Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- JULY 2016 -- BBQ/GRILLED MEATS

How did the pastrami turn out?

Really good. I have made it three or four times. I use Meatheadā€™s method, first for the corned beef, Next Level Corned Beef Recipe Puts The Store Bought Stuff To Shame, and then for the pastrami, http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/close_to_katzs_home_made_pastrami.html. I buy a whole USDA Prime packer brisket from Costco (for a ridiculous $2.85/lb), trim most of the fat cap off saving it for when I grind burgers. Depending on what we are in the mood for I either corn the whole brisket or separate the point and smoke that. The leanest part of the brisket I use for corned beef while the fatty part becomes pastrami (the point is really my favorite for pastrami, but sometimes you just want bbq brisket). I tried using the sous-vide instead of steaming the pastrami but its just not as good.

3 Likes

Thanks for the recipes. Iā€™ll have to try some of these some day.

Started my dining day at Dinoā€™s Chicken and Burgers on Pico for their charbroiled chicken. $7.50-ish for a half chicken.

Spicy, maybe a tad salty, but great smokey taste.

Forgot to take a photo soā€¦

(Photo credit: Menuism)

4 Likes

Baby Blue BBQā€™s Gigantic Beef Rib. Yes that is one rib. Wonderful

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œA5KOBE, post:7, topic:3662ā€]
Snake Rivers ribeye
[/quote] I had a perfect piece at Cut in BH. Home grilling is so iffy. I would never forgive myself if I screwed it up.

2 Likes

I love that photo . One of these days Iā€™m going to make that . I have to say excellent looking . Iā€™ll will dive over the table for that porchetta . Molto bella .

3 Likes

CUT does do the Snake River justice. I actually prefer it to the true Japanese stuff because the fat content is less. But that bone marrow flan is destination worthy. That app keeps me coming back.

Sweet. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve had the Japanese Snake River. I did have some Japanese Mountain Yam fed A5 Wagyu recently. At least thatā€™s what they told me it was :wink:. That Bone Marrow Flan sounds great.

Grilled last night and tonight. Forgot to take pix last night - shrimp and chicken with romesco sauce. I did remember to take pix tonight - the ā€œinfamous and controversialā€ carne asada from Costco.

My daughter actually was grill master tonight and did a nice job - medium rare/medium.

I offered to get ribeyes or NY strips, but everyone in the household voted carne asada.

7 Likes

Looks good!

Ooopsā€¦ @A5KOBE. My bad. You probably meant you prefer Snake Rivers over true Japanese. Not that Snake Rivers has cattle of Japanese origin. Anyway, they produce a good piece of meat. :slight_smile:.

Looks delicious - but you basically have cancer now.

4 Likes

At least the ā€œmega-listā€ of additives will preserve my stricken body for eternity. :dizzy_face:

I think other than corn syrup solids, yeast extract and silicon dioxide - all deemed harmless by food authorities - the rub ingredients fall within a normal range.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œbulavinaka, post:34, topic:3662ā€]
silicon dioxide
[/quote] Nothing wrong with a little sand in your diet. All in moderation :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

A little sand in my diet as well as my head buried in it? :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

We celebrated Independence Day with ribs! A mixture of baby back and St. Louis-style with a homemade whiskey hickory BBQ sauce.
Pre-sauce

Post-sauce

12 Likes

Finger. Lickinā€™. O.M. Gorgeous!

1 Like

Thanks, @bulavinaka!

Smoked some birthday ribs for my lovely brideā€™s birthday.

Just onā€¦

3 hours in. Ready to wrapā€¦

Ready to come off after one hour wrapped and one hour unwrapped with sauceā€¦

10 Likes