Farmers market, currently in season PSA

My point is that with a few exceptions such as apricots it’s really hard to find ripe fruit in this country, and letting unripe fruit get softer on the counter is no substitute.

People who’ve never had a ripe peach, nectarine, or cantaloupe have no idea how they’re being cheated.

2 Likes

PSA: been getting pretty kind stuff in my GrubMarket farm box and figured to post them here seeing as there’s a lot of the same farms & produce at FM.

Ken’s Top Notch Organic Red Grapes

Taste like cotton candy flavored grapes! :heart_eyes: The green grapes are Finger Grapes (notice the shape). I can’t remember if they’re from Ken’s but I think they’re more of a novelty purchase unless you like a more tart grape.

Ken’s Top Notch Organic Green Pluots

Look at that juice. Sooo sweet with a little tart and totally eat-over-the-sink juicy! Even better than the red flavorosa, Imo. Let it get really ripe. Maybe the best pluot/plum/apricot/whatever-it-is I’ve had. :hearts:

12 Likes

Rocky Sweet Melon - Munak Ranch

Got this sweet, juicy melon with a blend of honeydew & cantaloupe flavors from GrubMarket, but can be found at Munak Ranch’s farm stand at the Santa Monica FM.

9 Likes

The board favorite Tenerelli Somersets are back @Bagel @TheCookie

(maybe not quite ready for the Sunday markets tomorrow though, not sure)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiVWSonJKyC/

From Tenerelli - “Yellow with little to no blush visible, the Somerset is a freestone peach with a distinct, bold flavor. It’s sweet and juicy with a slightly tart bite. Our Somersets have a nice texture and are perfect on their own or to bake with!”

Pictures from last year

11 Likes

Thanks @Yoda! :yum: I’ve got a farm box coming tomorrow but hopefully the Somersets will still be available next weekend. Here’s a peach bread pudding with Somersets I made a couple summers ago.

11 Likes

Someone asked them about availability today at Mar Vista, and they said that they might have the previous varietal if the Somersets aren’t ready. Their mailing list e-mail also said that they’re going to start picking the Somersets for their shipped boxes on Monday, so based on that, I expect next weekend’s FMs to have them.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! But dangit what a terrible time for me to be out of town during the weekdays (and thus limiting my ability to eat peaches) :sob:.

They just told me they are supposed to be going out to markets another 5 weeks or so though so I think I’ll be able to squeeze in some of the last batch of peaches which I remember being great too.

2 Likes

Goody. :blush:

1 Like

Ken’s Top Notch Organic Thomcord Grapes

A softer grape with sweet being the dominant flavor. Some have seeds which is good if you’re like me who distrusts the health benefits of seedless fruit.

5 Likes

Are these the grapes where you suck out the juice and don’t eat the skins?

1 Like

Awww I don’t know. Do those type of grapes have tough skins? These are soft.

I felt like the Japanese grapes I got at Ken’s top notch were kinda like that. Super juicy inside skins were edible but quite chewy.

3 Likes

Okay, I just sucked a few out of the skin. Calm down boys. It’s Quite easy and a little lychee-like texture inside. Trying the skin again it’s maybe a tad chewy, chalky.

4 Likes

Concords in general have been my favorite fruit at the market last few weeks.

3 Likes

Various melons have also been good (besides watermelons, where my incredible summer-long streak of picking absolute trash melons continues unabated)

2 Likes

Hopefully they have some of these grapes Saturday at Irvine. We love this variety. Most people suck the juice out of the skin and don’t eat the skin. My son eats everything. I used to eat the seeds when I was little.

Korean people call them Korean grapes
Japanese people call them Japanese grapes
I think the actual variety name is Concord

1 Like

Thomcords are a hybrid of Concord and Thompson.

3 Likes

There’s very few seeds in these and they’re not big so it’s not a problem eating them. Happy :grapes: hunting!

Just like the Wiltern Theater and Linbrook Bowl :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Their season just ended, but Magical Grapes has the Shinano Smile.

From their website: “It is the grandson of the Kyoho grape. The grapes have the tough skin characteristic of Japanese grapes, which allows them to pop right out of the skin. (Many people eat them as they are.)”

When I got them in 2020:

4 Likes