Dried or Frozen Hominy (Posole) or Your Best Mexican Food Tips or Questions

I thought soaking had been kinda debunked. No?

I have been using the non soak method for pintos . After talking to someone who has been cooking pintos for most of his life . I questioned him on his bean cooking after eating them at a get together . It’s about the water he said . He just uses a simple bottled water . I tried the no soak pinto beans . They cooked up real nice . No gas . So if you have good pure water use it . Or just purchase a bottled water for your beans . I’ll never soak again .

There is a avocado tree in the neighborhood and I love to add a leaf to my beans

1 Like

Ahhh… Great Cath.

So you know what I was getting at? Thanks!

1 Like

You know? Old habits and all…

Does a Mavea = to a Brita count?

This all so great.

BOTTLED WATER??? Bad, bad.

And why ?

You’re not joking??? The environment.

I’ll give you that . Just saying if your tap water sucks such as LA and you do not want to pre soak your beans . A bottle is Ok . I’m sure we are all not perfect on environmental issues .I try my best .

1 Like

What’s wrong with the water?

Have you been to LA and drank out of the faucet ?

1 Like

So is it dangerous? If so, boiling will take care of that.

Water in LA is pretty hard.

1 Like

Cath ,It doesn’t have to do with anything with the water quality . It has more to do with water being hard or soft . You want a water that is neutral for cooking beans with the non soak method .

2 Likes

I’m no fan of Kimball but here’s something that may help.

I’ve lived in various parts of the Left Coast and have no idea if the water is hard or soft.

2 Likes

So many haters here. For the record I think San Diego’s water is waaay harder than L.A.'s.

I drink tap in L.A. - been drinking it since the last millennium. I ask for it at restaurants, often much to the chagrin of the water sommelier. Never had a problem drinking tap water in L.A. There is a ridiculous amount of taxpayer dollars spent on making that tap water safe and potable right out of the faucet, and this taxpayer says it’s working.

FYI - I have no pony in the beans discussion - Just wanted to comment on the tap water.

1 Like

It’s all good . No worries . I’m ducking under the table for your comments: :sweat:

1 Like