Dog-Friendly Restaurants

Er, no, they don’t: https://www.aa.com/content/images/generic/ESAN_Form.pdf. Unless this form is outdated, it specifically states that a mental health professional can also sign the form and then lists at least one type of provider (LCSW) that isn’t a doctor.

For everyone else, remember that a service animal and an emotional support animal are 2 diferent things (and, as @Dommy mentions, only service animals have protected status in public areas).

Retort of the year!

1 Like

And apparently now ducks in captain America diapers and red shoes.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Linus - uh Wilfred has a somewhat strained relationship with ducks. And pigeons. And motorcycles. And stuff.

and here i was hoping you meant wilfred owen.

1 Like

Hey now, the owner’s probably a celebrity: Ben Aflac.

2 Likes

The TJs in Westwood has a sign saying they’ll dog sit for you at the front if you’re just running in for something quick. But when I asked about it, the lady I spoke with didn’t sound super enthused, so I’ve been reluctant to try.

1 Like

naw, it’s clearly one of those ‘duck dynasty’ cast members.

On the form there is a box that MUST be:

Must be completed by Mental Health Professional or Medical Doctor

or

Alternatively, please provide the passenger with a written
statement containing the information below on your practice letterhead.

Most people with ESAs just have a standard letter from their doctor/therapist that they can submit a copy of. I work with a GSD rescue (I write about dogs instead of food nowadays) so when people come specifically looking for service dogs we speak to them about what is required and where they can turn for help so they can start off responsibly. Believe me, no one is more critical of the current spate of ‘fake’ service dogs (but it’s not an epidemic like some would like you to believe) than those who work with them. However, just with everything else, it helps EVERYONE to understand the process and that these just aren’t people ‘cheating the system’

–Dommy!

1 Like

2017 bump. Any new leads for Sherman Oaks area? Needs heated patio lamps and cover as it will be for this Wednesday and there is a mild possibility of rain…

1 Like

Both Blue Dog and Tipsy Cow have covered patios. Not sure about heaters, but you can call. I recommend making a reservation as both are really popular with the canine set.

–Dommy!

2 Likes

I haven’t been, but I’ve heard that The Bellwether in Studio City is dog-friendly.

The Bellwether
13251 Ventura Blvd. Suite A
Studio City, CA 91604
(818) 285-8184
http://thebellwetherla.com/dinner/
Brunch: Saturday + Sunday 10:30 am-2:30 pm
Dinner: Daily from 5pm

1 Like

Blue Dog has heat lamps. Fat Dog does as well. While I like the Tipsy Cow I think Blue Dog does the same thing, burgers and beer, better.

1 Like

Thanks for the Intel.

Adding to this thread, as we’ve recently adopted a Blue Heeler rescue puppy and if we can’t bring her along, we can’t dine out at the moment (she can only stay in her crate ~2 hours right now, and given the state of LA traffic…). Places I’ve found with dog-friendly patios include:

Gwen
Sycamore Kitchen
Go Get Em Tiger (Los Feliz has a full menu)
Manuela
Salazar
Square One
Baco Mercat/Ledlow/PYT
Akasha/AR Cucina
Otium

Funny enough, the hipster haven that is Winsome only permits service dogs on their patio. Not at all what I would have expected.

2 Likes

I don’t know the difference but “certified farmers markets” in CA don’t allow dogs.

I know that ours in the Tahoe area have very specific signage to this effect.

The Original Farmers’ Market at Third and Fairfax is a permanent structure with several restaurants and other shops. It is no longer a farmers’ market; it has retained the name.

http://www.farmersmarketla.com/

In case some of you are looking for more upscale dining; Cassia, Bestia and Angelini Osteria not only permit dogs on their patios, our dogs get bowls of water and lots of attention as the owners of these restaurants are dog lovers. As an extra bonus these three restaurants can be loud inside; the patios are quieter.

7 Likes

Try Spread which is on the next block from Baco Mercat. I was surprised to see how many dogs were brought into the restaurant without management even batting an eye. I think this is a sign of the times. Residents in DTLA substitute kids with dogs. If you can’t bring your dog to A, then you move on to B and so on.

1 Like