Favorite Restaurants San Fernando Valley (SFV)?

And this is SFV why?

I feel that the problem with Dog Haus (In general for me) is that they’re always oversauced and a bit of too much of “too much of something”…excuse me while i post half drunk

What are you gonna eat when you are hungry drunk?

1 Like

Tonight I was half drunk at The Girl and the Goat eating solo at the bar. Highly recommend!

9 Likes

Yeah, I generally agree. It’s not quite full Guy Fieri excess (sorry Fieri fans) but closer on the spectrum to Chego rice bowls (sorry Roy Choi fans). On rare occcasions I’ll still gobble up any and all of the above the same way that a Philly roll sometimes hits the spot.

2 Likes

Well Sam Woo BBQ in Van Nuys is closed. Now in its place is Sam Woo Village.

I’m sorry what. Next to 99 ranch? If so, same menu or different?

Yes, next to 99 Ranch. Driving by I noticed the change. After I saw the signage, I looked up Sam Woo BBQ on Yelp and it said permanently closed.

Haven’t checked the new menu yet.

Maybe @chandavkl can shed light. Maybe a casualty of the owners legal issues?

1 Like

Oh you just made me laugh. I am so used to proofreading myself - and failing - that your text read to me “I was amazed at how many typo’s they have, too!!”

:laughing: :laughing: :crazy_face:

But yay great breakfast burritos, wherever they are!

1 Like

Guessing that as one of the older Sam Woo branches, Van Nuys was one owned by the original founders, whose sons I believe were the ones involved with the tax fraud. Don’t think it’s a coincidence with San Gabriel and I believe Irvine branches having recently been sold.

3 Likes

Thanks for the response!!

Yelp has the new menu and it looks like they’re using the same menu.

1 Like

that reminds me of the trip we took to mexico to see the donkey show

1 Like

I tried Pita Pockets for the first time last week on Reseda in Northridge(photos from food gps and yelp sincer i doordash’d it). I wasn’t expecting much but it turned out pretty good actually with the bread being a highlight.

One of the few places doing proper fresh baked pita and not your standard grocery store garbage, which I appreciate a lot.

But their laffa bread was even better, I ordered some on the side just to try it but definitely goin with the wrap next time. I’d put it on par with Furnsaj. Didn’t try the falafel but the gyro was a tad bit on the dry side.

9 Likes

The place is pretty damn busy too. At least during lunch hours.

Yeah, I like that place too.

In that same shopping center is a not so bad Jewish bakery, mostly good for rye bread. Delicious Bakery has been around for years.

1 Like

Happy to read about this. I used to love visiting Ladyface and thought it was all closed. We live much closer now.

1 Like

The food is actually better than the old place at Ladyface. Skewers are a highlight as well as the burgers. Beer is still good. Always nice to sit on their deck as the sun goes down.

Did a Bang Bang Bang Bang in Glendale 2 weeks ago.

1st stop: Mini Kabob for meat combo (beef and chicken luleh), chicken cutlet a la carte, cucumber tomato Shirazi salad, Ikra egg plant caviar, hummus, Toum garlic sauce (not pictured) and off menu fried potatoes (see Mini Kabob thread for pic).

Ordered everything in advance via phone. Armen took my call - really nice over the phone and in person. I think I’ll place my order via Instagram DM next time.

2nd stop - Hamlet’s Kitchen for the infamous Khrchk pork cartilage rib tips - good, but at $30 a plate, it’s not in my budget to get regularly.

Language barrier was a bit of a challenge. Got the crabby looking kitchen cook to smile when I said bye bye to her in Armenian “Paka Paka.” She did a double take because she didn’t expect to hear it from me - Youtube videos came in handy. Gotta study more basic Armenian phrases before the next visit.

3rd stop - Zhengyalov Hatz for Zhengyalov ($6.99 before tax) aka Jingalov stuffed Armenian flatbread and for my sweet tooth Paxlava to take home ($4.49 before tax). Not the only Armenian bakery making the herb filled bread, but fun to see them making it and convenient to stop to snack and use the restroom (since restrooms weren’t available at Mini Kabob and Hamlet’s Kitchen during Covid times).

4th stop - grocery shopping for Armenian goods at Kozanian Ranch Market.

Pic of my haul at home - various Armenian and Georgian sodas (aka “lemonade”) in flavors such as pear, tarragon and barberry along with reasonably priced organic imported preserves (imported organic apricot preserves were on sale for $2.50!). I’ve purchased the Cornelian cherry preserves before at Karbagh market in East Hollywood and at Kosher and Persian markets in West LA and SaMo, too. As for the Ajika pepper paste jar in the bottom left, I found it near the butcher case at Kozanian Ranch Market - it’s a product made locally in Sun Valley. I don’t know if it’s available on the Westside.

5th stop - Art’s Cafe and Bakery
Browsed only because when I got there at 5p on a Sunday, I was told they weren’t taking any more orders for freshly grilled food for the day and that I should call in advance next time. :cry:

On a future trip I hope to try the beef and jalapeño cheese luleh kabobs @euno raved about on a recent Dave Chang podcast. The Berkshire pork ribs hanging in the chiller looked interesting. Also read about “ikibir” grilled pork bacon cubes and Uzbek beef onion fried rice so I’m curious about those items, too.

6th stop and 4th Bang - Papillon International Bakery, Central Ave. in Glendale (Note: Branches also in Los Feliz, Northridge, and Valley Glen)

I’m not a donut person, but couldn’t resist trying a Nutella filled Ponchik, which is kinda like a beignet-shaped filled donut. Used to be cheaper, but $2.50 is still inexpensive for a freshly made sweet treat!

Papillon Bakery makes these fresh to order so it comes out PIPING HOT :fire: from the fryer. My pic shows the Ponchik after I took a tiny bite, but the bites after that — gobs of warm, gooey, molten Nutella oozed out. Extremely messy with the generous sprinkling of powdered sugar, but delicious! Great way to end a 3 and a half hour day trip to Glendale.

29 Likes

Great trip report thru Glendale’s Armenian community. All of it looks and sounds delicious.

8 Likes

hi @foodshutterbug
nice banging :heart: great report.

6 Likes

this is big bang energy

3 Likes