Dunsmoor - Glassell Park

this place is very good. I enjoyed everything but the highlights were the scallops, cornbread, stew with flour tortillas, and the pork chop with a 30% fat cap.

best seat in the house is the chef’s counter with your own fan.

bay scallops, delicatessen-style, sippets

chopped chicken liver, bacon, rosemary, onion preserves

north shore-style prawns, green garlic, chili, meyer lemon, parsley

edna’s sour milk cornbread, white cheddar, hatch chili, cultured butter, honey

aunt emmy’s pork & green chili stew, cheddar, flour tortillas

mushroom-crusted pork chop, smoked lard, thyme

17 Likes

agree - it is really good.

Haven’t had the Pennsylvania Dutch Slippery Dumplings yet.
Maybe @JeetKuneBao - newly back from PA can maybe check it out

1 Like

“Dumplings” in PA/NJ/DE is basically just a piece of dough lol I am not kidding. Same with “pot pie” it’s not the Marie Calendars you had in your mind it’s literally dough lol. It’s more of a noodle imo. PA Dutch food is super heavy it’s good but I can only eat so much. Apple dumplings and apple butter that’s what I am talking about! Lebanon bologna is also good.

It’s basically just a real good heavy chicken soup with some dough

4 Likes

I know. Grew up NY and went to college in Binghamton not far from Scranton . Celebrating the food there is kind of a joke.

1 Like

I keep reading about this! :yum:

2 Likes

If you’re feeling adventurous try and make it yourself. I play to soon.

4 Likes

Thanks @MVJPL! The chili recipe looks pretty straight forward. If you make it please post. I will too. I’m not attempting the tortillas. :grin:

2 Likes

If I can convince you, making flour tortillas is actually pretty easy, though great ones can be bought locally.

2 Likes

it’s worth an order

1 Like

You can always convince me @ShadrackToussaint lol. Although, I do have Sonoratown tortillas a few blocks away. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

If that were the case I would just go there and get them lol

3 Likes

Going tomorrow. Must orders? 7 year-anniversary :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like

Lebanon bologna is pretty weird. Beef salame with a lot of sugar.

scallops
albacore
ham
cornbread
green chili stew
pork chop

3 Likes

Unless you’re the ladies at El Ruso churning out hundreds of tortillas by hand, Having an electric tortilla press is a game changer for flour tortillas for the average home cook. I got mine slightly cheaper in DTLA and it’s a dream. Don’t feel bad, even sonoratown uses them.

It makes for paper thin consistent results and par cooks it so there’s no shrinkage. You can then store it refrigerated for 2 weeks easily or even freeze them and super easy to finish off on hot griddle.

13 Likes

Your cooking prowess never ceases to amaze me. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yeah I need to try that cornbread and green chile stew

3 Likes

The tartare is a fav. The spoonbread (from the days at Hatchet Hall) is on the menu now.

2 Likes