Dried or Frozen Hominy (Posole) or Your Best Mexican Food Tips or Questions

I’ve lived in SD as well and def prefer LA tap water, I drink it all the time. For cooking the though the hardness does have an effect and usually not good

1 Like

If this is going to be a discussion of Mexican food, not in LA, could this please be moved?

What the hell? I was inspired and happy about this burgeoning thread. So I step away to go cook some beans then…

1 Like

But it’s on the LA board which I, for one, rarely look at.

I’m confused. I thought this is the LA board and nothing else?

I don’t know why you’re not a fan of the guy. That was good stuff.

What?

Hi @NeverEnough -

You’re right to be confused. FTC is available everywhere. It just happens to be L.A. Centric for some reason. And apparently we’re nuts. This thread went hooey fast. Apologies to you and @ranchogordo. I opened this can of worms, thinking it would be a fiesta of Mexican goodness but…

Cath dear? When are you going on that vacation?

@J_L, I’m surprised at you. What on earth are you doing over here? But as usual, you’re surprising in other ways. You’re probably one of the few posters on this board who actually knows what the best vintage krug clos, blah blah champagne tastes like. But you are cool with L.A. tap. I love it.

Since Two Cents is my middle name, I’ll add mine. I hate L.A. tap. Growing up in Massachusetts we drank what is called “well water”. The cleanest, freshest tasting water around, so we thought. But when my L.A. cousins came to visit they hated it. They thought it tasted like a tin cup. What! My Angeleno husband is the same. He has no problem drinking out of the tap. He thinks just having the Mavea is gourmet :rolling_eyes:. So maybe it’s just a matter of taste and what you’re accustomed to.

P.S. I still agree that hard water is bad for beans.

Happy eating!

Back to beans and hopefully Mexican cooking. After all this talk and article reading I’m sticking with my method.

I soak mine overnight (except pintos & black eyed peas), then drain. I will do the fast boil then sit method, but don’t like the results as much (tough skin). I add all seasonings and aromatics in the beginning, except salt. Cook in low or no sodium stock; bring to a boil, then cook for hours on very low heat. About 30 minutes before done, mash about 2 cups of beans for creaminess, add salt and a seasoned meat (browned or not). If I’m doing vegetarian or lean chicken breast I add a stick of butter, yes, a stick of butter (restaurant trick). Then cook for 30 minutes or until done. I usually cook them in the Dutch oven. But I still say a crockpot is the best way to insure liquid never boils.

2 Likes

Personally I don’t soak but it does help if you are buying your beans at the supermarket and you don’t really know how long they’ve been sitting in a warehouse or how old they are (my mom recently found some pintos in a back shelf that took 6 hours to cook lol been sitting there for years!). For beans like Rancho Gordo and others that are fresher and move through the system faster I wouldn’t (just like new crop rice requires less water.)

2 Likes

My point was that a discussion of cooking any kind of food belongs on Home Cooking not on a regional board. Now if you’re looking for a place to buy them, as this started out, then yeah. But people all over the country/world could be interested in the cooking of them.

1 Like

You folks have a lot of great points and suggestions - learning A LOT about properly preparing dried beans and hominy. These are deceivingly tricky things to prepare that most would think are so simple. I think many people have tried and failed at this, only to never try again because of the poor results.

I’m not trying to be an egotistical CH mod with a stick up my bum, but large parts of this conversation should become a new thread on the “Home Cooking” board. I think it would do a lot of good in many ways there. Yeah, I enjoy our ability to be more free form here, but at the same time, posting this on the proper board increases the usability and value of the site.

And of course, splitting this off is not only kind of up to you folks, but it does involve the efforts and time of ipse as well. Thanks.

4 Likes

re Soaking, it’s almost easier to ask a martini drinker shaken or stirred, gin or vodka (the only correct answer is stirred/gin by the way :slight_smile: )
If i don’t know where the beans are from, I soak. If I do and they’re fresh, say within 2 years of harvest, I don’t. Don’t laugh but some beans are much older.
I think quick soak is kind of silly but if it works, go for it. If the beans are in hot water, it’s cooking. So why not just cook? As I said upthread, I think the secret is A FULL boil for 15 mins and then reduce to a very gentle simmer.

2 Likes

Thanks Steve. Will someone please tell me how to post Home Cooking instead of Americas - USA Los Angeles? I can’t find the other title.

1 Like

Thanks @Ns1. But @catholiver and @bulavinaka are right. I didn’t really understand what Cath was saying. It’s actually my bad. I kinda’ started this. But I wasn’t paying attention to it being on the L.A. Board (explains @J_L’s and others’ attendance :relaxed:). I was just excited to be discussing foods I’m actually passionate about and to have an expert (don’t blush @ranchogordo) with us.

Hi @NeverEnough. @ipsedixit usually moves things for us. Hopefully he’ll tune in and rectify the problem.

Apologies if I was snippy. Last night was a weird one. People arguing and being out of character. Not just on this board… friends family. Maybe there’s something to Dia de los Muertos and Todos los Santos. I should have let my candles burn all night :grin:. Even the animals were weird. My cousin lives above us. She has this giant loveable Akita, named Kaji. He’s very spoiled and let’s out these hilariously huge howls when alone. But last night he was doing it when they were sitting right there. Creepy.

Anyway, I got to get moving. But I’d love to discuss the dried bean thing later. I had an experience last night that ties into the discussion this morning. Hopefully we’ll be moved to Home Cooking by then.

How about those Cubs!

2 Likes

Kaji was acting weird because of the Cubbies. Akitas and bears go back a long way.

Your beans - those sound incredible. What kind of beans?

1 Like

lol… you’re such a sweet cookie

So if someone moves this, I still don’t know how to join that other board. Please explain. I recognize so many names from another place but I have never posted much before. You all seem to know each other.

1 Like

Hah… very true. Such a clever one you are.

Sweet. Thanks! I’ll get back to you guys on the bean thing. I have people waiting to get paid. I don’t want them to go on strike, hehe.

What happens when this gets moved it will still be your thread. You will get message & reply notifications just like you do here. Easy peasy.

…And welcome to the crew :relaxed:!

P.S. Does anyone know if @ipsedixit is okay? He’s been a little M.I.A.