Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- JANUARY 2017 -- SOUPS/STEWS

Ahhh… yes I saw that. I’d like to try it too. Maybe as is with just the potatoes, carrots and a little rice, no protein.

Bang bang’ed this today at Mar Vista Farmers Market, along with a Grand Marnier crepe from Monsieur Dusigne.

1 Like

And the taste??? :slight_smile:

1 Like

How funny! I kind of did the same, but it was Atmosphere Cafe for an omelet.

Supposedly French, and the owner is French, but it was way too Americanized for me. Giant plate of food and the omelet was brown, ick. I just ate the salad and some toast with jam. Everyone else really liked it, though.

@paranoidgarliclover The soup had a nice, strong lobster stock base and a bit of tomato paste, so the flavor was good. It could have used a little more acidity. It was thickened with a roux, not purely cream. Very rich, of course, a small portion was more than enough.

2 Likes

… whereas Monsieur Dusigne’s sublime Grand Marnier crepe transported me back to my old friend’s place near Montmartre.

1 Like

I don’t know if I ever had an omelette in France, but Farmshop does a fantastic one…

Thanks, I’ll check it out in my never-ending quest to find a white omelet in Los Angels. :wink:

Metro Cafe does a nice white omelette. Get the Petite Italian, sub with egg whites. Couple that with the Sautéed banana pancakes.

1 Like

Really? That is so close to me. I will check that out, too.

The herbs on the omelette are usually chives for the most part.

1 Like

Purrrfect…

Petit Trois does an excellent French omelette with Boursin pepper cheese and chives. To keep this more on topic, it also has a terrific, rich, French onion soup.

2 Likes

Yes, they are my platonic ideal. But… Hollywood. Sigh.

White bean soup with smoked pork ribs, from Metro Cafe - always glorious.

12 Likes

Looks like woo-guh-ji-gook, which is the outer leaves of certain types of cabbage cooked in a beef bone soybean paste broth.

1 Like

Tried a Thai place on La Palma in Anaheim (off Euclid) called E San Rod Sap. Had never tried boat noodles before but we all enjoyed this version. First time was best as the tripe was cut finely.

7 Likes

Had the posole at De Oro La Puerta in Brea today. I thought the pork, although there was plenty of it, could have been seasoned just a bit more, but the broth was great, and it was served with handmade corn tortillas. Solid lunch…

7 Likes

The menu there has a lot of interesting things but they offer everything inder the sun. Is the food there good? Have you tried the chilaquiles?

I haven’t tried the chilaquiles.

Overall, I wouldn’t put them on a par with, say, Zamora in Santa Ana, but their food is solid. I’ve had very good al pastor burritos, cabeza tacos, and some other items that don’t come to mind at the moment. Chips are fresh; salsa is pureed and boring. The to-go hot sauce I’ve had has been very good, though. I wouldn’t say that it’s a destination by any stretch, but if you work or happen to be in the area, it’s definitely worth a try.

I live in Fullerton so its pretty close. Looks like it would work well for the whole family so will give it a try.

1 Like