Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- JUNE 2016 -- NOMINATIONS

Perhaps the temperate weather over the last few days will produce some surprising nominations…

Previous winners:
January: LAMB
February: PASTRIES
March: DUMPLINGS
April: VEGETABLES
May: KOREAN

Voting closes at 05/28 @ 8PM.

THAI since talking about Thai food has certainly been popular this month, moreso than posting about Korean :confused:

1 Like

HIPSTER JOINTS
RED F*ING MEAT
EASTERN EUROPEAN (INCLUDING FORMER USSR)
PLACES KEVIN WOULD LIKE (IF HE STILL POSTED HERE???)

What do you think?

1 Like

1 Like

What would hipster joints be like? That sounds more like the clientele of the month, rather than DoTM… :wink: (is the winking face showing up? I’m trying it, but it ain’t showing up in my preview…)

1 Like

That’s what I want to find out:blush:

Just trying to shake up the format from a single dish/culture.

Maybe we will have a nice list of places to avoid, or to go to while donning our ironic facial hair, amusing head gear and skinny jeans riding well up our shins.

1 Like

Well, I certainly think it’d be fine to alter the concept of DoTM to keep it fresh and interesting to posters. But perhaps we still make the alteration more food-centric (rather than involve demographic stuff).

Maybe a specific ingredient, rather than a dish? Or a flavor profile (or even flavor combinations)?

If anyone else has some ideas to refresh DoTM (or if you prefer to leave it as-is), please chime in. :slight_smile:

Well DOM has been more ingredient than actual dish down here (Chicken, lamb, etc.)

Back on the CH SF board where it all started it was more of a single dish like “beef noodle soup” or “Chinese tamale”.

I’m certainly down for a single specialized dish. Or region of town.

ICE CREAM!

4 Likes

didn’t we do frozen dairy products once?

How about just using all FOOD suggestions? Narrowing it down to one rule could get tedious and cut down on posting. That’s why there were so many interesting posts on Vedg Month and less on a specific like Korean. Not that I’m complaining, specific is fun, just not every month. If you like you could set a guideline (not a rule) for the months voting, egs., A dish, ingredient, flavor combinations, ethnicity, a color. We all pick within that guideline.

[quote=“paranoidgarliclover, post:5, topic:3377”]
What would hipster joints be like? That sounds more like the clientele of the month, rather than DoTM
[/quote] or rather Cynical Joke of the Month.

You’re doing great babe. And yes your wink is showing up.

Ooh, region of town sounds interesting…

Interesting insight. I also think that something ethnic-specific might get less of a response b/c it almost requires that someone go out to a specific area (is there a lot of good Korean food outside of K-town?) and then limit themselves to that cuisine.

Okay, I’ll accept style of cuisine (Thai, Eastern European, etc) for this month, but then let’s move back to more ingredient-focused and non-ethnic based stuff for the subsequent months. So, in the future, instead of “pad thai,” it might be “non-wheat based noodles.” Or instead of “stuff cabbage” (since that may strongly seem to suggest a specific cuisine), maybe “stuffed vegetables.”

Thanks for the vote of confidence, @TheCookie. :wink: Couldn’t see secretasianman’s cartoon or my winky face until I quit my browser. The perils of having a laptop going on 6-yrs old, I guess. ::sigh::

1 Like

[quote=“paranoidgarliclover, post:12, topic:3377”]
region of town
[/quote] That’s kind of what I’m talking about. If you decide on “region” we can vote which region. I hope I don’t regret it… I’m a lazy driver. But it sounds fun!

It might just be a hiccup today. I couldn’t see CiaoBob’s “blush”.

1 Like

GLUTENS

2 Likes

Octopus

2 Likes

Good one. OCTOPUS

at least do CEPHALOPODS if you’re going to do octopus.

3 Likes

i am a sucker for grilled octopus prepared any style. I will almost always order an octopus dish as a appetizer or small plate.

1 Like

This is one trend that isn’t based on animal fat and I like it.

There are a lot of places in town doing great octopus dishes.

Miro has a version with several tentacles connected so you get webbed portion between tentacles which has a different texture (a bit more gelatinous).