Fantastic Japanese Tapas (Izakaya) hits West Hollywood - Aburiya RAKU - pictures

What’s the base on the salmon/ikura don? Looks like some sort of dried noodles?

Looks like tamago (egg) slivers…

1 Like

Rice. There is a thin layer of these yellow strips which I do think are tamago slivers as J_L pointed out.

2 Likes

Got it.

For the tofu, did they pack the sauce/broth separately?

Yeah definitely thinly sliced tamago and rice underneath that layer.

But that might be a fun fusion idea… salmon sashimi and ikura on top of brothless PRD egg noodles with char siu lo mein sauce…

2 Likes

It is packed separately both sauce and broth. They also give you miso soup and roasted green tea.
I must say all was very well thought through.

2 Likes

Hi @beam,

So glad you enjoyed your Takeout meal as well. :slight_smile: Thanks for the report back!

I live in Van Nuys. Reading this topic currently borders on masochism.

4 Likes

Actually the absence of traffic these days allows for some very adventurous take out runs.

4 Likes

yes - one of the plusses for sure

I’d be surprised if your drive took you more than 20 mins each way. You should try it and let us know. :slight_smile:

I don’t have a car and bus travel is far too dangerous for someone like me.

Ah, makes sense.

Did someone post elsewhere that Raku delivers? Van Nuys is pretty far, but who knows? They might be willing to deliver.

Update XX (To-Go, part 2):

As we walked into Aburiya Raku to pick up our order To-Go, they had more signs posted up about their impressive Sake selection being on sale for 20 - 30% off:

One of Aburiya Raku’s best dishes has always been their Secret Menu Kamameshi (Iron Pot Rice) dish. It turns out it’s still available! :open_mouth:

(Secret Menu) Kamameshi (Iron Pot Rice with Salmon and Ikura (Salmon Roe)):

However, with a large, piping hot batch of freshly made Rice (enough to feed 3 - 5 people), they don’t have any container to package this, so it’s not offered normally.

What to do?

Learn from our FTC legend @PorkyBelly!

Bring Your Own Rice Cooker:

(The Rice Cooker transport method was perfect - it kept the Kamameshi Rice warm all the way back to the Westside with no problem (and no traffic).) :blush:

Taking a bite:

SERIOUSLY.

In these dark times, we all need our comfort food. The combination of freshly made Rice - toothsome, plump, outstanding texture - made just for this order, in a Kama (Iron Pot), with quality Salmon and Ikura (Salmon Roe), mixed with Nori (Seaweed), Ginger create this incredible confluence of real, mouth-watering umami flavors, hitting all your senses, and bringing total joy!

SO GOOD! :heart: :blush: :heart:

One of the Best Bites we’ve had during this pandemic and just as good as Raku when they were open! (@PorkyBelly @J_L @JeetKuneBao @attran99 @TheCookie @paranoidgarliclover @beefnoguy @A5KOBE @Ns1 and others!)

(Special Order) Bara Chirashi Bento Box:

It turns out Raku’s current Assistant Chef, Jimmy Sugishita (who previously studied under Mori Sushi and Hayato) is doing Special Orders for a Bara Chirashi Bento Box! (Thanks @NYCtoLA for the info.)

Sugishita-san will prepare them and have them ready for you to pick up at Raku at your agreed upon time. Nice.

First impressions are stunning: Each Bara Chirashi Box is wrapped up on cloth, and put in actual laquerware (that you get to keep)! :open_mouth: It’s beautiful for a “To Go” item. :blush:

Opening up the Chirashi Bento…

Hon-Maguro (Otoro + Chutoro) (Medium Fatty Tuna Belly and Fattiest Tuna Belly); Kinmedai (Splendid Alfonsino) Seared with Binchotan Charcoal; Ni-Anago(Simmered Conger Eel); Tai (Japanese Sea Bream); Ikura (Salmon Roe) Marinated in Dashijoyu; Shiitake-ni (Simmered Shiitake Mushrooms); Atsuyaki Tamago (Japanese Egg Castella-Style); Kinshi Tamago (Shredded Egg); Kyuri Sunomono (Pickled Japanese Cucumbers); Freshly Grated Wasabi:

Taking a bite: Outstanding! :heart:

The sheer variety of quality Fish (from Japan), individually prepared, seasoned made all the difference. I think Sugishita-san heard @PorkyBelly because our Chirashi Bento’s Rice was seasoned. :slight_smile: Not as nicely seasoned as Sushi Rice that you’re used to, but it was seasoned now.

I loved the Kinmedai (Splendid Alfonsino) seared with Binchotan Charcoal! It lent a real deep smokiness.

The pops of Marinated Ikura (Salmon Roe) added sufficient salinity to each bite that you didn’t really need to use the impressive Daiginjo Shoyu (high grade Soy Sauce) that was included.

Sugishita-san’s Atsuyaki Tamago was truly Castella-like, light and fluffy, giving little bits of sweetness to balance out the salinity. The Otoro and Chutoro were lovely. :heart:

We enjoyed this Bara Chirashi more than Sushi Ginza Onodera LA’s version (that was more than 200% the cost), although that one was still enjoyable.

I count my blessings during this pandemic, and am glad to see some great culinary offerings that are still available for Takeout. Definitely worth a try. :slight_smile:

Note: For the Bara Chirashi Bento, you should contact Chef Sugishita via his Instagram to pre-order:

Aburiya Raku
521 N. La Cienega Blvd.
West Hollywood, CA 90048
Tel: (213) 308-9393
http://aburiyarakula.wixsite.com/weho

13 Likes

I’m picking up my chirashi tomorrow. But I wasn’t able to order anything from Raku. Chef said there wouldn’t be any staff to prep it.

1 Like

How much was the chirashi?

1 Like

Hi @attran99,

Hope you enjoy your chirashi! :slight_smile: And in the future, the regular Raku Bento Box is wonderful (as is the Salmon Bowl) and a few other items. :slight_smile:

1 Like

LEGEND

2 Likes

$70

3 Likes

Thanks for the info! Sounds like a great deal. Need to hit up IG this week :drooling_face:

2 Likes