Dishwashers

My childhood network of Taiwanese and Cantonese family friends also viewed dishwashers as drying racks. One actually threw out the dishwasher and re-mounted the racks in the space, turning it into a drying / storage cabinet.

The most common complaint I heard was that they took forever and nobody could stand the thought of eating detergent residue. But that was the 70s-80s. Technology and culture are probably different in the current generation. (I’m too old to change, and I tend to live in apts with old dishwashers…)

1 Like

The oldest dishwasher I ever used did as good or better a job of rinsing than doing it by hand.

The place I ordered the Miele from just charged my credit card for $1, so maybe the truck’s going to pick up one of these days.

Status has in fact changed for my Miele, now it says “Coming to warehouse. Will ship soon.”

1 Like

Ugh, I switched to a Fisher & Paykels and it should be arriving in July

FWIW we got the Bosch after the newish Viking that came with our house died in 2018 or so and have zero complaints despite heavy use during the pandemic.

3 Likes

Still waiting on the Miele I ordered six months ago. I hate to pay to have the old Whirlpool fixed, but the rotors aren’t spinning so it’s not cleaning properly.

1 Like

The problem with the eight-year-old Whirlpool is that it needs a new motor, which would cost $500, so I gave up on the Miele and bought a Bosch 300 from a local dealer that had some in stock and can install it right away.

1 Like

I think it might’ve mentioned it earlier, but we have a Bosch 300, and we love it. I’ll be interested to hear your impressions of it.

Ran the new dishwasher for the first time last night. It’s so quiet I forgot to listen to judge exactly how quiet beyond not being able to hear it in the next room. Countdown time display is handy. Nice not to have to pre-rinse dishes like with the dying old Whirlpoo.

4 Likes