El Compadre

How is this place? over by guitar center.

Edible.
Retro-ish - looks like the archetype Mexican cantina that might have been on any 1970’s TV show.
Not food one would be going out of one’s way to get, but if you wanted decent, Mexican with a strong bar-program, in that area, it’s fine.

3 Likes

Looks like a semi-modern (1975) take on old-school Mexican-American with red vinyl booths, big combo platters, and goblet-core margaritas. I love places like that but is that the best of breed in LA?

2 Likes

Yeah you don’t really go there for the food. If you want a semi-dark ambiance with music and margaritas than it’s fine for meeting up with friends/family to sit down and enjoy. It’s classic LA and a Hollywood hangout.

Go have a flaming margarita and a plate of enchiladas for me.

5 Likes

how come you can’t go?

which food is better? Paco’s? El Cholo’s or El Compadre? I’m trying to gage how edible the food is. Thx

I think el compadre’s food is better than el cholo by a little bit. But they’re the same style.

4 Likes

He’s too busy eating pizza and real lox in NYC.

2 Likes

All pretty much the same but I might give Paco’s the edge for their handmade tortillas.

2 Likes

It’s your typical combo plate kinda place. Doesn’t keep me away I go to both locations to meet up with friends for margaritas and food, it’s easy, casual and food is fine. It’s not Casita Mex or any other high end Mexican. If the Mariachis are playing a couple flaming margaritas make for some festive atmosphere.

2 Likes

I prefer el coyote

1 Like

I went to El Coyote for the 1st time in many, many years (since before the gay marriage protests) a couple of months ago w/ some former co-workers…the food was truly horrible. Cold, overcooked and bland. Worse than I remembered it. My last meal at El Cholo in 2021 was much, much better (for this sort of thing).

4 Likes

It’s dreadful.
Compadre/Pacos/Cholo are quite a bit better than that crud.

1 Like

Sadly I think Casita Del Campo is as bad if not worse. Unfortunate given its history and setting.

Agree Compadre is a rung up, faint praise.

very true. I haven’t eaten there since the 80’s and it wasn’t even good then. But I suppose that’s not really the appeal for the regulars…and Silver Lake is a very different place than in the 80s too.

2 Likes

I go for the mariachi band and margaritas.

1 Like

It’s fun to hear stories from Silverlake’s old guard. And you’re right, that isn’t the appeal of Casita, but I wish the food was passable. It’s bad bordering on hostile.

1 Like