Emails from SD CH posters

Hi DoctorChow,

Welcome! :smile:

To be fair, what Robert has set up here on Food Talk Central Iā€™ve found to be FAR more robust and useful than the current abomination that is Chowhound. Itā€™s not even close.

Posting is a snap. Editing tools, BOLD, Italics, Bullet Points, being able to EDIT your post months later. Adding Photos Inline with your posts, Emojis! :smile:, shout outs to fellow members on the board @ipsedixit, organization, actual Regional Boards again and so much more.

Chowhound is garbage compared to what we have here, and we were begging them to make basic quality of life changes and we couldnā€™t do that.

1 Like

Hi BC. Good to exchange posts with you. Been a while! I learned of FTC from Honk by email back on 9/25, and when I looked, it wasnā€™t too hard to figure out who ā€œPlumeriaā€ was. I wrote (to DD I think) that I thought Plumeria was a nice name. I also looked up the flower. Very nice.

Yes, no Candy Mountain for me! Yay!

I havenā€™t figured out how to edit a post after the fact. Whatā€™s the secret? Sometimes the wording is screwed up or Iā€™ve left out a word entirely and would like to change that after posting.

I really donā€™t see any of the icon control buttons on IE11, which is awkward and frustrating. The avatars appear, but thatā€™s about it. Also, some posts have peoplesā€™ avatars in little squares right underneath a post, on the far left. When I hover I get ā€œhorseā€, ā€œmountainā€, ā€œcocktail glassā€, etc, but not the personā€™s name. I also donā€™t know what those mean. I did find how to find out who ā€œlikedā€ a post.

Anyway, Iā€™m stumbling along here and will hopefully figure things out. I canā€™t be the only kid on the block with IE11.

Hi DoctorChow,

I just took a screenshot:

Youā€™re not seeing the PEN Icon (I added a Green Arrow pointing to it) on your older posts?

In addition, are you saying you donā€™t see the whole Icon Row that I highlighted with a Green Box in the screenshot?

Sorry I donā€™t use Internet Explorer (IMHO itā€™s pretty bad), so I donā€™t know if the Forums have compatibility issues?

You can ask @robert or @ipsedixit with private messages or post one on the Site Feedback forum to see if they can help debug.

Good luck.

I am not sure if it is IE11 but I have used this board on Firefix, Chrome, Safari and IE10 and it always has a ā€œpenā€ under your post which, once you click on it, allows you to edit your post - just switch to Firefox (any way better than IE)

1 Like

Iā€™m posting this reply on IE11, and the same layout that @Chowseeker1999 laid out in her photo illustration applies.

Very interesting. So it must be something in my IE11 setup. Iā€™ll look into that. I wonder if itā€™s a compatibility issue.

No, I donā€™t see any of the items that Chowseeker highlighted. But having had their location pointed out, I was able to move the mouse around and find them (by way of their tool tips). So thatā€™s ok. Iā€™m really used to IE. I know Iā€™ll have to give it up some day, but Iā€™m not ready for that right now.

I have the same issue with a couple of the buttons on CH (the heart, in particular), but I knew where that should be and just hover in that area. Same thing. Not a show stopper, just needed to know.

Thanks for the screenshot and helpful markings. I was able to find ā€œEditā€, which is the most important thing.

Just edited this post. Great! Thanks again.

Glad to help DoctorChow! :smile:

I hope you can find out why your IE11 isnā€™t showing some of these buttons. Once thatā€™s figured out, I think youā€™ll find Food Talk to have a lot of great functionality and itā€™s clean and to the point. :smile:

Canā€™t wait to hear your SD recs. :wink:

I didnā€™t know there was a site feedback here, so Iā€™m going to bring this up (and other things like it) there.

Write to ā€œcodinghorrorā€ or ā€œSam.Saffronā€ using the @

They are part of the Discourse support staff.

Good luck.

I finally identified the issue. It was, of course, specific to my machine. Still, this might be of interest to others.

At some point, in IE11 Tools > Internet Options > Accessibility, I apparently selected the box ā€œIgnore font styles specified on webpagesā€. Unchecking that box has fixed all of the issues with visibility of active icon buttons and similar details ā€“ here and elsewhere.

2 Likes

Glad to hear it finally got fixed Doctor! :smile:

1 Like