Everyone is Irish on St. Paddy's Day, March 17th!

How do you mark the occasion? Do you cook up some traditional Irish favorites? Do you have a favorite venue? Please share…

If everyone were Irish, they’d all go to church, then they’d all go to the pub for a pint or two and sing a bunch of Irish songs, you know, like Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson. And since the whole family’s there they’d all go home instead of having a third, fourth, and tenth pint.

In the US, I stay the fuck home.

I guess you never went to Harrington’s on Front St. in the SF Financial District.
https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/Harrington-s-Bar-bids-farewell-to-San-Francisco-15614217.php

A regular after work place for those of us who worked in the area. On St. Patrick’s Day the bar was filled to overflowing and people outside would bring six packs of beef that they would put at their feet.

I worked around the corner and it was in the regular rotation for after-work drinks but not on fucking St. Patrick’s Day. One time I was on my way to the gym in the early afternoon and there were already people falling-down drunk.

I didn’t go there then either :slight_smile:

I actually kinda/sorta met my husband there :slight_smile:

1 Like

It falls on a weekend this year. Drink responsibly, as they say. My live in chef makes a killer Irish Soda Bread. Love it with a smear…

2 Likes

1 Like

https://nitrosurge.guinness.com/

Just as the Irish culinary community has adopted corned beef, now I am noticing curry showing up on Irish tavern menus, as in Irish Chicken Curry. Not a knock, but when did this happen?

2 Likes

In the Irish Times’ archive, the first mention of a restaurant serving curry is in 2012.

What could possibly make chicken curry Irish? Do they microwave it without taking it out of the cellophane packet?

1 Like

If you want to have the whole corned beef and cabbage prepared meal, Gelsen’s is offering it.

This weekend was the kickoff for St. Patrick’s Day parades in our surrounding suburban towns here in New York. My home chef surprised me with one of her delicious Irish Soda Breads, and a full roasted corned beef dinner with cabbage, small creamy potatoes, and carrots. Hot (Polish) and mild mustards on the side. It was delish! It was not the traditional prep. She said she used Lee Drummond’s recipe…

2 Likes

Corned beef is not Irish.

1 Like

One of our fave breakfast spots is having this menu for a week.

They make their corned beef hash with house cooked corned beef and it is SO good.

2 Likes

You are absolutely right, robert. I posted just above that corned beef was adopted by the Irish years ago. Immigrants living on old New York City discovered corned beef at hundreds of Jewish/Eastern European delis that existed at that time. I was told by quite a few Irish old timers that you would not recognize the Irish bacon the poor had to consume. It was barely palatable.
I recall years ago visiting the legendary Carnegie Deli in Manhattan on St. Paddy’s Day. The place was packed with Irish patrons.
In the meantime, there are thousands of Irish pubs and taverns serving the corned beef platter, and that’s fine with me. There are more authentic traditional dishes, too…

1 Like

I’m curious how many foods are indigenous to certain groups? Hardly anything from the South, I’d say.

That would make for an interesting post all its own, catholiver.
In the meantime, we made some Reubens with some of our leftover corned beef. The Irish Soda Bread went so well with our scrambled eggs over the weekend. Home chef
will be baking up more for the kids, too. Delish!

1 Like

Enjoy the blarney, and drink responsibly…

1 Like