East SGV and West IE Hole in the Walls

There is a mariscos jalisco very close to Homage brewery

1 Like

Omanas in Pomona is pretty solid and almost literally a hole in the wall. Cash only, outdoor seating only. Chile colorado is my favorite, get one regular and one as a taco perone, which is any meat in a very good flour tortilla + beans and guac.

1050 W. Holt Ave., Pomona, CA

5 Likes

The El Monte (used to be South El Monte) location of Omana’s was a regular go-to for me. I usually went for the carnitas plate.

Anything new and good in the San Dimas and surrounding area?

Is Irwindale close enough?

3 Likes

Sure! Thank you!

1 Like

Just tried their Baked Curry Pork Chop and Rice due to resurfacing of @chandavkl post. The food was not hot when it reached South Bay but still tasty. The quality is similar to Hong Kong. We are looking forward to have a sit down meal there soon.

You may also want to consider Ashirwad The Blessings (Indian) in Updand. Similar travel time. Very good no thrill Indian food. I crave their Rava Dosa once a while. Too bad they are so far away.

The original Klatch Coffee is in San Dimas. And of course The Donut Man.

5 Likes

Thank you, @liq! Bookmarking Ashirwad. And yeah, Donut Man and Klatch are a given.

Glendora Public Market is a nice spot to pop in for a beer and a bite. Smog City has a very diverse selection of brews. @chandavkl recommends the fried chicken sandwich on pineapple bun which I still haven’t had yet.

If you are headed to San Dimas around breakfast we really like the pastries at Bageloo in Diamond Bar. Cream puffs. Mochi donuts. Good croissants and coffee. Their bagels are ok. I think they are a bit on the chewy side.

3 Likes

Tamarind in Chino was quite good. Pakistani/Indian. Service is lovely when the owner is there.

Furn Saj and Donut Man today

10 Likes

Is that a pide or a khachapuri or what? Looks great.

Well I think there was some debate on whether it should be considered khachapuri in the other thread. But it’s called adjarski on the menu, and I added soujouk.

Let’s talk Khachapuri, particularly the adjaran / adjaruli style (Georgian cheesebread that a lot of Armenians make)

@js76wisco re: Bageloo, they had a sign up a couple of months ago saying that the pastry chef was taking a break (Yelp review from a month ago also said that the chef left and that pastries are now outsourced). I tried the replacement cream puffs and still liked them, but not sure if they decided to go with that supplier permanently or if they chose another one.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. I thought the pastry chef and the owner were one in the same.

Oh, they’re Lebanese. Didn’t yours have sausage?

If you go to the ordering page, they have four optional meat choices, and you can choose scrambled eggs or sunny side up.

1 Like

Yelp review says that the chef is the owner’s daughter.

Let me try to clear up the debate.

Khachapuri are a broad category of cheesy breads… usually stuffed… Adjarski (russian word) or Adjaruli (Georgian word) are just identifying that the style of Khachapuri comes from the Adjara (Adjaran) region in southern Georgia. Bordering Armenia and historically populated by Armenians. Now it has influenced many cultures though in recent years.

15 Likes

Chabelita’s Tacos, pretty solid TJ taco stand in Pomona, close to Chino Hills and conveniently set up in front of a Cardenas Market

4 Likes