Exploring Tehrangeles - The Interesting Persian Stews, Grilled Kabobs, Flavorful Rice Dishes, and Persian Ice Cream of Taste of Tehran, Attari Sandwich Shop, Shaherzad and Saffron & Rose [Thoughts + Pics]

Hi @ediner,

Thanks! Just looked at my picture of the menu and I see in small print, you can add Sangak bread for an extra $2.50 for certain dishes (like the Ab-Goosht). I’ll have to try that next time! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sangak Grill on Pico closed earlier last summer. Bummer because they also had really good kabobs.

There are so many Persian places to try in Westwood. I’m glad you also included Saffron Rose Ice cream. I work a couple blocks away and it makes a nice treat during lunch. Sheherazad is one of the best in the area. I also liked Farsi Cafe and Shamshiri. I haven’t tried Flame or the new one Toranj yet.

1 Like

I’m getting dizi… The Armenian abgoosht AKA dizi (made with beef not lamb, which would be more Iranian I’m told) was really nice at Nersses Vanak this week. To get the textural level adjusted to your liking, I recommend mashing at the table it yourself with a metal pestle (instead of having the kitchen do it before bringing it out).

A pleasant surprise was that the beef barg was extremely succulent and flavorful. Baghali polo supplemental (instead of the regular basmati rice) was a nice touch also.

Lots of locals, friendly service, and a lively dining room. Armenian, Farsi, and Russian all overheard in the dining room. Great little spot!

7 Likes

Thanks for the report back @J_L! Looks delicious. Can’t wait to try all those dishes. :slight_smile:

1 Like