Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- JANUARY 2017 -- SOUPS/STEWS

sorry, not yet. I’ve only been to BCD and Beverly in K-town.

french onion…

9 Likes

I’ve heard carousel restaurant makes it.

Is that just a loving close up, or is the bowl huge? :wink:

Cool. I didn’t recognize any dishes there as what we grew up with in Armenian proper / Russia.

Interesting, I’ve not been, but just had a different Armenian tell me they do a version once haha

Have you ever been to Traktir out of curiosity?

Of course. Average food at high prices but a pretty good to try standard Russian stuff. I’d send people to The Roubo’s Place on La Brea over that place

Fuzz. Yelp says this place is closed : /

Robert’s then

https://www.yelp.com/biz/roberts-russian-cuisine-los-angeles

Interesting, I went there years ago but remember the strongoff kind of blowing me away. You would say Robert’s does a much better stroganoff? Just on that one dish.

I’ll probably check out Roberts but just curious haha

I’m not a good person to ask about Stroganov. That’s not really a dish i know much about, didn’t grow up with it in the south. I hope you drink loads of vodka there when you go… with pickles.no other way . it’s like half of the experience

I miss Gorky’s.

1 Like

Vichi (consommé “Manta”)

Baja California
4749 Artesia Blvd,/Inglewood Ave.
Lawndale, CA
http://www.bajacaliforniafishtacos.com

4 Likes

Meizhou Dongpo

Some friends wanted to go, so off we went. It’s been chilly so it was good to get something soup-like and spicy. :slight_smile:

Hot & Sour Soup:

This was a solid rendition of Hot & Sour Soup. Clean, tart, peppery, warm.

Beef with Potato:

A new dish added to the menu, it’s essentially a lightly spiced, Beef & Potato Stew. The Beef was slow-cooked, with lean and fatty chunks, and the sauce was delicious. :slight_smile: Went great with some Brown Rice.

Meizhou Dongpo (Century City)
(Inside the Westfield Century City Mall)
10250 Santa Monica Blvd. #200a
Los Angeles, CA 90067
Tel: (310) 788-0120

Meizhou Dongpo (Arcadia)
(Inside the Westfield Santa Anita Mall)
400 S. Baldwin Ave.
Arcadia, CA 91007
Tel: (626) 538-4580

http://meizhourestaurants.com/

Luv2Eat

For the Soups / Stews DOTM, it was time for another visit to Luv2Eat.

Phuket Style Fish Curry Kanomjean (Vermicelli Rice Noodle with Fish Curry, served with Hard Boiled Egg, Pickled Carrots & Papaya):

Even on “Mild” this was pretty spicy. :slight_smile: But this is the famous Curry that takes 72 hours to prepare(!), and it is as fantastic as the last 2 times we ordered it. Extremely nuanced, with lots of interesting flavors and spices, it was another great way to warm up in the chilly weather. :slight_smile:

Green Curry Chicken:

Their Green Curry had a subtle nutty, creamy, tropical taste with the Coconut Milk, Housemade Green Curry base and slivers of Bamboo Shoots and Red Bell Peppers. It was comforting enough to be a “stew” of sorts, and was one of the better Green Curries we’ve had recently. :slight_smile: I liked it more than their Massaman Curry.

Luv2Eat Thai Bistro
6660 Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90028
Tel: (323) 498-5835

http://www.luv2eatthai.com/

Mirak

The chilly weather and Stews for Dish of the Month meant a visit to another favorite of ours, Mirak, and their famous Black Goat Stews! :slight_smile:

Complimentary Banchan:

Black Goat Stew:

But then it was time for the real purpose of our visit, their Black Goat Stew. Like the other visits, a huge pot is brought to the table and it begins cooking down (via a tableside burner).

The Black Goat Stew is wonderful in its subtle gaminess, super tender, Stewed Goat, and the Soup / Stew is fantastic! Warming, delicious, lightly salted, and with ample amounts of cooked down Veggies like Chinese Chives, Green Onions, and various herbs.

Their Dipping Sauces really enhance the Stewed Goat:

And at the end of the meal, something even greater than the Black Goat Stew…

Goat Stew Fried Rice:

As fantastic as before! :blush: The combination of the distilled down Black Goat Stew with some Seaweed, Green Onions, Kimchi, Rice and other seasonings makes this one of the best Fried Rice I’ve ever had in K-Town! :slight_smile:

Mirak
1134 S. Western Ave., Suite A2
Los Angeles, CA 90006
Tel: (323) 732-7577

10 Likes

Great as usual!

All of the dishes seem fantastic. I love green curry and will have to return to Luv2Eat for that one.

I’m so excited about the new food happening at CC Mall. I just knew when reading your report about Meizhou Dongpo, it was going to be in the SGV. Imagine my delight when I scrolled down.

Good work soldier.

1 Like

Thanks @TheCookie. :slight_smile:

I just realized we’ve never tried their Yellow Curry before (just Massaman, Red and Green). Have you tried their Yellow yet? If so, what did you think?

And yes, I can’t wait to see what Eataly is like at the CC Mall. I hope it’s good (but wondering how much of a tourist trap it might be? Never been to the one in NY).

Lobster bisque from Cousins Maine Lobster.

7 Likes

Yes, I have. I think the Phuket-style crab curry is yellow. It’s fucking hot. There’s just no other way to put it. Yes there’s great flavor, a light creaminess and all, but… hot!
What curry is used for the fish curry? It looks greener than the green curry.

Good question about the CC Mall. We can just assume any mall in central L.A. is going to be a tourist trap.

1 Like

I love lobster bisque… love it.

Hi @TheCookie,

Yah their Phuket-style Curry is hot for sure! :slight_smile:

But there’s also a standard “Yellow Curry” listed on the back page of their menu (next to the Green and Red Curry selections). Just curious if you had that one yet. I might have to try that one next time.