Dungeness Crab season 2022/2023

Looks like the season finally opened up?

Where do we like to go for live seafood tanks these days - Seafood Paradise in Rosemead?

Hog Island will ship direct $70/2, but shipping is >$100…

2 Likes

99 Ranch almost always has them.

2 Likes

If memory serves there were some there last month, but must have been from Washington or BC.

1 Like

Chinatown currently at $17.99/lb. LAX-C labeled $11.99/lb but nothing was out when we got there.

2 Likes

It was $5.99/LB live at 99 Ranch in SGV about ten days ago. Just saw an ad for $6.99/LB for the next three days but that may be limited to NoCal.

2 Likes

I’d be wary of the quality for $6-7 a pound. I read it’s $5 wholesale in Oregon.

2 Likes

Exactly. Looking at the crab in some of these places look horrible. Even with the live tank . They have been dying the minute they are pulled from the ocean .

1 Like

$10/lb. at Van Nuys 99 Ranch today. Crabs looked great.

6 Likes

It was $8.99/lb at 99 Ranch in San Gabriel on Saturday 01/21. The three we purchased were lively (and, ultimately, tasty).

7 Likes

Whole Foods $9.89 with Amazon Prime

3 Likes

Does 99 Ranch steam on site and if yes, do they have a 2 crab minimum?

Is the dungeness good at WF? I’ve not had terribly good luck buying chilled, cooked crab at supermarkets. They’ve usually been overcooked and less tasty than the ones from the tanks at Asian grocery stores.

Never had the Dungeness crab at WF. We may try this weekend and will report back. I was not a fan of the crabs at Costco. Had both the Dungeness and king crabs. Felt both were lacking in crab flavor and oddly salty. Also not cheap.

1 Like

I wouldn’t buy cooked crab anyplace that didn’t have lively-looking live crabs they were cooking there.

I’m Asian. Gambling is in my blood.

Van Nuys 99 through 1/29

11 Likes

DREBIN

6 Likes

Exactly. How long have they have been cooked then shipped to the grocer . Where I live now I walk by the crab being sold in the store. Ehhh . I don’t think so . After buying direct from the fisherman alive . I’ll pass

1 Like

$6.99/lb at 99 Ranch but when the guy helping me pulled out the smaller crabs and I asked him for the bigger ones he said 8.99 for the bigger ones from the same tank.

4 Likes

Had a $6.75(?)/lb crab at Mom’s market in Westminster. Feisty and delicious.

1 Like

Couldn’t stand it.

Had to buy some for Slanted Door-style crab & cellophane noodles.

13 Likes