Do you go to Grand Central Market to eat? Are you likely to go to

yes, the remodel looks great! Happy hour @ either FM bar is a good deal—I think beer/wine is $6. It’s fun to drink and people watch.

They got some 25 very good taps now. Mostly local. It was not the case before. Great pitcher prices of stuff like Three Weavers

1 Like

@LAgirl - Okay I get it. I still get a lot of bang from FM and Grove for the reasons you mentioned. It’s not just food. Maybe it’s not supposed to be. So the new additions - love Fritzi Dog, etc - are good enough for me. A few cool non-food places have opened up as well. I know Woody from the barbershop… Really happy he’s found a good home.

Yea I like it too, especially with a kid on slower days. Hope to up the food game there.

It’s Interesting to me that when Wexler’s & Egg Slut decided to expand they both took a pass on The Orginal Farmers Market.

Because I haven’t made that first move yet to make it cool :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

His place is great. My coworker treated her husband to a haircut and straight shave for Valentines Day. It’s also cool that one can drink beer while @ the barber.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not supposed to be. It’s a “shopping & dining destination” :grin:

1 Like

@Nemroz - Yep, I take my 5yr old godson. He loves it. We start with pancakes at Du-pars.

@wienermobile - Hmmm… curious.

Dupar’s pro tip—you can bring in beer/wine from EBs or 326 to go along w/ your meal.

1 Like

you take him to Pan Pacific park i hope

Last time we went to Pan Pacific his hotheaded father and my hubby almost got in a fight with some guys for throwing a ball too close to our blanket. Then my niece left her wallet in her car and came back to a smashed window. We decided the place had bad juju for us. I do take him over to LACMA & Tar Pits.

I love Magee’s and some of the Gumbo Pot stuff, a good thing since that’s where our from-all-over gang always gets a table. I also truly love the Korean meat-and-rice bowls, a bunch of nice tasty food for cheap. When it comes to stuff to take home, I’ll always see if Marconda has those big inch-thick pork steaks and get at least one, even though I’m the only one at home who eats that (and the cats don’t count!). As for Du-Par’s, I care only for the pies, and then because that is the only place I know of around here that does gooseberry. And mediocre gooseberry beats none at all … Loteria has never impressed me much, though one of us got a plate last time that I’m not remembering well but was very good. However, I’m still mourning the former chef/owner of the pizza place facing Gumbo Pot, the very tall old French woman who’d learned the art from her late husband, the previous owner. Good pizza, always so carefully made.

Yes Marconi’s has some really good selections - Huntington meats & sausages as well. I think Loteria is a matter of preference. I really like moles & stewed chicken in my tacos, so they hit it for me. They also have good vegetarian selections and nice handmade tortillas.

Right. And try the Posole as well. Really good.

I get my meats over there a lot, and basically buy all my chicken at Puritan.

1 Like

Thank you, autocorrect, for screwing up Marconda. At least once, maybe twice! (I did just fix it, BTW!)

@ TheCookie: One reason I bought a thermoelectric cooler for the car was so I could buy meat at Marconda on a hot day and get it home to Pasadena safely. As for Huntington, I want to try some sausages, but most of their stuff is a bit pricey for me. And the guys behind the counter are not nearly as friendly, either.

Oh yes, Marconda. That’s funny about Huntington. My husband was about to pull one of the guys over the counter for talking down to me once. I hadn’t really noticed. Females get used to condescension I guess :neutral_face:

1 Like

Personally I think the meat (steak & sausages) is better at Marconda anyway with the exception of Nancy’s blend for ground beef at Huntington which I really like and the guys at Marconda are more than willing to do custom orders or butchery which I like.

1 Like

Considering that Harris Ranch supplies Huntington while Marconda sources from some green place like Montana you’re def right.

Though the sausages and bacon at Huntington is where it’s at