Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- NOVEMBER 2016 -- THANKSGIVING/HARVEST

You got one! You’re the first I know of who’s actually had a Loreto’s turkey… and you love it. That’s encouraging. I’ve been tempted.

Thanks, but that doesn’t answer the question?

What ever the process is, me like. Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

Well then, maybe she’ll answer you.

We had a frenched rack of lamb from Bristol Farms in the fridge that we were planning on preparing for Thanksgiving - we never got to it. We ended up spending most of the day having the privilege of serving meals at a church in the SFV. Wife dropped this on me kinda last minute - probably so I wouldn’t have time to back out with a half-baked excuse.

Worked our asses off most of the day. At the end of the service, eyes were bloodshot, feet were sore and our souls were tempered by the reality that, no matter how unfortunate one may feel, so many more are far worse off.

Another friend gifted us with a homemade pumpkin mascarpone pie. As great a baker as this guy is, I honestly didn’t have the energy or appetite to properly enjoy his gift. The real gift of the day was another kind of pie - humble.

6 Likes

Love your stories. :relaxed: I read that one to the hubby.

Indeed. That’s why Thanksgiving’s my favorite holiday. Not as commercialized as many other holidays, and there’s a self-reflective and contemplative quality about it that we don’t often get in our society.

Kudos to you and your family for volunteering and sharing your generosity w/ others who need it.

3 Likes

Ha ha, I do compose my plates, but usually pretty quickly since I’m too impatient, @Ns1. My Thanksgiving meal was an example of slapping it on a plate and tucking in a few minutes afterwards because I was starving. It’s a silly hobby, but I enjoy it nonetheless.

Here’s a rare example where I really took my time with the plating and composition.

Aww thanks again, @TheCookie. The cake plate and the cake stand were from Anthropologie. The plates are long gone, but if you’re interested you can still get the stand from Fishs Eddy: http://www.fishseddy.com/catalog/product/view/id/4366/s/cake-stand-inverted-thistle-rose-8-1-2-quot-/. I’ve provided the link for the smaller stand. Cheers!

4 Likes

Very interested. I wrote “plate” because I couldn’t quite tell if it was a stand. It is so pretty. If I had the space I would start a cake stand collection :blush:.Thanks.

1 Like

It’s my favorite holiday too. I’m not religious. But one of the things I love is holding hands for grace or everybody saying what they’re grateful for. Plus there’s all that great food! The only thing I wish is for people to stop being jerks in grocery store parking lots.

2 Likes

I hear you about wanting a cake stand collection, @TheCookie. If I had more room, I would buy this jadeite one in a heartbeat: http://www.shopterrain.com/milk-glass-serving/jadeite-cake-stand

1 Like

We are so on the same page. Those two are exactly what I would get. It is the season for giving… and receiving, hehehe.

1 Like

Oh, how funny. I want the ones they recommend from Cook’s Illustrated b/c I would use them to cut and frost cakes (which is very different from wanting a pretty one for presentation/photographing… hee, hee).

1 Like

I know, I know. I was thinking as I was having that little convo with MaladyNelson “This is such a girly moment.” :blush: Do you have a picture of the utilitarian cake stand?

2 Likes

Ah yes, totally different purposes, @paranoidgarliclover. I’m not really a baker, although I love cooking in general. It would be cool to split cake stands into a topic on its own. I’d love to see the ones you’re interested in.

Ha ha, I do love girly cake stands, @TheCookie!

1 Like

@MaladyNelson and @TheCookie

Here you go:

3 Likes

Thanksgiving in Lafayette Square

When my husband’s grandparents passed, his cousins bought their big Craftsman-style house. So it’s fitting that they always put on a big family Thanksgiving.

I think we said home cooking is okay on this one.

Okra Gumbo

Relishes, Cranberries and Ambrosia

Gotta’ have Ambrosia. Not me. But someone must, because it’s always there.

Ratatouille (of sorts) and Corn Pudding

Vegetarian Greens

I guess if you know how to cook them right you don’t need the smoked meats. Because these were delicious.

A Cabbage thing (?) and My Scalloped Potatoes au Gratin

Mashed Potatoes and Dressing

I particularly liked the dressing. It was moist on the inside and crispy on the outside, not too dense and had a medley of shrooms.

Candied Yams

I learned from my aunt to baste yams for good flavor and caramelization.

Mac & Cheese

Smoked Turkey and a Moist & Juicy Brined Turkey

Gotta’ Have Ham

Prime Rib and Horseradish

Even when you take a little of everything, it’s a lot.

The insanity continues…

Bundt Cake, Sweet Potato Pie, Peach Cobbler, Lemon Pound Cake & This Crumble thing that turned out to be Crustless Pumpkin Pie

We all formed an unbroken chain of hands and this nice man said a beautiful grace. Because obviously we have a lot to be thankful for.

Happy Holidays.

16 Likes

That is a beautiful meal. What an amazing assortment of food.

And I will definitely chat with you before I attempt scalloped potatoes again, yours look ideal. (I didn’t even know what they were called before you told me. I posted “potato gratin with cheese”.) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cath might correct you :slight_smile:. But I think it’s all the same. Also, some will say scalloped potatoes (less cheese) are different than potatoes au gratin. I took a scalloped potato recipe and upped the cheese. I’ll give it to you in What’s Cooking when you’re ready. It’s easy and you get a lot of oohs and ahhs.

Thanks!

1 Like

What a spread! How many people were at dinner???

2 Likes