Epicurus Gourmet (North Hollywood) - The New Epicure Imports

Good haul!

Did she get the right butter? Is there a wrong butter? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good stuff! You need to check out the flavored Bordier butters, too.

2 Likes

Not there. Hillary, one of the partners, touts the Buerre Bordier as her favorite, but everything I have tried is great. I know @attran99 stocks up on butter there as well. While I love La Tur they have such a great price on Epoisse its hard to pass up. Very fond of their lardo and 'nduja, and the pates as well.

1 Like

Next week’s shopping list just started

1 Like

Yep, Pacifc Coast Co. aka “The Russian Costco.” Still worthwhile, but I assume it was the sanctions that led to fewer items directly from Russia. They still have plenty from the countries that used to be part of the USSR and Eastern Europe, but I used to see things like butter and milk imported from Russia. They also used to have the entire side room dedicated solely to Russian chocolates, but that too is gone.

And, yes, they do carry a lot of tinned fish (and jarred fish). Plenty of kvass and Russian sodas (taragon, buratino, pear) as well.

3 Likes

Us former USSRians don’t make any distinctions about products from Russia vs former republics. We all shop at each other’s places, buy each other’s stuff

Oh. Buy Armenian jams. We have the best fruit in the world and it’s jarred fresh and so cheap

3 Likes

I did that just to point out that they aren’t getting some of the items they had before. Certainly didn’t mean it as a knock, I mean, I make trips there :slightly_smiling_face: It’s just that they aren’t as deeply stocked as before, especially for some items. Even with that, there’s a good selection.

1 Like

:+1: Though I once asked a woman at a counter of one of the small Russian markets for her suggestion on kvass and she told me: “We have from Ukraine, Lithuania, all over…but, I like this one (points to one), it is Russian!” :laughing:

2 Likes

Next time try Bordier Butter

1 Like

I’ve never once bought or considered buying flavored butter. What’s this about?

I do like making my own compound butter but what do you like from them ?

That’s the one I was trying to remember and order. Oops

I’m a fan of the espellette and the yuzu butters. I actually use them to sous vide my vegetables. And the plain Bordier is amazing with fresh bread. I would probably bake with the butter you bought, and use the Bordier to eat/spread on things. Just a personal preference.

2 Likes

@ebethsdad, @Nemroz, @Jase, @JThur01, thank you all for these recommendations! My mind is blown I’ve never heard of these places or products. I can’t wait to check them out.

1 Like

I ain’t that fancy. Our baking butter is simple block of butter I get from my butchers

My sister said the same thing. She thinks French butter is too greasy for everyday use. :thinking: What’s your reason?

1 Like

European cultured butter enhances the flavor and taste of your baked goods a la Chaumont croissants. Compare that next to an American butter croissant…you would get more flavor. And there’s something to European butter having a higher butterfat content, too…I’m not a prolific baker and don’t know all the science behind it.

5 Likes

Definitely not all butter is equal in flavor and fat content. I can’t remember the sources for this so I may be wrong but European and Irish butter (Kerry Gold at least) have higher fat contents which are great for flavor and softer texture but definitely have to be accounted for.

Anecdotally, I’ve made chicken liver mousse pate from Kerry Gold and found the texture too loose compared to the conventional Costco butter even after refrigerating. To reach pretty far back to another source, Julia Child recommended using butter and shortening in her pâte brisée because American butter resulted in too tough a crust or something. I thought that would check out if American butter had a lower fat content because it would theoretically have a higher water content which would develop gluten and make the crust tough (as opposed to shortening, which is pure fat).

Anyway, TL;DR is that when I’ve bought European butters I tend just eat them as butter, not bake with them or use in something where texture is important. Obviously it can be done but you might have to retool a recipe slightly to account for differences in the product.

2 Likes

That’s what FTC does.

1 Like

never heard of