Epicurus Gourmet (North Hollywood) - The New Epicure Imports

No worries! Sorry I didn’t post in time. I hope you got some good stuff!

7 Likes

Oh wow. This move is dangerous. So far we’ve only been able to visit once due to location and service hours but now… this is right by my girl’s exit for work and she goes back Monday !

2 Likes

They are closed Mondays so make sure she waits until Tuesday.

1 Like

It’s by the job so no effort wasted if she sees closed doors

1 Like

Does opening a can count as cooking? Asking for a friend. @TheCookie

13 Likes

I’m uncultured - do people just usually eat that out of the can with wine?

4 Likes

You can, but toast and crackers are good, too.

3 Likes

I’m also a plebe, aside from the pictures posted are there specific brands or products that anyone recommends picking up canned from Epicurious?

2 Likes

Yes! Nummy, nummy! What edible receptacle are u using?

2 Likes

Spanish canned seafood can be eaten out of the can. But pairing it with some hors d’oeuvre-sized pan tostado gives it just that bit of extra sabor. Enjoy!

Addendum: Damn! Those navajas look good right about now… #ICUvendingmachinehasonly funyumsandapples

8 Likes

Hang in there. :fist:

2 Likes

Okay I will give it a try:
First here is there in stock list for this week, https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/92700be0-5fa5-4e1a-9249-a64e798bb4c8/downloads/In%20Stock%20Product%20List%20-%205.15.2020.pdf?ver=1589911070205
If you are looking for canned fish for anchovies I like the Ortiz salt packed in a pouch
For tuna the La Brujula Tuna Ventresca (tuna belly)
The items @PorkyBelly illustrated are excellent.
Tomatoes, the La Fiammante DOP Sam Marzanos (I buy the small cans by the case - you can never go back to supermarket tomatoes again)
Any of the vanilla products either paste or extract
Both the whiskey barrel aged fish sauce and shoyu
Edmund Fallot mustard - any of the multiple flavors
Salt packed capers
The pear nectar!!! OMG most refreshing stuff ever
Really you just have to go in and look. The charcuterie and cheese are so good, and their prices are so great. If they don’t have it they will order it. Just give yourself enough time.

8 Likes

We all appreciate what you are doing!

5 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Looks wonderful. Which ones were your favorite? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds like the vending machine will soon be just apples left…

2 Likes

Wow thanks for this I have it bookmarked and will buy some if not all these things next time I go.

1 Like

Take your time and peruse things. They haven’t been discovered yet so there is no line, and they are fierce about social distancing. Besides what we have mentioned they have wonderful pastas, snacks and cookies. If you are not a baker they have frozen Boulart baguettes. If you are a baker they have flours and yeast. I miss the sample table, but these are unfortunate times. Enjoy!

5 Likes

Growing up in the USSR we were always around canned fish of all types. Not the high grade stuff the spanish had (although we ran the caviar game) but still, good variety of fish and flavors… never spicy… never olive oil… fish only (no shellfish) but so so good. i’d suggest trying some russian canned stuff guys, every store has some… Olive has a huge selection… it’s obviously a fraction of the price of the spanish stuff

also try our canned meats… beef and pork. bomb

7 Likes

Is this the kind of thing you’d find at Jon’s, Super King, Sun Valley Produce, etc.? I’ve been curious about the tinned goods I’ve seen at these places but wasn’t sure where to start. Any recommendations at all (eg, types of fish, brands, uses, etc.) would be most welcome!

2 Likes