Fantastic Japanese Tapas (Izakaya) hits West Hollywood - Aburiya RAKU - pictures

I’m not much of a sake aficionado, but I thought it went well with the food. This is the bottle of Snow Shadow at a very reasonable $50. Had a long finish with floral notes. I’m not sure if the bottle was leaking on the bottom but the sake disappeared really fast.

3 Likes

I haven’t had a chance to really delve into sake. I’m going to have to read this thread, again, for mid-range sakes to pair with our upcoming meal in Vegas. Thanks for the Snow rec!

Hi @attran99,

Give Tedorigawa Kinka Daiginjo Sake a try. Very fairly priced, delicious and a favorite of ours for easy, smooth drinking. :blush:

3 Likes

Thanks, @Chowseeker1999! Advice heeded.

1 Like

Agreed, that Tedorigawa Kinka Daiginjo Arabashiri is like a fruity/aromatic Gewürztraminer with a dry finish. Can handle spice and some heat very nicely too (think Cantonese typhoon shelter crab or Newport Lobster, perfect with it surprisingly)

2 Likes

The Kinka will be a great match with foie.

It looks like Vegas Raku also has Taka Tokubetsu Junmai, that one works exactly like a White Burgundy Chablis Premiere Cru (the master brewer Takashiro Nagayama worked with Philippe Pacalet, loves White Burgundy himself). Taka is excellent with shellfish, including lobster and raw oysters and of course seafood, and is surprisingly good with pasta as well. If you need more than one bottle, then consider starting with Taka and then Kinka. Vegas Raku also has Matsu No Kotobuki (looks like Ginjo but if the Junmai is available, get that instead). The Ginjo would be a great starter for sashimi, just basically clean fare. The Junmai holds up more with a wider range, but has some fantastic tropical fruit tart aromas (plum, passionfruit). Alternatively if they offer by the glass, try those to taste first with appetizers/sashimi, and then just get a bottle of Kinka for the rest of the meal.

2 Likes

almost exactly five months later, here is my write-up of our lunch at raku on our last trip to l.a. we somehow managed to spend almost twice as much as we had on our previous visit. a little bummed to think that with my mother-in-law’s impending move to seal beach, we’re less likely to make it to raku on every future trip. koreatown is really pretty central for eating in l.a.

highlights of this meal: the poached egg with uni and ikura, the liver, kurobuta pork cheek and tendon skewers.

2 Likes

Has anyone been lately? We were thinking of introducing our nephew to Raku, but haven’t heard much about it since Chef Matt departed. I would go regardless but I want him to have the primo experience his first time. :thinking:

Maybe 2 times in the last 6 months.
They do seem to be morphing in some way that I cannot put my finger on.
I even asked if they were under new management.
It was still good but:
a) not as good, for the most part, as previous years
b) the menus (both regular and blackboards) keep getting smaller.

Interesting you mention Chef Matt: I am going to Shibumi tonight where there have been recent rumors of Matt sightings.

5 Likes

Okay. Looking forward to reading about Shibumi!

Update TO-GO:

When the restaurant shutdown happened, Aburiya Raku (both Las Vegas and L.A. locations) closed down. However, with the shutdown extension, it seems Raku has now started up Takeout & Delivery options as a means of survival.

Raku has always had exceptional execution for most of its menu items, but how would their culinary execution fair with a limited menu focused on To-Go and Delivery items only? Only one way to find out…

We noticed a change of ownership notice in the window(!). Speaking with a staff member, they confirmed that Raku was originally being sold, but with the pandemic, it seems the deal is going to be cancelled and Raku will remain with the original Chef-Owner Mitsuo Endo.

Walking in, they have a sign stating all of their (impressive) Sake menu is available for sale for Takeout. :slight_smile:

American Kobe Beef Skirt Steak Bowl:

The presentation and packaging are excellent and professional. Taking a bite, lightly smoky, beefy, delicious aromatic fattiness from this American Kobe Beef! :blush: The Steamed Rice is excellent! Plump morsels, nice density and toothsome quality. A good blend of meatiness with some fattiness.

(Alternate Pics):

Every Takeout Bowl comes with their Housemade Miso Soup and Side Salad.

