Favorites at Trader Joe's?

Ah, yes, TJs.

Someone who works there told me they discontinue a certain percentage (6? 9?) of products every year based on which sell the least.

I thought it was far more often. I’m a HUGE fan of their Harvest Grains and in the past would make sure I had multiple bags on hand. Now you’ve made me nervous; I only have one!

1 Like

Doesn’t seem like it would be hard to duplicate that. It’s juat Israeli couscois, orzo, chana dal, and red quinoa.

I could but would I?

2 Likes

Damn that stuff is good. Took me like 60 seconds scanning the hummus area before I finally spotted it.

3 Likes

It’s an amazing recipe helper too, We’ve unsuccessfully tried to make Toum so many times… this flavor is just the perfect mellow garlic creaminess. It’s great in sauces, mixed in with rice and a spread for panninis.

3 Likes

Have you tried this? May 2022 Rundown - #53 by ebethsdad

I think I must be the only one who isn’t bowled over by TJ’s toum. It’s too mellow for me, although I can imagine it would work well as a recipe helper, as you mention.

1 Like

I believe that was one we tried, but it appears to have been updated. So perhaps we’ll give it a shot. I agree with you that the TJ’s Toum is more on the mellow side, I like it that way. A quick meal for us here is a packet of TJ’s Chicken Schwarma, a Packet of Frozen Naan and this Toum. Whip up a simple greek style salad and go to town…

2 Likes

Do Not Buy. This is gross.

10 Likes

mcgregor-the-delicious-monster

60% Chenin Blanc, 20% Muscat, 20% Chardonnay, dry, floral, fruity, 12.5% alcohol, excellent value at $6. For my taste it’s a little short of acid, but my taste is not most people’s.

5 Likes

Not a favorite, just posting here as I’m trying half a dozen cheap whites from TJ’s. Not bad for $6 but I’ll pay the extra $2 for the Sauvignon Republic (my current everyday white when I’m short of cash). For the price I prefer the Delicious Monster (though I might add a pinch of citric and/or malic acid).

1 Like

I tried the Mandela last week, I thought it was a bit on the sweet side and I also coincidentally picked up a bottle of the Sauv Republic as well. I liked that better… but I think in the less than $10 range for a SB at TJs the Babich is decent.

2 Likes

Haven’t had this in a few years. Still the only wine under $5 I"d be happy to drink. I didn’t like the rosé, it’s insipid and too sweet.

2 Likes

+1 for the Espiral Vinho Verde. Slightly effervescent and light on the alcohol. We always have a bottle on hand.

2 Likes

Same. It’s my summer party one for sure. I wish we had places with bigger selections of Vinho Verde… That is always the best part of going back to Boston/Rhode Island. The good stuff is really nice… Vinho Verde > Rose.

1 Like

Do they have the reds there?

I’m mad at trader joes for getting rid of my bacon and cheddar dip spread.

2 Likes

They got rid of the fridge-stable hollandaise and I’ve never fully recovered.

4 Likes

Reds? Espiral makes the Vinho Verde, which is white, and a rosé