Favorite Restaurants San Fernando Valley (SFV)?

Three great options. Absolutely no parking. Gonna be a blast.

2 Likes

Seconding this recommendation. I was frequenting Sam’s Kebabs quite a bit but overall feel Tignarkent has them bested on seasoning and overall kebab flavors. Ikibir and 2 sides smashed today.

They have their own version of eggplant caviar you can get as a side. Haven’t tried Mini Kabob yet so can’t compare but their caviar was damn tasty.

Pro tip: call ahead as you typically get quoted half an hour.

3 Likes

Eater just did a piece on fried chicken, which included “Mom’s Haus” fka “Mom’s BarBQ House”. This is the first time I have ever heard of this place.

Anyone? Yelp reviews are polarizing, esp between the old vs new incarnation.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/moms-haus-van-nuys

3 Likes

I ate there once years ago when I worked in the valley. Clearly that was the old iteration but it was very forgettable. I can’t recall what I ordered but I’m pretty sure I was trying to find BBQ so maybe it would have been better off to try something fried.

1 Like

I just mentioned it in the June rundown, June 2022 Rundown - #83 by ebethsdad
They do have excellent fried chicken!

3 Likes

It has gotten a lot better.

4 Likes

That’s awesome! They were a little far for me to try again easily but it seemed unfair to judge them for the one meal.

1 Like

Haven’t been since it was the old iteration but the move was always to avoid the bbq itself and get the fried fish and/or chicken.

One similar place I haven’t seen mentioned that I’m pretty sure still exists: Uncle Andre’s BBQ. Used to go all the time after school at Walter Reed a billion years ago and I think it’s still around. They’d give us french fries in a paper bag for a dollar and both the fries and the ketchup were really well seasoned and it was heaven for a teen. Did get the fried chicken a few times and I was a fan though again it has been a long time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Per a recent Google review, Uncle Andre’s is still open.

2 Likes

Pho So 1 on Sepulveda still my favorite Viet up in these parts. Though they stopped carrying the tri color drink which is bad news

Fatty brisket style today

Kid learned to use his sticks today! First time. Felt like first steps

Dip baby dip

13 Likes

The sugarfish empire just birthed another golden goose. Good luck with parking everybody.

5 Likes

They do great cha gio and strong iced coffee there too!

1 Like

I don’t think this is happening anymore. Nothing has changed on that site. I’m not 100% positive, but I don’t think I saw the “coming soon” sign when I drove by on the 101.

1 Like

Evidently the old Sportsmen’s Lodge is becoming a real heavy hitter. Per eater…

After opening its first brick-and-mortar Los Angeles location at Culver City’s Platform development in 2018, Brooklyn-based Roberta’s Pizza has expanded into another local upscale mall. On Wednesday, August 31, the woodfired pizza-maker unveiled a new outpost at the Shops at Sportsmen’s Lodge in Studio City. Roberta’s twelfth location worldwide joins other local food tenants at the new mixed-use redevelopment at the iconic Valley site, including Sugarfish, Tocaya Organica, and Hi-Ho Cheeseburger. Civil Coffee and Kismet Rotisserie are also slated to open outposts.

4 Likes

i used to a lot of salsa dancing there on fridays nights back in the day.

KazuNori combines a streamlined business model (no tipping, fast cover turnover, lean menu), with well-trained FOH+BOH and strong brand recognition. #PrintingTheirOwnMoney

3 Likes

How close is the crab hand rolls at Kazunori vs from Nozawa-san himself? I don’t give a crap that they are a chain I love those crab hand rolls.

1 Like

What is happening with what I thought was the main Salsa and Beer site on Sherman Way? The sign has been painted over with black paint and it looks like they are opening a new, smaller place a few doors down.

Sawtelle Westwood location been kinda suspect recently but I’ll leave it to staffing issues.

But agreed, amazing business model.

2 Likes

Sherman Way near Lankershim ?

I just ate there last week so no idea.

1 Like