Miso Soup:

Raku’s Housemade Miso Soup is balanced, not overly salty nor too earthy as some versions can be. Warming and spot-on for this rainy weather. :slight_smile:

Side Salad:

Raku’s Side Salad isn’t a throwaway item as some places might be. It’s a good combination of different Mixed Greens, they take the time to hand cut their Radishes into Sakura (Japanese Cherry Blossom) shapes(!), and their Housemade Dressing is incredible! (Same one used in their outstanding Ken2 Salad. :heart:

Salmon Sashimi, Ikura (Salmon Roe) Bowl:

While they may not be serving their legendary Kanpachi (Amberjack) or Shima Aji (Striped Jack) Sashimi right now, the Salmon Sashimi & Ikura (Salmon Roe) Rice Bowl is simply outstanding! :heart:

Super bright, fresh, lightly fatty, delicious slices of Salmon Sashimi, mixed with pristine, popping Ikura (Salmon Roe), and unlike many places right now that have to give you mass-produced Soy Sauce packets, Aburiya Raku packages their Special Housemade Soy Sauce with this Bowl! (For those that haven’t had it, Raku has their own special blend / Housemade Soy Sauce that is more complex, rounder, nowhere as salty as generic Soy Sauce, and with this Salmon Sashimi Bowl, with their excellent Steamed Rice (as perfectly cooked as usual - toothsome, not overly mushy, nor dried out), you have one of the best Sashimi Bowls To-Go in L.A. right now. :heart: (@PorkyBelly @J_L @TheCookie @attran99 @A5KOBE @Ns1 @CiaoBob and others.)

(Alternate Pics):

Takana Inari (Fried Tofu Pouch Stuffed with Rice Mixed with Japanese Mustard Greens):

Ah how I missed Raku’s Inari! :slight_smile: Raku’s Housemade Inari (usually seen as one of the “filler” items in a Sushi Combo at many local restaurants) is nothing like what you might be used to having for Inari.

It starts with their Housemade Fried Tofu Pouch, texturally more refined, delicate and more flavorful, and it’s stuffed with perfectly cooked Takana Gohan (their own Housemade Japanese Mustard Greens mixture with Steamed Rice). It is so good! Even To-Go it’s as good as it used to be! :heart:

Raku Bento Box (Choice of Karaage (Japanese Fried Chicken), Steak or Grilled Salmon; Mixed Green Salad, Seasonal Japanese Appetizers (Fried Shrimp x 2, Grilled Okra, Roasted Cherry Tomatoes, Tamagoyaki (Rolled Egg Omelette, Poached Mushroom, Crispy Battered Asparagus, Roasted Whitefish, and Housemade Chilled Tofu); and Choice of Blue Crab or Philadelphia Cut Roll):

First, the presentation is gorgeous. Raku packages every To-Go Bento Box in a reinforced paper / cardboard Bento Box, that is lacquered on the outside and inside to resemble a real wooden Bento Box. :slight_smile:

Every component is thoughtfully arranged and it makes for a visually appealing lunch, to feast with your eyes and your mouth.

Mixed Green Salad:

As with their Takeout Bowls, the Mixed Green Salad is not an afterthought: Fresh, interesting mix of Greens, hand cut Radishes in the shape of Sakura (Japanese Cherry Blossoms), their delicious Housemade Sesame Salad Dressing (from the Ken2 Salad) and it’s a great start to the meal. :slight_smile:

Karaage (Japanese Fried Chicken):

Ever since Raku opened, they have never featured a traditional Karaage (Japanese Fried Chicken). Instead, they’ve always had their elevated take on Karaage with the Fried Chicken Skin on the outside, and moist Chicken Breast within, rolled and sliced in layers.

For this new Raku Bento Box, they have finally done a more traditional Karaage: Lightly crunchy, battered pieces of Fried Chicken, tasting so flavorful (pretty sure it’s their Asajime Chicken (Chicken dispatched the same day) that made their Yakitori so standout before). Some of the best Karaage we’ve had in a long time! :heart:

• PSA: The Karaage does not travel well (it will steam in the enclosed Bento). Eat ASAP in your car if possible.

