Dish of the Month (DoTM) – JUNE 2016 – FRUITS

Hi Fruit Eaters -

Beverly Hills Farmers Market is hosting their annual Pie Festival on Sunday 9am-1pm. After reading @Chowseeker1999 and others’ posts I did some research on Harry’s Berries’ locations. BH is one of their regular spots, so they should be there.

9300 Block of Civic Center Drive
Beverly Hills, 90210

4 Likes

Thanks for the alert! Partner and I will be there late morning (probably).

The incredible Pork Chop at Sotto last night had some beautiful nectarines on it.
This is likely all I will have to contribute on fruit for the month.
See ya’ll in July.

2 Likes

Cool ! We’re going to try to go early. I’m not much of a morning person - in case you haven’t noticed :slight_smile: - especially on weekends. But BH Farmer Market is really small, and @Chowseeker1999 mentioned the good stuff goes fast.

:smile: That’s a good one.

1 Like

Harry’s Berries (Hollywood Farmers Market)

Viva Patricia Strawberries:

Thanks to @cookiemonster, we found out about a 4th variety of Strawberries from Harry’s Berries called Viva Patricia. Indeed they are very aromatic, with a wonderful, fragrant smell, and it has a more pronounced berry flavor. One of the farmers mentioned when they were first ripened, they almost had a Cantaloupe finish to the Strawberry, but over time, they matured a bit more and have settled on this “berry” type of sweet finish. It’s nice. :slight_smile:

Of course I ended up picking up more Gaviotas (so good!) as well. :slight_smile:

Harry’s Berries
(@ Hollywood Farmers Market (Sunday)) (North of the Arclight Cinemas)
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Day: Sunday
Hours: 8:30AM - 1:00PM

Also at Farmers Markets in:

Beverly Hills
Hermosa Beach
Montecito
Ojai
Pasadena
Santa Barbara
Santa Clarita
Santa Monica
Thousand Oaks
Torrance
Venice
Ventura
West Hollywood

See Website for more details:

http://www.harrysberries.com/

3 Likes

Raspberry tart from Chaumont. SO delicious. Crust was tender and short, and the center (not pictured) had raspberry jam. Yum, yum, yum.

9 Likes

Raku
Fluffy cheesecake with raspberries, tastes like clouds and angel wings.

5 Likes

Looks like a smiley face. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Annual Piesta - Beverly Hills Farmers Market
This was a really fun event for kids & adults: Pie eating contests, kid’s pie making lessons, petting zoos, etc. But the market is there every Sunday of the year. And
thanks to @Chowseeker1999 I didn’t wander around trying to figure out which was the best stand to buy fruit.

Tenerelli Orchard

Yellow Nectarines

White Peaches

We also purchased Bing Cherries, and @Harry’s Berries we sampled the Viva Patricia and bought the Seascape & Gaviota Strawberries. The sweet juiciness of all these fruits was unbelievable. We joked that it was the first time we kept sneaking into the kitchen in the middle of the night to eat FRUIT!

Clementine’s Key Lime Pie. It was rich & creamy w/the sweet tartness of the key lime. The sugar in the graham cracker crust burnt a little, but the pie was still delicious.

I always purchase this pricey, but incredible Leonardo e Roberto’s White Balsamic Vinegar. It’s thick, sweet, tart and the flavors develop even more after it’s open.

For you Lodge Bread lovers, they had a stand there as well.

Very good Sunday!

5 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Nice! I’m so glad you got to try Harry’s Berries’ Organic Gaviota and Seascape Strawberries. :slight_smile: Aren’t they just awesome? LOL. :slight_smile:

I bought some for a friend, and their whole family devoured the basket of those Strawberries over the dessert they were going to have.

Tenerelli Orchard: Nice! Which of the White Peaches were they selling that day? I recently picked up some of their Snow Bright White Peaches, which are pretty fragrant and sweet. Their varietals keep progressing to better and better versions throughout the stone fruit season.

#Fishing with dynamite
Grapefruit
Yuzu koshu mayo

Lime

7 Likes

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

Thanks again for sharing!

I too gave a basket of strawberries away to my cousin and her husband. We share a triplex, and Monday when I got home from work she was standing on the front lawn to rave about those strawberries. LOL.

I’m not sure, but I think the peaches were either the Snow Brights or Sugar Lady. Note to self - Don’t go with a group when you’re on a food finding mission :slight_smile:. It was hard getting into detail. Plus the manager had stepped away and the worker was really sweet, but didn’t have much detail. I almost moved on, because there was no sign and when I asked her the name, she just smiled and mumbled something I didn’t catch. Thankfully, I saw Tenerelli on a couple of the crates.

