Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- February -- PASTRIES

Would have been better baked a few extra minutes, tasty but not their finest product today.

1 Like

Iā€™m in love with the croissants at Ledlow. Itā€™s become a weekly breakfast/work spot for me.

1 Like

I managed to score a semla at Olsonā€™s Delicatessen today. The whipped cream was very lightly sweetened with a nuanced hint of cardamom. A nice textural contrast was provided by very finely chopped pieces of almond that dotted the whipped cream. Also there was a very thin layer of marzipan that added a vibrant touch of flavor to this light dessert. Get them while you can.

6 Likes

That is beautiful, what else do you recommend at Olsonā€™s?

1 Like

I like the Toast Skagen, which is a brioche bun with Scandinavian shrimp salad, dill, and caviar. Itā€™s a very rich sandwich. Just make sure they toast the bun. I had the gravlax sandwich today, and it was too bready. It appeared that the bun was placed on a very cold grill. It had the indentations from a grill, but it definitely wasnā€™t toasted.

Clementine Bakery - Century City
Citrus Tartine $4.50
Mushroom Scallion Quiche $4.95
Asparagus Goat Cheese Quiche $4.95

The tartine was good. But the quiches are wonderful. They are baked so perfectly, when re-heated the filling is still soft and the crust is buttery and delicate.

4 Likes

bulavinaka - Thanks for writing the area Cofax is located. Some DOTM posts donā€™t give locale. Because Iā€™ve never heard of the places I assume theyā€™re not close to me. Then come to find theyā€™re in my backyard.

Oh, what a coincidence; I had a Clementine quiche last wk (guess I forgot to take a photo for DoTM! Oh, well, it was a business lunch, so it wouldā€™ve been weird to take a photoā€¦). I loved the crust but was recently spoiled by the Republique quiche (the filling of which was at the perfect boundary btw fluid and solid).

On an only slightly related note, the chicken salad sandwich at Clementineā€™s is mighty good.

1 Like

PGL - I will check out the quiche at Republique. Some places donā€™t know how to do them right. They bake, put them in the case and they look great. But when you order one and they or you re-heat it itā€™s over-cooked and rubbery.

I have forgotten to show a couple of desserts myself. For my bday my stepson brought me a banana cream pie from Magnolia Bakery on 3rd St. It was delicious. Iā€™m not a huge fan of MB, but that pie was good and the banana pudding is like crack.

P.S. I love Clementineā€™s chicken salad too.

Do they also do a banana pudding? I couldā€™ve sworn my partner and I had it there once maybe 1-2 yrs ago. Curiously enough, I have no clear memory of my reaction to it (although I normally remember when I HATE something, so thereā€™s that). My partnerā€™s family LOVES their familyā€™s version of a banana pudding recipe (which I canā€™t stand), and they didnā€™t like the Cookā€™s Country rendition that my partner made one year (which I LOVED).

And, yes, do try the Republique version (which I imagine is probably way more expensive). I only had it once, but the texture was truly magnificent, IMHO. :slightly_smiling:

Thatā€™s the trip about banana pudding. Itā€™s such a basic thing. But people have such different preferences and reactions. Yes MB has it and I and my family love it - but some people hate it. Itā€™s a little creamier, not as heavy, but still very rich. Try a small container and let me know what you think. I wonā€™t be offended if you donā€™t like it. Iā€™m just curious.

She made some of her famous blackberry boysenberry ginger pies at Dinosaur Coffee last yearā€¦absolutely insane pies. Wish she was making them at Cofax or Bludsoā€™s =(

Wait are you Asian? Then itā€™s okay, it is assumed we take pictures of everything.

Those two items are awesome. The crust on their banana cream pie is addictive and the banana pudding is great.

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™m Asian. But I think Iā€™m about 10 yrs too old for the whole millenials-take-pics-of-everything-whenever-they-want. :wink:

We did try a small container and couldnā€™t finish it. And I canā€™t remember why. I think we had gone there after we had already eaten lunch elsewhere. I canā€™t remember if we were too full, or if we just didnā€™t like it. But Iā€™ll try again and report. :wink:

His family uses flour as a thickener, which is why I think I find the pudding revolting (more from an appearance and texture perspective, as opposed to taste). The weird off-color and glossy appearance isā€¦ unsettling. :wink: and :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Not sure if you caught my comment, but her pies are at Bludsoā€™s Bar & Que - at least they were when we spoke back in January.

The pies donā€™t sell well at Cofax according to her. As good as they are, seems the basic customer mindset is coffee and donuts - not pie.

1 Like

Yeah, I was wishing for that specific pie. I will probably stop by there tonight to see what kind of pies she is making there, itā€™s still good intel for sure.

I can easily see pies not selling well at Cofax, not really the environment one imagines eating pie in at all.

Blackberry + boysenberry = summer? Couldnā€™t hurt to ask again and again though.

Going back to the quiche ā€“

Amandine does a really good quiche. The meat version is so much better with ham rather than turkey. Theirs is a wedge from a larger pie.

Clementineā€™s is a single mini-pie. To me, it tastes like the crust is more layers of phyllo rather than a classic pie crust.