Escondido- Near SD Safari Park

I’m going to the San Diego Safari Park so I’m looking for someplace nearby to eat outside the park.

There doesn’t seem like there’s a lot of options so the only place I’ve found so far is the Maricos German brick and mortar location in Escondido.

I’ve heard good things in the past about the Maricos German food trucks. I haven’t heard too much, good or bad about this brick and mortar site, but the yelp ratings for this location is kinda low.

Anything else nearby, or would Oceanside/Carlsbad be a better spot to find something to eat after going to the park?

What are you looking for? What type of food? A nice sit down place?

If it is for lunch (or late afternoon snack) Escogelato is great - really nice paninis and some of the best gelato in SD

No, not a nice sit down place where you have you dress up- after a full day walking around the Safari Park I will be hot, sweaty, and wearing shorts.

And, after paying ticket prices for the park, I would want to avoid something too expensive.

Ideally, I’d like something you can’t get in OC/LA or is a better version of that food. So, I wouldn’t want Asian food in Escondido when the Asian food will be better in OC/LA.

Well, that rules out everything. I’m not joking. There are good options but temper your expectations.

Mexican:
Mariscos German (prices have skyrocketed since Covid but still good)
Mi Rancho Market (hole in the wall but my favorite)
Birrieria ay Jalisco
Phatties (vegetarian)
Elote
Four Tunas fish and bar (good, nice outdoor patio)
TJ tacos (similar to Tacos El Gordo)

Other
Stone Brewing (nice atmosphere, so so food)
Ali Baba
Cuscatlan (pizza and pupusas, I’ve never been but love their menu)

San Marcos
Buona Forchetta
Manna bbq
Draft republic (see Stone)

Rancho Bernardo
Burma place
The shop + pizza and cocktails (great deep dish pizza similar to Little Star in Bay Area)
Phil’s bbq (not authentic but still good)

Vista
URBN
Vamos a Texcoco

Have a nice time. Take the tram around especially if you got kids as the park is huge.

1 Like