Do you go to Grand Central Market to eat? Are you likely to go to

Belcampo is the only place in L.A. where I’ve found better pork than Marconda, although it was about three times the price! I don’t eat that much beef, but knowing that Huntington gets theirs from Hastings Ranch would have me getting that elsewhere too.

As for sausages, I live close enough to the northern end of Glendale to make regular runs to Schreiner’s. Between their German-style offerings, the Armenian/Eastern European ones at Jon’s, and Rosario’s splendid hand-made Italian ones at Roma Deli, I’ve got about more of that kind of stuff than I could ever eat.

2 Likes

say…

what’s good, please, at roma deli besides the sandwich(which is excellent)?

thanks.

The sandwich on ciabatta is not excellent.

1 Like

The sandwich on the seeded rolls was not good; on the crusty rolls it was superb. Rosario simply got tired of cleaning up all the crust crumbs – delicious but messy as hell – and got the new softer rolls instead. We kinda had a fight about that, but then he had a whole behind-the-counter area to keep clean, whereas I just had a tabletop. He said I’d like it; well, I didn’t hate it, not like those tough rubbery seeded crusts, but it was merely as good as its innards.

I say I’ll take messy but delicious over not-messy and okay any day. But I don’t have a Health Department to worry about. Damn it anyway.

@ linus: Aside from the groceries, which are pricey but good, his sausage (which he makes every day, starting around 5 AM) is about the best I’ve had, and his marinated artichokes are damn good too. A lot of people line up to buy their cold cuts from him – he buys from the usual suppliers, but sells only the meats he’s tried and decided are the best – and I think that with the mortadella (also featured in The Sandwich) he nailed it. Years ago he was slicing some for a customer and he pulled off a sliver and handed it to me with a wink … it was like an incredibly rich, pork-and-mace-flavored breath on my tongue. It didn’t actually melt there but it gave that impression. I have to get a quarter-pound of that every now and then to make my own sandwiches with.

i’m confused… is this elsewhere?

Well, I brought up the sausages at Roma in Pasadena (adding to why I didn’t need no steenkeeng Huntington Meats) and then linus asked about other things there besides The Sandwich (famous in many quarters), and then it kinda got out of hand. So Yeah, sorry.

We can all go back to 3rd and Fairfax now if you’d like.

1 Like

not at all … let it grow… i just have a tough time following reply patterns here.

1 Like

Question: I haven’t been to GCM since it has become such a foodie Mecca. I know, I know… I’m on the late train. Do they have a central/communal eating area like Farmer’s? We were thinking of going for Father’s Day. It would be good if everyone could select their preferred meal, then all sit together.

The tables are scattered throughout the market. Sometimes on a busy day it’s hard to find seating.

Thanks @wienermobile. I guess that’s probably not a good plan for Dad’s day. I was looking forward to trying your beloved Egg Slut. :frowning2: another day.

The place was a mad house on Friday during lunch. Tables were hard to come by if you chose not to eat at a counter. The Eggslut line is also no joke. It was already long at 11:15AM, and serpentined around the stand by 11:40AM. I wasn’t game enough to try it since I had polished off an Egg Salad sandwich from EuroPane in Pasadena earlier that morning.

Oh good to know. Thanks!

there are tables downstairs too that not everybody knows about.

3 Likes

…but it’s also a bit like a dark dungeon down there too.

I vow to never wait in a long line for egg slut.

[quote=“PorkyBelly, post:73, topic:3224, full:true”]
there are tables downstairs too that not everybody knows about.
[/quote] Since it will be our first time, I think we’ll check out GCM on a non-holiday first. Thanks for the tip.

I know this has nothing to do with FM or GCM. But, what do you think of Wolf? I’m trying to please vegetarians, meat eaters & picky eaters who are sick of Mexican :unamused:

Me and my slut…and the Venice location should be opening soon.

4 Likes

I might have to steal her away from you.

2 Likes

Should be a good choice. They are very veggie friendly and the beef cheek is good

1 Like