Dining on Amelia Island

Amelia is a barrier island off the northern coast of Florida, one mile south of Georgia. I left Connecticut and moved here two months ago. I move into my house next month but until then I live in a beachside condo. I’ll post every now and then on restaurants I like, bars I hang out in, etc.

I took my bride to Joe’s 2nd Street Bistro for lunch on Thursday. Pinot Grigiot for Deb, blood orange mimosa for me as we digested the specials and read the menu. I went with the linguine with shrimp and scallops, my wife went with the local shrimp and baked chicken breast over saffron rice smothered in a very rich Cajun sauce. Both dishes exceeded expectations. I washed my meal down with an expertly prepared vodka gimlet. A pecan cheesecake was dessert. Going with daily specials is always a good idea.

In short, Joe’s is shaping up to be my go-to lunch spot. The room, while informal, is quite handsome. Staff is friendly, knowledgable and competent. We’ll be back.

1 Like

I like bars, I like happy hours.

David’s on 8th Street here on Amelia has a seven-seat bar tended to by a glib gentleman by the name of Michael. He built me a wonderful gimlet with muddled lime and Kettle One.

David’s happy hour runs from 5-7 p.m., Monday through Thursday. Drinks are half price and nothing on the bar menu is over $9. Full menu is available after 6. I enjoyed a decent serving of plump escargot. Deb enjoyed a good Pinot Grigiot and some of the local shrimp. My gimlets were $4.50 and Deb’s wine (very generous pour) was $5.

Michael is a former Army Ranger and has more than a few stories to share. Seems we’ve been to a few of the same places. It was a good time. We’ll be back.