Seasonal Japanese Appetizers (Fried Shrimp x 2, Grilled Okra, Roasted Cherry Tomatoes, Tamagoyaki (Rolled Egg Omelette, Poached Mushroom, Crispy Battered Asparagus, Roasted Whitefish, and Housemade Chilled Tofu):

The Fried Shrimp (x 2) were very good, briny, crunchy morsels.

I loved the Roasted Whitefish (Chilled), the Okra, the Asparagus. The Tamagoyaki (Rolled Egg Omelette) was moist, tender, pillow-like. :slight_smile:

The surprise was the back “corner” of that section of the Bento Box revealed a nice portion of their Housemade Chilled Tofu! For those that haven’t had it, Raku’s Housemade Tofu is outstanding: Nutty, lightly earthy, great texture, and it’s served with fresh Grated Ginger, Katsuoboshi (Bonito Flakes), Negi (Green Onions) and their great Housemade Special Soy Sauce. :blush:

Blue Crab Cut Roll:

When the question was asked of us to choose either the Blue Crab or Philadelphia Cut Roll, the answer was easy. :wink:

The Blue Crab Cut Roll was phenomenal! :heart: Light briny (in a good way), sweeter than Shunji’s To-Go version, and the Rice was outstanding! Much better than Shunji’s To-Go version. We were shocked. :heart: :blush: :heart:

(Obviously dining in at Shunji is a completely different experience, but for the battle of the To-Go Blue Crab Cut Roll execution, Raku’s was far superior.) (@PorkyBelly @TheCookie @JeetKuneBao @beefnoguy @Ns1 @attran99 and others.)

(Alternate Pics):

While Aburiya Raku’s greatest strengths - its outstanding Yakitori, Izakaya dishes, fresh Sashimi from Japan and other Daily Specials - are not available for Takeout right now, the menu offerings that are available range from very good-to-outstanding. From the professional presentation and packaging, to the outstanding execution, every single To-Go menu item was noteworthy.

We liked their meaty American Kobe Skirt Steak Bowl (great delicious beefy flavor). Their Salmon Sashimi & Ikura Bowl was even better, and one I could eat every day! :heart: Add to that their legendary Takana Inari, and finally the Raku Bento Box, which is a treasure trove of very good items.

For the value and satisfaction level, at $38 for the Bento Box, this is the most satisfying Bento Box To-Go that we’ve tried right now. The Karaage (Japanese Fried Chicken), the Seasonal Appetizers and the Blue Crab Cut Roll were all standouts.

Aburiya Raku
521 N. La Cienega Blvd.
West Hollywood, CA 90048
Tel: (213) 308-9393

https://aburiyarakula.wixsite.com/weho

19 Likes

:scream:
Is it possible for me plan a bang and have Raku and Shunji in the same day? I hope I can do it.
Online Bento has different rolls listed. Salmon and club rolls.

6 Likes

I believe I posted several months ago (or at least I THOUGHT I should be posting) about the contracting menu/depleted special options and many other disappointing things at AR. I was sure a sale was in the works, and even asked some staff members (who denied it). The quality - on most things I had - was close enough that I just ate it but felt the end was near.

1 Like

Hi @attran99,

You can do it! :slight_smile: Just make sure if you order the Karaage that you enjoy that as soon as possible (in your car). :slight_smile: I think the “club roll” on their website is Google Translate fail for “crab roll” (“ku-ra-bu”)? :smile:

Hope you enjoy it both places!

2 Likes

do you think it is possible to also get agedashi tofu?

2 Likes

going! tonight! pick up that is.

1 Like

Hi @beam,

Yes, as @PorkyBelly mentioned they have Agedashi Tofu as well. Make sure you show up about 5 minutes before your pickup time, so you can ensure minimal time that your To-Go items are sitting waiting for you, especially since Agedashi Tofu is fried (you want to minimize that steaming time in the package). :wink:

Also, PSA: The 2 parking spots right in front of their main entrance (red parking meters) are safe to park in (no money needed), so you can get your order and be in and out quickly. :slight_smile:

appreciate the pro-tip!

1 Like

I was impressed with the bento box, salmon and ikura bowl, and agedashi tofu, it may have been one of the best take out results during this shutdown.
restaurant to table time was about 20 min.!

10 Likes