure even butterballs have varied in one way or another over the years, even when I’ve used the same cooking methods. I try, as a rule, to go organic when I can, but the quality seems to vary unpredictably between organic and not, and within each of the categories. I would be interested in a broad range of views around the issue that ipse raises, and not only around turkeys. I suppose the dimensions would be taste and safety for different kinds of foods. Of course many people think that “organic” label is just that, a label, and not very useful in determining either taste OR safety.