Epicurus Gourmet (North Hollywood) - The New Epicure Imports

Sorry I can’t vouch for any of the supermarkets or brands. We go to small shops either in the valley or in West Hollywood. Where do you live?

There are loads of different inexpensive canned fish to try and I don’t even know the English words. Sorry usually I just grab blindly and eat.

The one fish I know which is Sprats which is a strong flavored canned fish food on toast Like this with garlic rub and mayo on bread

Sorry I’ll be more helpful when I go to the store and refresh my memory.

4 Likes

Do you have any suggestions for a good Eastern European store, preferably on the Westside? I used to love going to one on Wilshire around 20th. Great selection of sausages, cured meats, deli meats and groceries. But they closed down a couple of years ago. Ukraina Deli in the same general area just isn’t as good.

1 Like

No worries, that sounds awesome. Thanks for a starting place!

We’re near downtown which is near-ish some locations of the places I mentioned but stock definitely varies depending on where you go and we’re certainly willing to go to the valley for some decent grub.

I think the first place I noticed the canned fish you mention was in the Jon’s in Valley Village which was memorable because I didn’t recall a similar abundance to the Jon’s in Los Feliz.

These days we’re more likely to go to the Super King on San Fernando so maybe we’ll poke around for some sprats next time we’re there.

1 Like

The westernmost store I go to is

Royal Gourmet Deli
8151 CA-2, West Hollywood, CA 90046
(323) 650-5001
https://goo.gl/maps/PBr5BiiuKAkqoEQh7

Very sorry for Epicurean thread drift

4 Likes

I think this is my favorite closest to you

Karabagh Meat Market
5363 Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90029
(323) 469-5787
https://goo.gl/maps/XMyyTeRwSrJMUp7z9

1 Like

Good news. Wifey is shopping at Epicurus G right now!

7 Likes

Thanks!

Whoops, yeah, sorry about that. But I guess not the first time something like this has happened and at least we didn’t get sidetracked on the efficacy of wearing masks. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

I think it is open but Odessa Deli and Market on Magnolia and Laurel has an excellent selection of both canned and smoked seafood. Another place you should check out if you are as deep in the Valley as San Fernando is Pacific Cost Co (or something like that) which is a big box Russian grocery and liquor store on Vanowen almost to the airport.
Edited to add pics of Odessa’s seafood and meat cases. They were taken a while ago so not sure how they are holding up during the lockdown. They make sandwiches there or did. I keep hoping @Nemroz would explain what everything is…

3 Likes

This place?
https://www.yelp.com/biz/pacific-coast-food-north-hollywood-2

I’m going to bookmark now!

2 Likes

That’s the place!

Smoked salmon, mackerel, sable, sturgeon definitely there. Thanks for sharing the shop name! new to me

1 Like

Back on topic, wifey did a nice shopping for me

12 Likes

Good haul!

Did she get the right butter? Is there a wrong butter? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good stuff! You need to check out the flavored Bordier butters, too.

2 Likes

Not there. Hillary, one of the partners, touts the Buerre Bordier as her favorite, but everything I have tried is great. I know @attran99 stocks up on butter there as well. While I love La Tur they have such a great price on Epoisse its hard to pass up. Very fond of their lardo and 'nduja, and the pates as well.

1 Like

Next week’s shopping list just started

1 Like

Yep, Pacifc Coast Co. aka “The Russian Costco.” Still worthwhile, but I assume it was the sanctions that led to fewer items directly from Russia. They still have plenty from the countries that used to be part of the USSR and Eastern Europe, but I used to see things like butter and milk imported from Russia. They also used to have the entire side room dedicated solely to Russian chocolates, but that too is gone.

And, yes, they do carry a lot of tinned fish (and jarred fish). Plenty of kvass and Russian sodas (taragon, buratino, pear) as well.

3 Likes

Us former USSRians don’t make any distinctions about products from Russia vs former republics. We all shop at each other’s places, buy each other’s stuff

Oh. Buy Armenian jams. We have the best fruit in the world and it’s jarred fresh and so cheap

3 Likes

I did that just to point out that they aren’t getting some of the items they had before. Certainly didn’t mean it as a knock, I mean, I make trips there :slightly_smiling_face: It’s just that they aren’t as deeply stocked as before, especially for some items. Even with that, there’s a good selection.

1 Like