Dolan's Uyghur Cuisine in Alhambra - Pictorial Essay

Just had to go there to check out the menu and to try a couple of items. Had the Uyghur Goshnaan (Lamb Meat Pie, which seemed smaller than the one at Omar’s), and their Laghman (they need to improve the preparation of the beef used in the dish).

2 Likes

I am very interested in that lamb but at $468 that means I’d probably want 10 people to split it with.

1 Like

possible FTC meat-up? ha.ha.

also: does this place serve halal meat or state that fact anywhere in the restaurant?

On their door.

1 Like

Dolan’s Uyghur Cuisine 阿凡提美食 in Alhambra

Posted by LAFOODIEPANDA on JANUARY 28, 2019

EDIT

Dolan’s Uyghur Cuisine 阿凡提美食 in Alhambra

One of the co-owners, Bughra Arkin, works throughout the day and is very friendly towards customers, as are the rest of the service staff. They have opened for not more than a week when word got out about them on Food Talk Central and on EaterLA. We my SGV LA & OC Chinese Foodies group and I dined there this past Saturday for lunch, they were packed.

Signs on the doors indicating that Dolan’s is a Halal establishment

Short staffed by one that day, Bughra and one other server move about back and forth, from table to table, taking care all of their customers’ needs until the lunch rush finally subsided around 2:30pm. Though our lunch ended up taking over 2 hours, we were able to enjoy an array of dishes, and they were all delicious. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, we weren’t able to try the Boiled Mutton nor the Roasted Mutton Leg this time. Both dishes require almost 30 minutes to prepare.

We started off with a few of the appetizers, including a Pumpkin Manti, which many of us have never seen offered before by any of the other Uyghur restaurants in the Los Angeles area. Mantis were delicious, both pumpkin and meat-filled, and the dumpling wraps were thin and tender, making them quite delicate to handle. I enjoyed the Samsa, which reminds me of a samosa but made with puff pastry instead. It was light and delicious from both the puff pastry and the well seasoned minced lamb meat.

Pumpkin Manti (6 per Order)

Inside of the Pumpkin Manti

Samsa (Like a Samosa, but made with puff pastry, 4 per order)

Inside the Samsa filled with minced lamb

Manti (Choice of Lamb or Beef, 6 per order)

Inside the Manti filled with minced lamb

Lamb Skewers ($2.75 per skewer, must order in threes)

Boneless Big Plate Chicken is the way to go if you don’t want fuss around with any bones or bone chips, in particular. The dish is well seasoned and cooked with a good amount of dried red chilis that actually give a nice little spicy kick to the dish, much more so than the ones I had at Omar’s or Silk Road Garden. The noodles in both the Big Plate Chicken and Laghman have a nice chewiness to them.

Their Goshnaan is nice and crispy, and does not easily get soggy. The Laghman was good, but some people might find the beef used for this dish and for the Fried Naan dish to be a bit on the dry and chewier side. Uyghur Polo was a hit as well. The version we got was made with beef. However, you’re able to order the Polo with either lamb, chicken or even a vegan version of it as well.

Big Plate Chicken (Boneless, Large Order)

Goshnaan (Meat Pie normally cut into 4 pieces. We had it cut into 8)

Goshnaan is filled with minced lamb

Uyghur Polo (Rice Pilaf with Beef served with salad and yogurt)

Laghman (Hand Pulled Thin Noodles with Beef)

Fried Naan with Beef

Old Shanghai (Stir Fried Shanghai Bok Choy)

Out of curiosity, we ordered a pot of the Uyghur Milk Tea made with black tea, milk, cream and salt. For some of us, it had a hint of smokiness and saltiness to the taste. However, it wasn’t as salty as the version I tried at Omar’s down the street in San Gabriel.

Uyghur Milk Tea (A bit smoky and salty in flavor)

Below is their current menu. They have a huge selection of dishes, which we will want to come back to try. Hopefully in time, they will be able to eliminate the problems most new restaurants encounter during their first couple of months of operation.

7 Likes

“PICTORIAL ESSAY”

Find your own shtick.
My lawyers will be contacting you… ;-D

6 Likes

That’s hilarious! Maybe you could just drop those two words??

That’s all it’ll take for me to call off the hounds.

1 Like

You’re easy.

1 Like

Ya we can get a whole lamb for under 200 and roast it up for 15 people :slight_smile:

Here in the Reno area I can get a whole lamb, pastured, for $500. I’ve had their lamb and it’s really superb. It tastes like LAMB!