Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- AUGUST 2016 -- NOMINATIONS

Ahem. I believe Blockheads refers to their product as snow CREAM. :slight_smile:

why? it’s a good hypothesis - and weather probably does play a role to some degree, but china as a country is large enough to have a wide range of climates. for example in the dongbei region of china,. harbin gets down to -40 in the winter and rarely above 70 in the summer. the shaanxi region of china known for all their different types of noodles has a fairly wide latitude range as well leading to a wide range of climates as well.

it’s my take that there are influences reflected by the differences in cultures. westerners and americans in particular seem to have a cultural preference for warm foods with an emphasis on the importance of being able to get a hot meal, etc. i suspect that it ties in to the idea that something chilled or refrigerated is associated with leftovers or something you might get from a vending machine, while a piping hot meal suggests that it’s been freshly made.

OTOH, asian cultures tend to embrace a world view that places high value on on balance and contrast, yin & yang, if you will. part of how that’s reflected is in how there’s an emphasis on foods that provide a ‘cooling’ effect as part of that balance - regardless of whether the actual dish is hot or cold in serving temperature. for example, bitter melon is eaten in part because of its ‘cooling’ effects on the body. asian cuisines also reflect that desire for balance in how they embrace contrast, not just in temperatures, but also in textures, etc. balance is achieved in how elements complement each other.

that’s not to say that balance isn’t a factor in western cuisine - one of the chef/owners of joe beef in montreal posited what he described as the big mac theory of taste equilibrium - the big mac convinces you to keep eating it by its balance of salt, sweet, fat, acidity and “bite”. that balance tricks your body into thinking that you’re eating something nutritious. and that ‘theory’ drives the creations on their menu. but speaking in general terms, asian cultures value overall balance while westerners often embrace something more for how it goes over the top in some specific way; a lot of people i know don’t care for sushi in general but love things like tempura rolls and anything that includes some sort of deep fried filling - because it’s crunchy. or they go for sichuan cuisine because it’s spicy. it is what it is.

This Secret Asian Guy has thrown down the gauntlet. Can we please, please do COLD NON-DESSERT DISHES? I’m ready to take him on.

I’m also good with COLD NON-DESSERT DISHES

1 Like

Snow cream? Snobby-ass Westside jibberish! :wink:

1 Like

what gauntlet?

i’m here to tout the virtues of forzen dessert.

i was just having polite discussion.

sure, china is huge with a range of climates. i guess i was curious if there were cold dishes from
the regions that get, y’know, cold, in china and other asian countries where it gets cold.
also, are the cold dishes traditionally served all year round in these colder parts of china and asia?

for example, i would think (and if i’m wrong, i’m happy to learn so) there are more cold dishes in, say, the southern part of france or spain than there are in the north of those countries.

Very funny

I guess salads and sandwiches don’t count.

1 Like

Western civilization already did that, in the Middle Ages. It wasn’t called yin/yang, it was called “humors” and there were different ways of balancing one’s humors, including the foods one ate.

We don’t balance our humors in the West anymore, because science.

1 Like

RAW

4 Likes

MSG (makes shit good)

4 Likes

I wondered about that.

Where is that??? Please.

RAW +1 (or RAW & MOVING)

1 Like

Tatsunoya, sea harbour, and golden deli

1 Like

+1 MOVING

…and then there’s that.

Stop it… You’re stacking the deck.

Well… This is one of my favorite pictures of yours :smirk:.

1 Like