East SGV and West IE Hole in the Walls

Interesting to see this place opening in the heart of Pomona on Holt next to Cardenas Market and near Mariscos Jalisco. Based on the club atmosphere pictures, it looks related to Xinjiang BBQ on Garfield in Monterey Park.

6 Likes

Thumbling is a casual Chinese soup-dumpling focused place in West Covina that has been open for a few months but I didn’t want to say anything until I’d been and tried. Family had been and said the Xiao Long Bao (Soup Dumplings) were better than Din Tai Fungs (and may have been started by an ex-DTF chef). I was skeptical but, having tried it now, I do agree that the XLB here are pretty good! I haven’t been to DTF in a long time but Thumbling was pretty close to what I remember of DTF.

Went with a couple of friends and got Pork and Crab and Pork XLB and both had a lot of nice broth and thin skins that didn’t break. Other items we got included Beef Rolls, Spicy Wontons, Noodles with Spicy Sauce, and Chicken Sheng Jian Bao (Pan Fried Bun). Beef rolls and wontons were nice, the others not particularly memorable. I hear the Hot and Sour soup is also an item as good as what you get at DTF. My thought is that most of the basics at DTF are still better but would need to try more items to be sure.

Caveats: I thought it was initial hype but it’s been months since opening and the place is still doing crazy business. Got there at 2:30 PM and the line was still long. Got in after 35-40 minutes of waiting only because my party was fine with counter seating. Go alone or as a party of 2 and you’re likely to get in without waiting as much. Weekday off hours are apparently fine. Parking lot is a good size but there’s also an 85 bakery that tends to be busy so empty spots were few on a Sunday afternoon.

Overall, I’d say it’s not worth a long drive. But if you’re in the area and don’t mind the wait then I think you’ll find some pretty good DTF-style XLB! I also hear it’s cheaper than DTF but again can’t confirm since I haven’t been in a while.

Grabbed dessert after at Il Gusto, which I consider a decent gelato place in the same plaza.

6 Likes