Dog-Friendly Restaurants

Ah yes, Shake Shack is a fine idea, @ipsedixit! I’ll certainly need to bribe the pup! It’s quid pro quo.

Bar Moruno (3rd Street FM) was perfect for our pup on a leisurely Friday afternoon!

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me about Bar Moruno, @chewchow! I went to Moruno during the summer, but felt unwell that day, so that tainted my experience. It wasn’t their fault. My husband really liked his meal though. I look forward to giving them another go.

I went to Plan Check Little Osaka late in the evening a couple of nights back after a stressful day. Was thinking about having the fried chicken sandwich but when I saw the Machismo Burger on the specials board, well I got weak and ordered that with the sweet potato waffle fries. Excellent burger and fries as usual! While I was waiting a busboy was weaving a heavy chain through the patio furniture. I was wondering if Rocky (my new rescue pup) would be welcome on their patio? Well now I know!

2 Likes

We almost always eat in the patio area and four-legged family members are in that area more times than not. Congrats on your new buddy!

3 Likes

Completely off topic - Dog’s On A Plane
What is the deal with the number of “service animals” welcomed aboard?
I am fairly allergic to animals, so the possibility of sitting near one on a plane really worries me.
Every time I fly, as I did yesterday, I am completely amazed how the planes, and waiting areas at airports, become more and more kennel-like. I have been on flights that won’t serve peanuts due to a passengers allergies - maybe they will serve “service peanuts.” I really think animal owners are abusing this service system.

4 Likes

Good to know that the Plan Check on Sawtelle welcomes dogs, @bulavinaka. And congratulations on adopting Rocky, @sel!

3 Likes

There are two things happening.

Service dog/ESA training is increasing along with pet ownership in general. Small dogs (and cats) have always been allowed on board as long as the airline is notified ahead of time and they can fit and remain in a small under the seat carrier. The thing is that they have to remain only on the flight. Often you will see them out in the terminal. But on on the plane they care fairly contained. Service dogs/ESAs also have to be pre-booked with documentation but they do not have to remain in a carrier. But they are not allowed on seats or to linger. They typically stay at the feet of the handler.

You can, when booking and checking into your flight note your allergy to make sure there no one has with a pet has booked a seat near you.

–Dommy!

1 Like

Congrats about Rocky!!! Thank you for rescuing! :))) Plan Check near DTLA allows dogs on their Patio. You can always call ahead heading out just to make sure and reserve an outside table. They are becoming precious real estate!

–Dommy!

3 Likes

As usual, I’m very late reading the thread. I’ve seen a dog on the patio of Butcher’s Dog and of Bachi (Ohana?) Burger on Sawtelle. I don’t know if you’d be able to find much to eat at either place @MaladyNelson, but at least your dog would be happy. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, thanks for the info, @paranoidgarliclover! If my dog’s happy, then I’m happy.

1 Like

also, it has become increasingly easy to have your dog certified
as a support animal.
a coupla/few hundred bucks and a signature from a doctor, and your dog is
good to go on the plane.

1 Like

Doesn’t even need to be a doctor, actually (I think)…

Actually it does. Airlines require a letter for ESAs from a doctor. There is this belief that you can not challenge the people due to ADA or HIPAA. You CAN ask what task the dog is trained for at places that only allow service dogs (Inside restaurants, grocers)

–Dommy!

But if they say the dog is trained for emotional support (for example) you still can’t deny entrance. The only time you would be able to say no is if the dog is still in training

ESAs are not allowed inside restaurants or supermarkets. Only service dogs. Whole foods in DTLA even had to put up a sign because everytime you walked in there there was some dude with his giant schnauzer at the Salad Bar!

Of course it is always up to management to enforce it. Some don’t know or want to bother. My friend’s husband innocently asked a TJs manager why a lady was allowed to bring in a dog in there. He manager said because she was carrying it. If she was carrying it then it was okay (NOT true!) so the next time he went after picking up their 40lb collie mix from daycare, he just tucked her under his shoulder and quickly grabbed some eggs…

–Dommy!

1 Like

lol!

we really, really like dogs at salazar. i do at least.

4 Likes

are they served as tacos or as a plated entree?

12 Likes

You are incorrigiable.

Linus = Wilfred

2 Likes