Dungeness Crab season 2022/2023

$5.99 at Ranch 99 in Cupertino.

Costco in Woodland Hills has fresh cooked Dungeness for $4.99 a pound today. I took it home and shelled it and it’s super fresh. That’s the best price I’ve seen.

6 Likes

Picked up a nice dungeness crab from 168 in Alhambra.
The regular were $5.99/lb and large $6.99/lb.
I went for a large. I’ve never purchased a live crab before, but it seemed like the monger took his time picking out a nice lively one. Total was $16.50.
Having never cooked crab before, we went with a quick trip to the freezer while we warmed up the steamer. 20 mins steam with some potatoes and corn cooked in the pot, too.
Made for a great dinner with some warm garlic butter on the side!
I’ll remember to cut a few lemons next time.

How long does the season last usually?
Thinking of doing a seafood boil for friends and family.

5 Likes

July or earlier if the whales show up.

Dungeness crab are fished along the west coast, if CA commercial closes it is common to find out of state crab, both live and frozen.

2 Likes

They’re caught in California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, and Alaska. When the season ends in California there are usually live crabs available from farther north but that varies wildly from year to year due to many factors affecting availability. This story from September 2017 gives an idea of how complicated it is.

1 Like

My dad has been bringing about 5-6 of them home each time, a few times this month. He always gets them live in a tank at ABC market @$5.99/lb. He won’t buy if it’s higher than that. They are pretty plump and strong, always trying to kick off the lid of the pot that steams them. I know. I was tasked holding down the lid.

1 Like

we did 5 during that first week I posted and now I’m totally over it :smiley:

4 Likes

Costco sells 2-packs of cooked crabs here in SoCal. Most of the time they’re good quality, but not always. One of the two last week had black dots on some claws. I would have passed on that package but my wife bought it. When I cracked the shell to prep for dinner a ton of brown liquidy junk came out. The whole body portion was inedible. Luckily the claws were OK so we shared the body of the other crab. I’d think Costco would offer some kind of credit but going back just for that didn’t seem worth the effort right before Super Bowl Sunday. :woozy_face:

1 Like

Thinking of hosting a seafood boil next month. Y’all think dungeness will still be one sale mid-April?