I might try to go to Hollywood on Sunday before Dad’s Day lunch. I would love to try those Rainier Cherries.

Harry’s Berry’s

Had to get more of their amazing Strawberries before the season is over! :slight_smile:

Mara Des Bois Strawberries:

At this point in the season, they are pretty consistent: It still has that amazing Grape Punch-like finish! They are so mind-boggling delicious, and that finish is even more strange (and awesome). :slight_smile:

And more importantly… Harry’s Berries have started harvesting their awesome Tomatoes now! :slight_smile: If you haven’t tried them before, their small Tomatoes are fantastic. They usually have 2 - 4 varieties at any one time. Currently they have 4 varietals:

They give out free samples, so stop by and try them all. :slight_smile:

Organic Juliet Tomatoes:

Are usually my favorite each year. Currently they are just getting to be ripe, so they aren’t as sweet as they usually are (I’d wait a few weeks). Normally, they are low acid, perky, with a good balance of Tomatoey sweetness and savoriness.

Organic Red Grape Tomatoes:

These are the smallest of the Tomatoes, but today, they tasted just a touch under-ripe. Normally when fully ripe, I find them quite good, but not as sweet as the Cherry Tomatoes.

Organic Red Cherry Tomatoes:

These are sweet, and has the most familiar umami-like Tomato flavor you might be used to.

Organic Yellow Cherry Tomatoes:

And for today’s selections, their Yellow Cherry Tomatoes were the best! Perfectly ripe. They were bursting with sweetness (an uncanny, mouth-watering DELICIOUS sweetness!). :blush:

They were seriously amazing. You could eat them straight up like fruit, and they are fantastic on salads. :slight_smile:

Harry’s Berries
(@ Santa Monica Farmers Market (Saturday)) (at the 3rd Street Promenade)
3rd Street & Arizona Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Day: Saturday

(@ Hollywood Farmers Market (Sunday)) (North of the Arclight Cinemas)
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Day: Sunday

Also at Farmers Markets in:

Beverly Hills
Hermosa Beach
Montecito
Ojai
Pasadena
Santa Barbara
Santa Clarita
Santa Monica
Thousand Oaks
Torrance
Venice
Ventura
West Hollywood

See Website for more details:

http://www.harrysberries.com/

2 Likes

:smile: @Chowseeker1999 - I wanted to ask you about tomatoes. But wasn’t sure how far to go with the Farmers Market talk. Thank you, thank you! I haven’t had a really good tomato in what seems like years, and I love small ones.

Hi @TheCookie,

Wait till you try the ones from Harry’s Berries! :slight_smile: Stop by and sample all 4 varieties and see which ones are the ripest / favorite of yours. They are so good! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have to strongly echo the Harry’s Berries recs. They’re expensive but totally worth it imo. I also like their strawberry preserves. Can’t wait to try the Viva Patricias!

2 Likes

Strong showing for stone fruits this week at the farmers market. Wonderful black plums from Varni farm

6 Likes

Thanks, @Chowseeker1999! My friends and I hit up the Hollywood Farmer’s Market yesterday morning, and had a great time searching out Harry’s Berries and the Tenerelli stands. The berries from Harry’s are truly spectacular. I really loved the Gaviotas, while my friends preferred the Seascapes. The Mara de Bois were also very good…I loved the unique hit of grape as you bite into the strawberry. Very surprising. Bought a pint of each, and picked up some of their strawberry “drink” to make brunch cocktails with.
I really enjoyed the Golden Lady variety. The Snow Queen was good, but not quite perfect. I wish I could get peaches this good all the time!
While walking north on Ivar we encountered a French yogurt maker. I’ve forgotten the name, but they sell their yogurt in little glass jars with gold foil tops. We tried their delightful yogurt cheese, which was akin of a lighter version of cream cheese mixed with bit of creme fraiche. Their strawberry yogurt was very good, as was their Meyer lemon. The moment I enjoyed the most was trying their French vanilla flavor…it reminded me of my Mom’s Vietnamese yogurt. Turns out the producer is Vietnamese and uses French methods that inspired his own family. Vietnamese-style yogurt is lighter than traditional yogurt, and is a bit tart and just a tad sweet (and is always plain and never flavored with anything else). Imagine Pinkberry’s original tart flavor in yogurt form. Each jar is about $4…and totally worth the money because the memories it stirred. For those interested, Van’s Bakery in the OC makes a version quite close to what my Mom makes.

7 Likes

Are you tired of reading about strawberries yet? Well here’s more :smile:. Check out Google and click on the dancing strawberry. It’s the Summer Solstice accompanied by a once in a generation Strawberry Moon.

1 Like