Epicurus Gourmet (North Hollywood) - The New Epicure Imports

PSA: They have black burgundy truffles available for order this week and min is only 2 oz at $24/oz. I thought 3 oz was a bit much so this should be much more manageable for most.

Eataly in Century City has “Fall truffles” at $0.99 per oz last week. No minimum! Although this is "fall’ truffles and not summer truffles mentioned, and will not have the same intensity as Winter Black truffles. I am surprised to learn from Epicurus Gourmet’s website’s suggestion/recommendation that one spike these ‘fall’ truffles with truffle oils or truffle salts as practiced by restaurants to enhance the results.

Fresh truffles for dollar an Oz? That doesn’t sound right.

Even west coast California Oregon truffles aren’t that cheap

Sorry, it was $0.99 per gram.

ha!

Just went to Epicurus for the first time a couple of days ago. It really was fantastic food, for fantastic prices. Thanks for the info FTC!

I also heard from them that they recently took over the adjacent warehouse space, so they’re going to be expanding (I think they said 4x the space), with a walk-in fridge, and walk-in freezer in the reconfigured space. Definitely worth keeping an eye on!

4 Likes

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I went twice during his holiday season…and have become a fan of the butter waffle cookies on the first shelf when you walk in. My friends and I inhaled the caramel flavored ones…I need to go back and get more…it’s a great sweet snack!

2 Likes

Pulling this thread forward as I know many of us are looking for flour and yeast. Epicurus has it in spades, and, for now, gets a new shipment every Wednesday. As with all their merchandise it is fairly priced, $7.29 for a five pound bag of Giusto flour. 50 lb bags of flour are available, and they will order whatever you want. They are fully stocked with other items as well. They do not have the staff to do curbside, or delivery, but their sanitary practices are exemplary, and all the other shoppers I saw today were very respectful of social distancing. Its a big, open place and it is easy to maintain six feet between people. No cash, and you have to insert your own credit card. Highly recommend shopping there.

12 Likes

And not just flour!
Lots of great gourmet products!
Great cheese, olive oils, smoked fish etc.
Perfect sanitary practice and now traffic make it the place to go to stock up on provisions!

6 Likes

Update on Epicurus. They have lots of flour and instant yeast, but are having trouble getting active dry yeast. Hillary told me they are having also troubles with getting French shipments in, so if you want some epoisse at a great price go soon. They have started replacing European products with American ones so instead of Bartolini cannellinis I bought Rancho Llano Seco cannellinis from Chico. Hillary warned me not to soak them too long, if at all, as they are very fresh dried beans (sounds like an oxymoron). Once again they are very strict about social distancing and masks, and have hand sanitizer available. No cash, and you have to insert your credit card yourself. As traffic is pretty non-existent I highly recommend you make the trek to North Hollywood if you need any great ingredients.

6 Likes

Thanks so much for the update!! I haven’t been back to Epicure Imports in ages… Not since they moved… I hardly find myself in the Valley, but fate had us there today, so we swung over…

This place is smaller, but it much more organized IMHO. I appreciated the ‘system’ they had including santizer right when you walk in…

But we were here for SAF yeast… Instant is just fine for us. we mostly bake sandwich bread loaves so we were thrilled to restock…

I thought was it… I was just at Monsieur Marcels so I thought I was good on fancy groceries… but then I turned the corner and realized… I need some Dijon…

Snax… (I actually did get a 1lb bag of the spicy ones…)

OMG! Tostones!! Trader Joes also just started selling Tostones Chips like these (NOT the plaintain chips) but they aren’t Sweet Chili!

Pursed the refigerated cases. I did get some skinny frozen Sicillian sausages… but resisted the Pates (so hard)

Happy to see the Meredith Farms Feta as sometimes it’s hard to find… so many goat cheeses in oil products aren’t nearly as good…

Some truly beautiful Vanilla Beans! Great price!

Thomas Keller Chocolates… I’m enjoying a Milk Chocolate with Coffee one right as I type this. Amazingly rich… but still so deep in chocolate flavor

Also, I had to pick up one of these mini cans of Ortiz… I’ve only had their jarred tuna, but now after @TheCookie talked about this… I’ll give it a go along with a new brand they are carrying, La Brujula.

Also got some fancy soy sauce I’ve been wanting to try but it’s been too expensive at Monsier Marcels to pull the trigger, some mini frozen baguettes to see how they stack up to the ones at Surfas and La Quercia Panchetta because that’s a staple for us anyway… It was so tempting to get more and more…

All in all a very successful trip and my pantry is thankfully quite well stocked now!

15 Likes

Thanks for the great pics!

2 Likes

They are great people. So glad you could make it there! We Valley denizens have been hoarding it for too long. They have really great caviar as well. I am thinking about splurging on the bottarga, except my lovely wife is not a big seafood fan.
Edited to note that Wednesday is the day they get flour in and it is high quality for a great price. They will also order anything you want that they can get.
I highly recommend the pear nectar. Its worth the trip, especially since traffic is so minimal.

5 Likes

Excellent!

1 Like

Going today to pick up some items. Any places nearby worth picking up some lunch for the family?

1 Like

Skaf’s and Sri Siam are both nearby.

2 Likes

As @mrgreenbeenz points out if you go west on Sherman Way you come across a good number of Thai places. There is also a good taco/seafood cocktiel joint, Tacos El Zorro, on the northeast corner of Coldwater and Sherman Way.
If you go east on Sherman Way on the north side of the street is Salsa and Beer.
You could always ask Hillary for suggestions. I know she likes the Syrian place on Oxnard and Hazeltine.

Krua Thai on Sherman Way (don’t know what their current situation is like)

2 Likes

Thanks! I quickly looked up those two recs before I left and wasn’t really feeling like Lebanese or thai food, so I just came straight home w/o picking up lunch.

Wish I would have seen @ebethsdad recs as tacos sounds good.

I’ve bookmarked for next time!