Family of 4 < $25 a meal? (LA or OC)

My business partner and his family love those chickens.

1 Like

Your local Ralphs will do it. At least mine will.

Very good tip. Thanks.

2 bowls of ramen and 2 small bowls of chicken kaarage was enough for 2 of us and a 6 yr old. (Plus some noodles for the baby) at Kitakata in Buena Park. Right around $25 pre tip.

and, of all the options, it probably provided the most healthful food (lots of fruits and vegetables available) and the most variety of food and, given that it is ayce, the most volume of food.

1 Like

donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen anyone throw out Chego yet, but for $25 you could get two bowls and a vegetable, which would pretty well feed 4 - I always get at least two meals out of their rice bowls, and I think theyā€™re pretty spectacular. And thereā€™s Scoops two doors down for dessert.

2 Likes

Good call. Buena Park is much better in terms of parking. I donā€™t think we get out under $25 bc my kids love that cha shu but its pretty close.

The food court at the Square in Rosemead (San Gabriel Bl. @ Garvey Ave.) has nine stalls with with a wide assortment of dishes. Youā€™d be hard pressed to spend more than $7 on a single dish and there are quite a few that are much cheaper.

2 Likes

If youā€™re ever in West LA, Bruā€™s Counter does a family dinner (fried or roasted chicken) for $26, I think (to-go only, I think). I canā€™t remember the specifics of what comes w/ the dinner, but Iā€™ll check next time Iā€™m thereā€¦

Yeah, that is always our downfall there

Menu from Shau May (Monterey Park)

Rolling Wok is cheaper, and gnarlier.

I think this is turning out to be one of the coolest discussions of the yearā€¦I like seeing everyoneā€™s ideas on how a family can eat out without breaking the bank.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s the ā€œoh shit I only have $20ā€ option - Nha Hang $1.99 in Garden Grove. Most of the menu isnā€™t 1.99 anymore and most of it only qualifies as sustenance, but the Cornish game hen dish is (or was) legitimately good for the price. You want extra sauce.

Pics ripped from Yelp.

I have probably eaten this >100 times in my life.

2 Likes

@Ns1 I remember when the $1.99 joints were all the rageā€¦my grandpa used to want to have family dinners there all the time. Some were very good, while others were not so much. I canā€™t even remember the ones we would frequent.

I had to look them up again - the one by my parents house closed down :frowning:

Conversely Iā€™m pretty amazed this one has actually managed to stick around.

1 Like

For dirt cheap pho, you could do Buu Dien in Chinatown. Their banh mi are ridiculously cheap too.

Great. Something closeā€¦ To me :grin:.

Amen

For anybody living near Brea - Mendocino Farms has Thursday kids eat free with the purchase of an entree.